The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Electronics Choices... what's the scoop?

Considering a Rainsong CH-OM1000NS.

Electronics choices are:

LR Baggs Element = ADD $150
K&K Pure Mini = ADD $250
LR Baggs Anthem = ADD $450

And then, there is the Fishman Prefix Plus T. - price unknown?

I know absolutely nothing about any of these systems, so if any of you folks can provide some guidance, opinion, thoughts, feedback on these options, I would sure appreciate it. I am not likely to use the electronics for performance, but may do so for some recording.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 PM

None of those options will be worth recording. A mic is best. But, any of them will work well for live use. If you don't need a pickup for live stage use, there is little reason to pay $450 for it.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
None of those options will be worth recording. A mic is best. But, any of them will work well for live use. If you don't need a pickup for live stage use, there is little reason to pay $450 for it.
Good to know. Thank you for saving me some scratch!
Old 08-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

If you are ever planning to play plugged in, any of those pickups would be a good option. I own guitars with the Fishman Prefix + T and the LR Baggs Element, and find these both sound good. The K&K is going to need an external EQ/preamp, and is a popular choice.

Having a pickup is also a consideration for resale, if that is a concern for you.

I don't record, but I do play plugged in - all my acoustics have a pickup.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If you are ever planning to play plugged in, any of those pickups would be a good option. I own guitars with the Fishman Prefix + T and the LR Baggs Element, and find these both sound good. The K&K is going to need an external EQ/preamp, and is a popular choice.

Having a pickup is also a consideration for resale, if that is a concern for you.

I don't record, but I do play plugged in - all my acoustics have a pickup.
What is the feasibility of adding a pickup system later, if I find I would want that? And what downsides might there be to doing so? Would I have to cut a hole for the "barn door" control or would a sound hole mounted option work well? I'm not likely to want to play plugged in.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:28 PM

You can have the Anthem installed aftermarket with no problems. Some OEM systems will come with barn doors and battery doors. The issue with the rainsong and pickups is that most people who buy one use it for stage use. Or, buy what you need now, and install later if needed. All those options listed will work fine depending on what you plug them into.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I am not likely to use the electronics for performance, but may do so for some recording.
If you're not using electronics to perform I recommend a microphone for recording.
A USB mic plugs into a computer. I have one of these: http://www.bluemic.com/products/yeti/
Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You can have the Anthem installed aftermarket with no problems. Some OEM systems will come with barn doors and battery doors. The issue with the rainsong and pickups is that most people who buy one use it for stage use. Or, buy what you need now, and install later if needed. All those options listed will work fine depending on what you plug them into.
Understandably. CF guitars are ideal for touring performers, and thus having electronics in them makes perfect sense.

They are also ideal for people who live in climates which can be hazardous to wood guitars, which is the case for me. So, I'm inclined to go without the electronics as I have no intention of amplifying the guitar.

I will need to look into good mics for recording acoustic guitars, not just for the CF guitar, but for my Martin and Eastman as well.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
If you're not using electronics to perform I recommend a microphone for recording.
A USB mic plugs into a computer. I have one of these: http://www.bluemic.com/products/yeti/
Thank you. I'll add that to my list of mics to check out.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I test drove a Rainsong APSE with the Anthem system and it sounded fantastic plugged in. The added mic blended very well with the Piezo to produce a very pleasing amplified tone. If I grab one of the CH-OM models, I will spring for the Anthem.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
I test drove a Rainsong APSE with the Anthem system and it sounded fantastic plugged in. The added mic blended very well with the Piezo to produce a very pleasing amplified tone. If I grab one of the CH-OM models, I will spring for the Anthem.
Good to know! Thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
What is the feasibility of adding a pickup system later, if I find I would want that? And what downsides might there be to doing so? Would I have to cut a hole for the "barn door" control or would a sound hole mounted option work well? I'm not likely to want to play plugged in.
I agree with all the sentiments regarding using a microphone for recording. While there is no law against recording with a pickup, and it might work for you, a good microphone will make you sound better than a great pickup. For stage work, or just for convenience, an onboard pickup can certainly make sense. Of the three choices above, I would suggest that the Element, alone, may be a little less prone to feedback, if that is important to you. If you are playing in a band, an Under Saddle Transducer (such as the Element) is hard to beat for cutting through the mix.

My RainSong WS1000 came with a side-mounted LR Baggs StagePro Element. I replaced that with a LR Baggs StagePro Anthem (I documented the process, here), as I prefer having a bit more "breath" in the pickup than the UST provides by itself. As I am sure you are aware, in addition to the UST, the Anthem adds a "mic" inside the guitar. The StagePro version of either pickup system, Element or Anthem) conveniently side-mounts all the preamp controls, along with the battery, on the upper bout on the exterior of the guitar.

Addressing your question regarding installation after the fact, it would have been easier to install my StagePro Anthem in a guitar that had no pickup to begin with. This approach is pretty much a one-way trip, as in, irreversible, so it is important to feel good about the decision before you start.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Cozad View Post
I agree with all the sentiments regarding using a microphone for recording. While there is no law against recording with a pickup, and it might work for you, a good microphone will make you sound better than a great pickup. For stage work, or just for convenience, an onboard pickup can certainly make sense. Of the three choices above, I would suggest that the Element, alone, may be a little less prone to feedback, if that is important to you. If you are playing in a band, an Under Saddle Transducer (such as the Element) is hard to beat for cutting through the mix.

My RainSong WS1000 came with a side-mounted LR Baggs StagePro Element. I replaced that with a LR Baggs StagePro Anthem (I documented the process, here), as I prefer having a bit more "breath" in the pickup than the UST provides by itself. As I am sure you are aware, in addition to the UST, the Anthem adds a "mic" inside the guitar. The StagePro version of either pickup system, Element or Anthem) conveniently side-mounts all the preamp controls, along with the battery, on the upper bout on the exterior of the guitar.

Addressing your question regarding installation after the fact, it would have been easier to install my StagePro Anthem in a guitar that had no pickup to begin with. This approach is pretty much a one-way trip, as in, irreversible, so it is important to feel good about the decision before you start.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that is crazy money for a K&K.

I did put a K&K in mine (aftermarket - Rainsong shorty) and even with install it cost me less than half of that price. The main reason I picked the K&K was affordability.

When I order my CH-PA I will go for the Baggs no-cut Element. I like the soundhold mounted controls (no barn door), and given the downsides to the K&K I would not use one again.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-07-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that is crazy money for a K&K.

I did put a K&K in mine (aftermarket - Rainsong shorty) and even with install it cost me less than half of that price. The main reason I picked the K&K was affordability.

When I order my CH-PA I will go for the Baggs no-cut Element. I like the soundhold mounted controls (no barn door), and given the downsides to the K&K I would not use one again.
What for you were the downsides of the K&K? I put one in the same guitar and I love it.

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-08-2017 at 08:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber