The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think the point that stanron and I both made is that if there is no singing - it isn't a song.
There are songs and there are instrumentals.

There is nothing wrong with guitarists who play only instrumentals - but there seems to be a fashion at present to call an instrumental a song - which is confusing and to put it simply - incorrect terminology.
Yep, a song is sung, an instrumental is usually referred to as a "piece" or maybe stretch it a bit and call it a "tune" if its a bluesy thing or just using slang Or..... call it an "Instrumental"

Just don't call me late for supper....

Who's on first?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:38 AM

As of yesterday, Candyman, Maple Leaf Rag and The Entertainer.

Pretty much have all of them done and they're all great fun to play. Haven't learned the guitar part for Candyman well enough to sing yet, so it's still an instrumental for me. The other two are similar enough that I put them together as one song.

(They're all from YouTube. Candyman is Jeremiah Lockwood's lesson, Maple Leaf Rag is John McCoy's lesson, and The Entertainer is Jerry's Guitar Bar - but I add one higher octave to the intro.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDIqBypYb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EehvNWHBZ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhITxVh_aow

Last edited by Arthur Blake; 08-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think the point that stanron and I both made is that if there is no singing - it isn't a song.
There are songs and there are instrumentals.
Uh.. I get it now. I'd say I call them "tunes".

Ll.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:53 PM

So what's this then?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Vocabulary drifts according to popular use, yes? So what was once known as "tissue" has become "Kleenex" in the U.S. at least. You get my drift?

I am forever confused about correct terminology, or at least, using the words that confuse the least. What is a "record" vs. "album", for instance?

Anyway, I never ever thought that songs only were those "pieces" that are sung.

Hmmm......

Not arguing at all, just sayin'....

What I'm learning now (not labeling, for fear of repercussions): Moon River, You Are So Beautiful. And I am not singing. I am playing these as solo acoustic fingerstyle.

C.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Right now, two of my originals........which I think will be named "Mystic Waltz" and "Fretful". Likely recording them in the fall as time permits.

By the way.....went back and looked at my recent CD inside cover to check how I referred to these in my writing and saw I indicated "original instrumentals".
However, I was really pleased and taken when an AGF member kindly referred to them as "like little poems"..... A nice compliment because even though there are no words to them, they may "speak" to a listener as though there are words that are heard in the piece.....a goal which I have to believe is present for many instrumentals. So, in a way, I'm with EllaMom with some of this! Thanks Carol!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Mark Hanson's Red, White and Blue Rag and Key to the Kingdom.

Woody Mann's arrangements of Saturday Night Rub and Creole Baby.

I really should focus on them one at a time....
Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 PM

I guess I'm working on an instrumental song, then. Faure's Pavane is an instrumental piece that has a choir singing during the middle section.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 08-12-2017, 01:45 AM

I'm astonished that the etymological consensus of such a simple word as 'song' can drift in such a short time as my, unexpectedly long, lifetime! The definition is so simple, and so precise, so how can it get lost?

A song has lyrics and melody. Take away the lyrics and you have a tune or melody. Play that tune or melody on an instrument or instruments and you have an instrumental.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental

Take away the music and you have lyrics or, perhaps a poem.

How can this be difficult? If you are not sure of the definition of a word you should at least take the time to search for it on line.

You are here, online. My browser has two text boxes at the top. The left one is longest. it starts;

www.acousticguitarforum.com

It tells me where I am. The right hand one is a search engine. I refuse to use the generic name. Type a word into that and you will get definitions. No one is expected to know the meaning of every word. Is it too much to expect that people would search for the meanings of words they don't understand? Of course we are getting close to 'mocking Rundfeld' territory and his unknown unknowns.

Silly Moustache is, as usual, correct. There is nothing wrong with guitarists who play only instrumentals. Please don't call them songs!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I'm astonished that the etymological consensus of such a simple word as 'song' can drift in such a short time as my, unexpectedly long, lifetime! The definition is so simple, and so precise, so how can it get lost?

A song has lyrics and melody. Take away the lyrics and you have a tune or melody. Play that tune or melody on an instrument or instruments and you have an instrumental.

How can this be difficult? If you are not sure of the definition of a word you should at least take the time to search for it on line.

You are here, online. My browser has two text boxes at the top. The left one is longest. it starts;

It tells me where I am. The right hand one is a search engine. I refuse to use the generic name. Type a word into that and you will get definitions. No one is expected to know the meaning of every word. Is it too much to expect that people would search for the meanings of words they don't understand? Of course we are getting close to 'mocking Rundfeld' territory and his unknown unknowns.

Silly Moustache is, as usual, correct. There is nothing wrong with guitarists who play only instrumentals. Please don't call them songs!
Somebody call Jorma and tell him to either change the name to "Water Instrumental" or come up with some lyrics.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post

I did not know that this was the grammar/ precise vocabulary Forum I thought we were talking about guitars
Old 08-12-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I did not know that this was the grammar/ precise vocabulary Forum I thought we were talking about guitars
It's the forum where misconceptions of any type are gently corrected, and long may it continue so to be.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:32 PM

There's A Kind Of Hush - Herman's Hermits.

Also -

Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Those Were The Days My Friend
Groovy Kind Of Love
A Time For Us
Dream
Happy Together
I'm Sorry
Music Box Dancer
American Tune
Your Wildest Dreams
Elinore Rigby
Chariots Of Fire
Others and my own
Old 08-12-2017, 02:37 PM

It seems that fingerstyle guitar have changed several songs into "tunes" using suitable arrangements. It's one of the thing that fascinates me the most.

Ll.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
It seems that fingerstyle guitar have changed several songs into "tunes" using suitable arrangements. It's one of the thing that fascinates me the most.

Ll.
I was fascinated with that aspect of playing as a kid and I'm still that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write