The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Default G&L asat telecasters

Anyone here have any experience with these?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM

I have a USA Asat Special, but not much playing experience - what do you want to know?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM

I really liked the couple I've tried out. Good feel, very well built, but the pickups in my Fender sound a little better to me. Tone is subjective, though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

I had an Asat classic Tribute that I let go because the pickups were a bit harsh and I was wanting a change. That is two and a half years of regret. I'm on the lookout for another one.
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 PM

The USA ones are well built guitars. MFDs have their own sound that's pretty different from Fender alnico pickups.

The best model is probably the outstanding Bluesboy with a Seth Lover humbucker at the neck.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the thoughts... I have a squirrel telecaster with upgrade vintage noiseless pickups. Gah stupid autocorrect. Squire. I like it a lot... But wondering if I should look at mom fenders or these g&l guitars too. Would it be a good upgrade or should I wait and save for a Mia telecaster?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM

Have a Asat Classic Tribute semihollow. The only thing that I do not care for is the sound of the bridge pickup, otherwise it is a really nice guitar. I was looking for a guitar to learn to play on and was looking at a cheap Squire but went way above what I wanted to pay as the G&L felt better.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM

I've owned many over the years. Always trade for something else, and always come back

Currently have two. A semihollow solidtop (meaning no F-hole) ash Bulesboy with the older Seth Lover pickup (they currently load new ones with a G&L designed and built humbucker), and a gorgeous translucent white ash ASAT Classic. Trans white ash ASATs are my favorite looking solidbody electric guitar. That finish is just stunning.

I've owned ASAT Specials with the big MFD pickups too. I think if you are into rock, they may be a better choice. The Classic is a better blues guitar in my opinion. They don't sound like a telecaster, but I do think the narrower pickup design sounds slightly more "single-coilly" than the wider ASAT pickups. Not icepicky, but slightly clearer, more articulate, and more defined. Either design is fabulous, but if you're going to be standing in front of Marshall Stack, I'd go with the ASAT special.

Amazing guitars that do not sound like Telecasters, UNLESS you get an ASAT Classic Alnico model, which has normal tele pickups instead of the MFD G&L pickups. Here's a cool clip from a guy on Youtube on the ASAT Classic.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebloom View Post
Thanks for the thoughts... I have a squirrel telecaster with upgrade vintage noiseless pickups. Gah stupid autocorrect. Squire. I like it a lot... But wondering if I should look at mom fenders or these g&l guitars too. Would it be a good upgrade or should I wait and save for a Mia telecaster?

Jack Pearson is a world class player who can probably play whatever he wants and he loves his 20th Anniv Squier he bought at a pawnshop (stock pickups).

You could do a lot worse than the Squier. As for the G&Ls, they make 2 sizes of the MFD pickups and the bigger one sounds like an old fender jazz master but better (which I like), so make sure you get the one you want if go G&L. Fit/finish these days is all good with electronics being a cost-saver. G&L has some models in which they use the same pickups in their USA as in their made in Indonesia Tribute models, which galls the USA guys. G&L is cheap and great - if you make a move, I'd go Tribute G&L over MIM fender (I'm not a fan of their pickups, relative to USA). The USA fenders are beautiful, but you can find newish ones used for a bit more than half the price new. I love my G&L (USA) and would get it again.

Last edited by ChrisN; 02-22-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

The G&L ASAT is a great guitar. I confess I'm not wild about the MDF pickups - I never could get a clean tone I liked out of them, but aside from that, its a nice axe. Others love the MDFs, so it comes down to personal preference
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Here's a cool clip from a guy on Youtube on the ASAT Classic.
Agreed as to your characterization re: big MFDs. As for the guy on youtube - take a look at his later vid on his new Fender Custom Shop tele - he's pretty enthusiastic.

Last edited by ChrisN; 02-22-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Agreed as to your characterization re: big MFDs. As for the guy on youtube - take a look at his later vid on his new Fender Custom Shop tele - he's pretty enthusiastic.
He's been very honest the whole time about the fact that he likes both. I prefer my G&Ls because both of them have a 12 inch radius, and both of them have a much more versatile sound than a tele. A tele is a classic sound, but it is what it is. I also have an esquire, so I'm down with the Fender sound. I just prefer the G&L sound.

And then there's the price issue. My white classic cost me $650 used (plus shipping). My Bluesboy cost me $900 Brand Spankin' New from an authorized dealer. It was "new old stock" which essentially meant it was built in 2015 and I bought it in 2016

You can not touch a fender of even remotely similar quality for those prices. Especially considering my flatter fretboard preferences.

I like both companies. I own a Mexican jaguar too. And my only complaint about it is the weight. Otherwise great guitar. And truth be told you'll find a LOT of complaints about the weight of ash G&Ls online.

But if you can get a guitar like USA G&L for $700, I see no reason to consider anything else as long as you like the sound. If you can afford $500, $700 is just $500 with some patience and some discipline. It's worth it.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 PM

I've had one since 1993, from Norm's Rare Guitars in San Fernando Valley, Ca.
Beautiful telecaster with almost my favorite neck shape, but the Fender sounds much better.
The G and L guitars, just like the older Music Man amps, are a great choice.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

The Tribute series guitars are extremely well built, and you could swap in new pickups if the sound didn't thrill you and still save a bundle over a Fender. I was all set to buy a tribute ASAT last month when someone up and gave me a Tele, and that's the only reason I don't have one now.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I've had one since 1993, from Norm's Rare Guitars in San Fernando Valley, Ca.
Beautiful telecaster with almost my favorite neck shape, but the Fender sounds much better.
The G and L guitars, just like the older Music Man amps, are a great choice.
I would only argue that the Fender sounds much better to you than your ASAT. Bear in mind that as I stated above they make the ASAT Alnico Classic which has telecaster pickups in it.

If I had a guitar that had my pretty much my favorite neck shape, I'd make sure it also had my favorite sound

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars