The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Default Unknown Custom Built Guitar

I found this guitar at a Denver Pawn shop. Has no Markings other then the Kokopelli Man design on the head stock. Looks to be quality, but I'm not sure. On the Tag at the shop it said Dave Merrill Custom Made with Old Adirondack and Mahogany. This Guitar sounds amazing and is set up well. Just curious if anyone recognizes the design or can help with email me for pictures. thanks
[email protected]
Old 02-04-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanghost View Post
I found this guitar at a Denver Pawn shop. Has no Markings other then the Kokopelli Man design on the head stock. Looks to be quality, but I'm not sure. On the Tag at the shop it said Dave Merrill Custom Made with Old Adirondack and Mahogany. This Guitar sounds amazing and is set up well. Just curious if anyone recognizes the design or can help with email me for pictures. thanks
[email protected]
One Dave Merrill used to build guitars with his more well known brother Jim. I have three Merrill guitars. Two are stamped Merrill Bros. and one is stamped Merrill & Co. The tops are all signed. The earliest Merrill Bros. I have is signed by Jim and Dave Merrill. The second, which has a later serial number is just signed by Jim.

I don't know exactly when the Merrill Bros. building partnership ended, nor do I know if Dave continued building on his own, but it's a good lead for you to follow up on.

Did you ask the pawn shop folks what they know about the guitar and why they have it marked as a Dave Merrill build?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:47 AM

I've looked at Merrill guitars website, tried contacting them as well. Still no luck. I asked the guys at the shop and all they knew was the original owner said it was made by Dave Merrill. No where o. The guitar does it say Merrill and there is no signature, except the kokopelli.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanghost View Post
I've looked at Merrill guitars website, tried contacting them as well. Still no luck. I asked the guys at the shop and all they knew was the original owner said it was made by Dave Merrill. No where o. The guitar does it say Merrill and there is no signature, except the kokopelli.
Just to be clear, when I say the tops are signed, I mean the bottom side of the top, which is only visible by placing a small mirror in the soundhole.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Hosted Pics

Here are pics of this guitar which I have agreed to host for the OP.

Really nice mahogany on this one!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
custom, high end custom, merrill, unknown make