The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Default I think I'm outgrowing GarageBand

GarageBand just has too many limitations, but I like the quality of recordings I can get through my iPhone and iPad using a good interface and microphone. So what app is the next step up? I want to continue to record onto my iPhone and iPad because of the ease and portability. So what's the next step up over GarageBand? I've been reading reviews for 2 days and every one of them walks on water and sucks at the same time. I've never had much luck going on reviews. LOL

What are you folks using successfully. I don't have a Mac laptop so it'll only be my iPad and iPhone 6. Thanks!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Some say multitrack daw is good. Im not sure it is a lot better than gband or not. The next step up is likely a mac with logic. I am contemplating such an upgrade myself
Old 12-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

I've just started recording to my iPad with Auria and have been happy with it (although admittedly I'm a novice). It's not an iPhone app though.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtckf View Post
Some say multitrack daw is good. Im not sure it is a lot better than gband or not. The next step up is likely a mac with logic. I am contemplating such an upgrade myself
I've heard that one is good too. GarageBand tries to be too easy and do too much for you that it becomes less functional for the things you know how to do on your own.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 PM

Try Cakewalk Sonor Platinium. Check it out.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
Try Cakewalk Sonor Platinium. Check it out.
That one isn't available for iOS platform. At least not for iPhone / iPad.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 12-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

One thing to think about is if you are ready to step up from GB then it may be time to also think about stepping up to a computer. The problem with any touch screen only device is not only the loss of screen real estate but also cursor click selection which actually is pretty limiting in terms of editing Audio and midi
Moving to computer greatly expands your DAW choices

If that is out of the question, it looks as if to get any significant feature set over GB you are probably going to loose iphone capability.
For ipad , probably Auria or Cubasis 2 are "the next step"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
One thing to think about is if you are ready to step up from GB then it may be time to also think about stepping up to a computer. The problem with any touch screen only device is not only the loss of screen real estate but also cursor click selection which actually is pretty limiting in terms of editing Audio and midi
Moving to computer greatly expands your DAW choices

If that is out of the question, it looks as if to get any significant feature set over GB you are probably going to loose iphone capability.
For ipad , probably Auria or Cubasis 2 are "the next step"
I don't want to upgrade to a Mac and my laptop has a crappy soundcard but is otherwise in great shape. So I'll just stick to iOS for now. The reason I mentioned using my iPhone is because it's newer and has a lot more memory than my iPad which is about 5 years old.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
I don't want to upgrade to a Mac and my laptop has a crappy soundcard but is otherwise in great shape. So I'll just stick to iOS for now. The reason I mentioned using my iPhone is because it's newer and has a lot more memory than my iPad which is about 5 years old.
Well there ya go

I was simply pointing out some of the reality of compromise to using mobile devices for mixing and editing audio .

As long as you understand that the only way to haul 4 X 8 ft. sheets of plywood in sports car, is to cut them up and chuck them behind the seats .... your good to go .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well there ya go

I was simply pointing out some of the reality of compromise to using mobile devices for mixing and editing audio .

As long as you understand that the only way to haul 4 X 8 ft. sheets of plywood in sports car, is to cut them up and chuck them behind the seats .... your good to go .
Trust me, I appreciate the suggestions. I just have to figure out the best thing to get given my limitations.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 12-15-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Trust me, I appreciate the suggestions. I just have to figure out the best thing to get given my limitations.
What is it you want to do on GB that you can't right now? The issue may not completely be software based but instead may be more related to your hardware. GB on iPad/iPhone and other software programs (iMovie or Microsoft Office programs) are lite versions compared to what you get on a laptop or desktop. GB on iPad just doesn't work for me....too few options compared to what I get on my MacBook. Now you may be able to import what is missing (better effects or editing tools, for example) but it's all there on my laptop in one nice, complete package.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
What is it you want to do on GB that you can't right now? The issue may not completely be software based but instead may be more related to your hardware. GB on iPad/iPhone and other software programs (iMovie or Microsoft Office programs) are lite versions compared to what you get on a laptop or desktop. GB on iPad just doesn't work for me....too few options compared to what I get on my MacBook. Now you may be able to import what is missing (better effects or editing tools, for example) but it's all there on my laptop in one nice, complete package.
Just checked the price of a Macbook...WOW! I could buy a lot of recording equipment for that amount of money. I'd love to have the full version of GarageBand that you get with a Macbook but I'm just not ready to drop that much cash.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM

I don't know about in the US but here in the UK you can buy second-hand laptops (like HP, DELL, Lenovo) with OS-X installed on Ebay.

A friend of mine has an HP laptop running Yosemite and it works fine for music stuff. They sell for between 2 and 3 hundred pounds.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 12-15-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
A crappy soundcard is easy to fix for relatively small bucks, the solution is an audio interface. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...dio-interface/

Then you're ready to use one of many DAW programs (subliminally whispers "REAPER") on a large screen with countless free plugins, unlimited tracks, hundreds of tutorials.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Just checked the price of a Macbook...WOW! I could buy a lot of recording equipment for that amount of money. I'd love to have the full version of GarageBand that you get with a Macbook but I'm just not ready to drop that much cash.
Consider used macs at macsales.com and other places.
I use a 5 year old mac at home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD