The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Wow! Lou Hinkley at Daedalus Speakers

Because several of you recommended that I look into Daedalus speakers I have been thinking about them all week. Then I saw that he encourages people interested in his products to give him a call and ask questions: so I did. Let me say, Lou Hinkley - the owner - is one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to speak with. He is so knowledgeable and thoughtful that I was just blown away. I am most certainly going to be buying my cabinet from him. For the record, even though it was suggested that the prices were high I think he is VERY reasonable. For the cabinet I am going to buy, which is custom built with 2x8" and 2x5", in solid cherry it is less than $800. He took the time to speak with me for over 45 mins and answer all my questions. I mean, seriously, that kind of customer service is becoming more and more lost in this Guitar Center saturated world. He's a great guy, with a great attitude and product!

I'll be sure to let everyone know what the cabinet is like when I move forward, but with everything he says - and those of you who recommended him have said - I'm expecting a great product. Can't wait!

Thanks so much for all the input everyone, it was so helpful.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

The Daedalus S-82 is a great cabinet. Good choice.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

lou is a great guy! we do need a full report when you get yours!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 PM

Daedalus speakers for sale.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=4;t=005152
Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The Daedalus S-82 is a great cabinet. Good choice.
How would you describe the difference between the S-82 and the infamous W-803?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
How would you describe the difference between the S-82 and the infamous W-803?
They are more similar than different, very much so. All of the Daedalus models share the attributes for which the brand is known - flat response, accuracy, detail and an unrivaled sonic and behavioral aesthetics.

There are differences between the various models, though. As between the W803 and S82, the crossovers are different. The very high frequencies (north of 16k) are a bit more present with the W803. They are easier to mount, about the same to carry. The S82 provides a bit more bass response, all other things being equal. Either will impress.

I have a pair of W803 and a pair of S82 (actually 1 S82 and 1 C82) here now. Both pairs are older models (i.e., neither pair has the newer crossovers or the newer 5" drivers).

The S82 is about 2/3 the price of a W803. Taking cost into account, the S82 is a better value.

My only suggestion is to find a way to hear and use Daedalus speakers yourself. I first heard them in the mid '90's and I was smitten. It took a few years until I finally got a pair - the S81 (since sold). Then it was a pair of SR823 (since sold), followed by another pair of S81 (since sold), then a deal fell in my lap (from a closing dealer) where I got a pair of W803 (still have) and a pair of the monster SC-1203 (since sold). Last year I picked up a S82, a C82 (4 rack spaces) and a C81 (3 rack spaces), all of which I still have. I've been fooling with a variety of acoustic guitar preamps, studio eqs and power amps, in an attempt to end up with a small acoustic amp, to use when the W803 mini-PA rig is overkill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification