The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong vs Emerald X20 (again)

Well, i have that itch for a new guitar, and I am trying to decide between a Rainsong OM and an Emerald X20...and I have permission to proceed from my lovely, smart, wonderful wife. But I have not played either guitar, which makes me a bit nervous. A couple of questions:

1. I play a Taylor 114ce now and I do like the neck on that guitar a lot. I have measured the fretboard width at the nut as 1-11/16 inch. I see the fretboard width on both CF guitars as 1-3/4 inch...I don't see that as a problem. But I am concerned whether one of those necks is considerably "fatter", thus making it more difficult for me to play as I do not have big hands. Can anyone compare for me the necks on the Rainsong and the X20 with the Taylor 114 neck?

2. I do not see any fretboard markers on the Rainsong C-OM. Are there any? While that may not be a deal breaker, it would be a bit weird.

3. The pickup choices on the stock models would push me a bit toward the Rainsong as I don't really like the battery in a bag, but apparently others have learned to live with it. Any guidance for me here?

4. One last question. Is the Emerald factory on shutdown now? Reopening?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited by zeeway; 08-14-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post

Thank you kindly.
I believe Emerald reopened today (14 Aug) from vacation.

I can't help you with the comparison question you have.

Emerald has stainless steel frets, if that makes any difference.

I don't like batteries in my guitar either, and went with K&K mini in my Emeralds.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-14-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I have an Emerald guitar, but have never played a Rainsong. I have read a lot of comments about the necks of both on this forum. Others with experience with both will likely reply, but my sense is that the Emerald neck is closer to the Taylor neck profile to that of the RS N2 neck. If in fact you want the exact Taylor profile, Emerald can and will do that for you, likely for an upcharge. They are the only builder that will accommodate that. Btw, Emeralds do not have fretboard markers (which I tend to prefer on CF guitars), but they do have side markers which as playing references are equally fine.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM

The N2 neck typically used on the newer Rainsong guitars will be considerably thicker than the standard neck used on the X20. If you want a neck profile similar to your Taylor guitar, you can go with the standard Emerald X20 neck profile, or the original Rainsong N1 profile.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM

I'm not sure about the rainsongs, but my emerald x20(that I just got a month ago) doesn't have fretboard markers (fretboard inlay) either... Only the sidedots
Old 08-14-2017, 10:43 AM

Rainsong neck is pretty fat. I actually don't find it that dissimilar from the 1-3/4 inch Taylor necks... but it will feel bigger than the neck on the 114. Can't speak for the Emerald.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:43 AM

If I were you I would find a Rainsong in a shop somewhere and make a road trip to play it so you can judge the neck all the profiles are the same on new ones. I share you love for a Taylor type profile and Emerald would be closer. Rainsong's profile is fuller and if you wrap you thumb around the neck could present issues? I don't have large hands and do wrap my thumb around to play the low E at times. I can adjust to the N2 but it's not my favorite. It's was not a deal killer because Rainsong makes a great guitar but it's something I would check out myself, even I'd it involves a long road trip.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Well, i have that itch for a new guitar, and I am trying to decide between a Rainsong OM and an Emerald X20...and I have permission to proceed from my lovely, smart, wonderful wife. But I have not played either guitar, which makes me a bit nervous. A couple of questions:

1. I play a Taylor 114ce now and I do like the neck on that guitar a lot. I have measured the fretboard width at the nut as 1-11/16 inch. I see the fretboard width on both CF guitars as 1-3/4 inch...I don't see that as a problem. But I am concerned whether one of those necks is considerably "fatter", thus making it more difficult for me to play as I do not have big hands. Can anyone compare for me the necks on the Rainsong and the X20 with the Taylor 114 neck?

2. I do not see any fretboard markers on the Rainsong C-OM. Are there any? While that may not be a deal breaker, it would be a bit weird.

3. The pickup choices on the stock models would push me a bit toward the Rainsong as I don't really like the battery in a bag, but apparently others have learned to live with it. Any guidance for me here?

Thank you kindly.
First off, welcome to the forum, and to the world of non wood guitars.

As to the Rainsong vs x20 question, you would need to be more specific as which Rainsong you are looking at as they have dozens of different options in the OM size alone. You can get one without fret markers, with dot markers, or the classic shark inlays on the deluxe models, and depending on series, four different electronics option.

Regarding size, the Rainsong OM is actually smaller than the x20, which is closer to the WS size. Basically the Rainsong OM is like the Taylor Grand Concert (GC), and the Rainsong WS is closer to the size of the Taylor Grand Auditorium (GA), like your 114.

As to neck shape, neither is like the Taylor shape, but both are close enough that you should have no problem making the transition. In fact for me, the Rainsong N2 neck might actually be more comfortable than the Taylor necks found on Mexican guitars like your 114. FYI the folks at Rainsong, working closely with Steve Miller, put a lot of thought and effort in to the design of the N2 neck shape, and it has paid off with thousands of satisfied customers. The new N2 neck was so popular in fact, that they eventually dropped the older lower profile N1 design.

I would also suggest you find a Rainsong dealer near you, and try some different models to try, then have your dealer give you all your options within your price range. If your dealer doesn't have the exact model you want, a special order only take 4-6 weeks.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 08-14-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
First off, welcome to the forum, and to the world of non wood guitars.

As to neck shape, neither is like the Taylor shape, but both are close enough that you should have no problem making the transition. In fact for me, the Rainsong N2 neck might actually be more comfortable than the Taylor necks found on Mexican guitars like your 114. FYI the folks at Rainsong, working closely with Steve Miller, put a lot of thought and effort in to the design of the N2 neck shape, and it has paid off with thousands of satisfied customers. The new N2 neck was so popular in fact, that they eventually dropped the older lower profile N1 design.
To say that the N2 is even close to a Taylor shape kind of makes my eyes roll. Here is the marketing cynics view of how the N2 came into existence and now is the only neck offered by Rainsong.

Rainsong saw that Steve Miller was using a Rainsong guitar on stage at times and could see the value in a celebrity endorsement, something carbon guitars have always lacked. They got together with Steve and he brought in John Bolin the maker of his electrics and one of the premier electric builder for rock electrics. http://bolinguitars.com

John came up with a modified U shape which is more common on electric guitars, especially early models. Rainsong also made the decision to add a truss rod, a major stubbling block for many wood guitar owners. Steve Miller seems to have been a short lived influence.

Rainsong now has developed a new neck profile with a truss rod and has invested in the mold with a molding process different from the N1. The investment and the addition of the truss rod effectively killed the N1, given a choice most all buyers would opt for a truss rod just for fine adjustment. (I would as well). And most player aren't into fine differences in neck profiles.

I think the N2 is a unique profile no other acoustic maker has chosen to make. I have asked numerous times for a acoustic guitar with a U profile of any kind and I have never been given an example. All that being said it is not a bad profile just unique, one I would not choose but one that will not keep me from buying and keeping Rainsong guitars. They are absolutely wonderful guitars, that I would love to see in two neck profiles.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 08-14-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
To say that the N2 is even close to a Taylor shape kind of makes my eyes roll...
Note that I said they were "close enough" that the OP should have no problem making the transition from his 114 to either of the necks. And BTW, both the Rainsong N2 neck and the x20 neck are what we could call U shape as compared to the Mexican Taylor neck.

Quote:
...All that being said it is not a bad profile just unique, one I would not choose but one that will not keep me from buying and keeping Rainsong guitars. They are absolutely wonderful guitars, that I would love to see in two neck profiles.
It's nice to see that you are a fan of Rainsong, and that while the N2 neck profile is not your favorite, the shape will not keep you from buying a Rainsong. Sounds like the N2 shape is close enough for what you're used to as well.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM

I think the Rainsong guitars I have played are awesome, and I would love to have one. I do have an X20, and it's amazing and I wouldn't trade it for a Rainsong (or a high end Taylor even). The neck is different from the Taylors I have played, but it's not too different. The X20 is a great strumming guitar that I find myself using for picking more and more. Maybe I am getting better or maybe I am getting stronger, but either way it's my go to guitar.

Though I am biased by having an X20, I am pretty sure you should be good with either.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I need to find a Rainsong to get my hands on...even though there are no official dealers listed for S.C.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Guest 1478

I have a Taylor 314 and an Emerald X20 and also have hands that are on the smaller side of average.
While I really like the Taylor neck, I MUCH prefer the standard Emerald X20 neck! I find my fretting hand negotiates the fretboard in a more natural and comfortable manner. I'm not sure of the specs but I suspect the string spacing at the saddle on the Emerald is slightly wider than the Taylor as I find my right hand work is easier too.
I've never played a Rainsong so am no help there.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Dangnabbit, I just finished a road trip to Charleston. Could have brought my Rainsong Shorty or Rainsong P12 for you to try. Anyone else down SC way who might help out Angie?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I have an Emerald X20 and a RainSong Shorty SG-FLE (closest thing to it now is the CH-OM). For comparison sake, I also have several Taylors (used to have a 114ce, so I am familiar), and I am a big fan of that neck. For my money, Taylor has the best neck feel in the acoustic business.

The N2 on my RainSong Shorty is considerably thicker (from my perspective) than the typical Taylor neck. While that doesn't keep me from enjoying the Shorty, it is more work on my left hand. 24.875" scale.

The X20 is closer to the Taylor neck, maybe just a bit thicker, but definitely feels less full (and more comfortable to me) than the RainSong N2 neck. 25.5" scale. I prefer the feel and playability of the Emerald neck. That said, each person has their own "feel preference," so it would be best for you to try each. Not easily done, since Emerald (in Ireland) is direct sales only.

My feeling is you can get used to another neck profile. There will be the sound that you prefer, and (again, for me) the X20 has that over the RainSong Shorty. Not that the Shorty is bad - a lovely piano-like tone... but, the X20 is deeper and richer sounding, and more powerful when pushed. I will freely admit that I am a big fan of that offset soundhole on the X20, where the player can experience the sound as much as those in front of the guitar. They really are two very different playing experiences.

Both are nice guitars. My recommendation would be for the X20... you will be impressed with the ergonomics of that guitar, with the designed-in arm bevel, the rounded edges, the almost sensuous cutaway... and the sound.

Welcome to the Carbon Fiber Sub-forum - lots of good info here. Folks who have, have had, or have played all the different CF options. People often come here for recommendations or to find out more about the carbon fiber experience. Cut to the chase: it's good. Really good.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber