The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

No.

Do what makes you happy 😊
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert D View Post
I'm a 56 year old beginner and am just learning to change between simple cords. I have started an on-line course called Guitar tricks and it starts with very basic stuff. I know I need to get strumming, cord changes and all the basic's down to build from. My true love is fingerstyle blues. I picked up a Stephan Grossman beginners book and have been practicing the exercises leading up to the song Sugar Babe. Am I hurting myself by doing this as long as I keep up with the regular lessons?
I've been playing for over five years now. The only thing that interested me at the start was fingerstyle and that's all I played. Now I want to start using a plectrum and doing various strumming patterns.

Don't feel like you "need to get strumming" if that's not your passion. Do what keeps you excited about playing and picking up that guitar as often as possible. There is time for the rest later.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I've been playing for over five years now. The only thing that interested me at the start was fingerstyle and that's all I played. Now I want to start using a plectrum and doing various strumming patterns.

Don't feel like you "need to get strumming" if that's not your passion. Do what keeps you excited about playing and picking up that guitar as often as possible. There is time for the rest later.
You can just strum with your fingers, can't you?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:40 PM

I can't strum with my fingers because my fingernails are soft and the steel strings destroy them quickly. Also, to my ears strumming sounds better with a pick.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write