The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Wow, I have to say that after reading your review, I really wanna try it !
I may try to order it online after having tried a few classic guitars models. And if I like it, I keep it.
Can't wait to watch your video !

Thank you for your review !!!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFingerstyle View Post
The Taylor Academy Series 12e-N arrived today ......Chris

Thanks for that write-up Chris.

I've recently been seriously bit by the nylon crossover bug and been watching many of your videos (love the channel by the way).

What you said makes sense - I see such conflicting opinions about the unplugged sound of the Taylor crossovers.

I'm very familiar with the steel string models and find similar things - certain models "do it" for me while others fall flat. And even more similarly, I love the old acoustic (GA/GC/DN) line and your comments make me more convinced I should look that way.

I'm a stubborn "cedar" lover so am looking for an NS52, NS74 or NS54 without electronics and hope to find one soon.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Good luck with your hunt! Most of the NS models in that era seem to have electronics. But I'll bet there are some out there without it.

YouTube Site
Old 08-20-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I'm a stubborn "cedar" lover so am looking for an NS52, NS74 or NS54 without electronics and hope to find one soon.
I Know what You Mean Fazool. I, also would like to get a Cedar top to get a warmer top and a big change from the GS MINI.
I will consider the one model from the academy series without electronics.

@Chris, Your Youtube Channel is great !!! Thank you
Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 AM

Hi everyone,

On saturday, I will go visit a music store and try different models !

But this morning, I was looking at some models on internet and saw a CUENCA 40 R in B stock ( A few traces of use but no scratches - and no official packaging) for 135€ ( Approx 160 USD). In France, it is usually sold between 500 and 600 euros.
So I bought it, without even trying it... (I will go to the music store for comparaison).

It is a true classical guitar with a wide neck but I thought that for this price it may be a good deal.
Do you have feedbacks about this guitar ?

It's a solid cedar top, solid RW sides and laminated RW back.
I don't know if the fingerboard is made of EBONY or RW but I hope it's ebony ! (There are 2 versions)

I am used to the website where I ordered it and I think there are getting rid of some brands and models and offer low prices.

Well for this price in France you have a Yamaha C40...

I wanted to try the new taylor academy nylon, cordoba, Alhambra 4P and Paco Castilla 204. But for this price, couldn't resist to buy it.
Hope It's gonna be a good surprise !
Old 08-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmusic View Post
Hi everyone,

On saturday, I will go visit a music store and try different models !

But this morning, I was looking at some models on internet and saw a CUENCA 40 R in B stock ( A few traces of use but no scratches - and no official packaging) for 135€ ( Approx 160 USD). In France, it is usually sold between 500 and 600 euros.
So I bought it, without even trying it... (I will go to the music store for comparaison).
I've never played one, but I'm nearly 100% sure they're made in the same factory as the Alhambra guitars - maybe by the same people too. I don't know the exact relationship - maybe Cuenca buys guitars from the Alhambra factory with a particular set of specifications and "special features"? From what I remember when I was in the market many years ago, you seem to have gotten a really really good price on that guitar. I hope it's in perfect condition, and that you'll get to enjoy it for a very long time!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Today, I've received the cuenca 4O R from a b stock.
It is a ebony Fretboard and I find the guitar surprisingly confortable (The neck is 52mm so wider I am used to but with practice it will be alright). there is a good sustain and a warm tone.

The guitar was sold as a B stock with no scratches or damages but :
There is an impact on the neck, some scratches on the side corner, the mechanics are noisy when I 'm tuning the guitar. The strings are overused.

I paid 135€ instead of 550€ and think it's a good bargain but I will like to lnow what you think please.

Please find the pics below,

Thank you in advance

Old 08-30-2017, 12:31 AM

Very nice price.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-30-2017, 05:53 PM

By "the machanics are noisy" do you mean the tuning machines are noisy? Or are the strings making a lot of noise when you bring them up to tension? I'd put some new strings on it and see what difference that makes. If the machines are dirty, that can cause some issues, but you'd be able to see whatever is gunking them up and clean them up pretty easily. That headstock ding looks a bit unkind, but probably not enough there to cause any damage to the internals - you might be able to poke around inside when you change the strings to feel for a loose brace or so? If you think it's worth it. Congrats on the new guitar, I still think it's a great deal!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 AM

Thank you Sirwhale and Dosland !!!

I played this guitar for hours yesterday and I like it very much. The guitar has a comfortable neck and the ebony fretboard is a very good surprise. The sound is lovely.

The tuning machines are noisy. And the guitar needs to be tuned a lot but it seems to get better.
The strings need to be changed but I don't know which one to buy...The ones on the guitar are d'addario exp but I don't even know if it's light or medium...

Should I keep the d'addario exp brand ? I only use elixir on my folk.

I contacted the online shop this morning and they offered me a 15€ discount on this guitar, which mean it has cost me 120€ ☺
Old 08-31-2017, 08:00 AM

Elixir makes nylon strings? I wasn't aware of that. Are you sure?

I like D'addario hard tension strings. Normal tension ones are a bit too floppy for me.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:56 PM

No, elixir doesn't make any nylon strings. I was just saying that the only strings knowledge I have is elixir strings for folk guitar. Sorry about the mistake.
I have just wrote to cuenca guitars in order to know the exact strings reference ☺
Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 PM

I've been reasonably happy with the EXP extra hard tension strings that come stock with Alhambra guitars, if you're not excited about the extra hard you could try hard tension. The EXP refers to a coating of some sort on the wound strings, which means they can last a very long time. Some people don't find them to be great strings, but honestly, I don't either. They're pretty neutral strings, to my ear and hands, and they last me forever if I'm not playing all that often.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 AM

I contacted Cuenca Guitars and theyr confirm me they recommend D’Addario EXP 44 Extra Hard Tension.

I think I will stay with these strings. It's pretty light compared to the Elixir Medium on my folk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical