The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 AM

I'm coming at a "G" from the other way. I learned a G chord long ago the way the original poster is trying to learn it now. That way to play the G chord is ingrained.

Now I'm learning a new song and I need to learn what, to me, is the "other" G chord. (Gordon Lightfoot's 'Early Morning Rain'). It's easier to transition to G with index on 5th string, middle on 6th, etc.

My point is, if you're a neanderthal, than I must be one too because it's unnatural for me to play the G chord the other way. I practice it and it's getting easier though. I chalk it up to just "part of the game" and treat it like a new chord that I need to get familiar with to play a song.

Cary
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
"h" means hammer on, and the numbers are frets - although they also happen to be finger numbers in this case.
Of course you don't have to hammer on - you can pick and pull off too, the point was they are occasional optional notes, not part of the chord (except in the C/G).
Thanks for clearing that up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write