The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll be leaving for the SBAIC event in just over a week, so it is time to get this Mod-D project completed. I started the blocking process (using a backing block and fine wet paper to make as flat a surface as possible) on Saturday, and completed it this morning, followed by a "long" session at the pedestal buffer. Then I mixed some fresh Hot Hide Glue and attached the neck to the body. So far, so good.

There has been a small change in the rules of my guitar giveaway at the show. There are now going to be two ways to get entered into the drawing. Not only does every day's ticket include a chance to win the guitar I made, but a chance will also be awarded to each ticket for one of the guitar related classes the promoter is offering. This works for me as it raises the likelihood that the guitar will be given to a guitar player rather than, say, a tourist with nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon.

For those tuning in late, this is NOT this guitar I am giving away, it is an Engelmann over Claro Walnut 00, featured in the video on the SBAIC website HERE, about halfway down the page.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 08-14-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Half the frets are in! I still expect to have the bridge made and on today.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have spent a couple of hours playing the Mod-D and got the set up pretty decent. My last D's were all about Bluegrass, and have medium strings and a bit more string height that fingerstyle players can tolerate, IMO. This one is another kettle of fish altogether, having lights and an action even Schoenberg himself would smile about. The sound is right where I hoped to find it, and the guitar has a silky smooth playability that I rarely see; it feels incredibly competent somehow.

Here are some pictures:

Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

It's beautiful Bruce... I like the subtle adjustments to your pickguard design.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pending actually receiving the $$$, this guitar is now sold. I will have it for your approval at SBAIC none the less.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Pending actually receiving the $$$, this guitar is now sold. I will have it for your approval at SBAIC none the less.
Congratulations Bruce, it is a beauty!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Half the frets are in! I still expect to have the bridge made and on today.

Great looking guitar Bruce. Is this one a lefty
Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

It did look like it was going to be a lefty for a while there, but business interests prevailed.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

A varnish finish out in the natural light is great.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-19-2017, 03:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

There are a number of details still unhandled in my SBAIC prep, but having given myself a week to get it done, I may have a day to relax before driving time. By the way, our friend (yours and mine) Tad (tadol), will be riding with me and assisting at my table. He'll be the tall one, and I will be the less tall one. Tad knows my work as well as anyone not me, and has assisted me before with great success.

I have printed new business cards. Just like the old ones except that they are on a satin stock instead of flat, which makes the graphics pop, and also this time I remembered to put my name on the card. I didn't mention that i make guitars, but theoretically anyone I give a card to knows that. . . I know, big assumption.

I usually give away at most 200 cards at a show. I ordered 1000 cards, and it looks like a lot! But if everyone takes a card when they drop of their giveaway ticket AND the show is half way well attended, I could have too few! Time'll tell.

I also have "made" a barrel for the giveaway tickets to go into. The promoter has made over 2500 tickets, and I am unclear how big a pile that is, so it may be that my 5 gallon barrel will prove cavernous, but I'd rather have that than too small a barrel.

The tape covers the slot I have cut 7/8 of the way around. My plan is that, come the drawing itself, I will tear the top of the barrel off so that the ticket can be drawn. Meanwhile I can stir the tickets easily. Hope to see you there.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 PM

And I thought you would get the winning ticket out the old fashion way by inverting the barrel and working out the ticket with a butter knife.

Pending congratulations on the sale of the Mod-D Bruce. I must admit I am a little concerned of the fast sale, I am tempering my worry with the fact that the guitar has an outstanding set of pernambuco. I am worried that you might build another waistless guitar, then another, and another... . I must admit I do prefer a guitar with a more of a hourglass figure, bottom heavy of course.

On the topic of SBAIC, I gave attending some serious thought. I had arguments with myself against going as the cost of the weekend could fund a bucketful of tools that might result in my building more polished looking instruments. While exploring the different flight options to get there I realized, I have no passport. I have never flown to your country and driving in only required politely answering a few questions. Driving is not an option at this time, I did drive to California by way of Texas in my younger days but I had three weeks to kill at that time. The most I could swing at this time is an extended weekend. If I don't comment again before you leave for the show I wish you all the best and find yourself lighter in guitars and heavier in your pocketbook.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post

I am worried that you might build another waistless guitar, then another, and another... . I must admit I do prefer a guitar with a more of a hourglass figure, bottom heavy of course.
Fear not Fred, I think you'll enjoy the narrow 9-1/4" waist of the upcoming 16", J-185esque guitar that I have commissioned with Bruce...
Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Fear not Fred, I think you'll enjoy the narrow 9-1/4" waist of the upcoming 16", J-185esque guitar that I have commissioned with Bruce...
Your a good man iim7V7IM7.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am packed, but not yet loaded into the car, though I did practice load to see how many guitars I could bring without pulling a trailer. In addition to Tad (tadol) who is riding with me and will assist at the show, we have just our clothing and the "barrel" along with stands and a change of strings.

The table will be dread heavy as I plan to have not only the Mod-D but both the AGF and UMGF dreads as well as a (new) 2010 Adi/BRW that I think the world of. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Otherwise, I will have the SBAIC giveaway (of course), the Pear 0 (should have sold last year, I'll give you all another chance), and my Adi/Honduras mahogany OM artifact. Not all will be in plain sight, so please ask if you want to play one.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Wish I was going...

Quote:
I am packed, but not yet loaded into the car, though I did practice load to see how many guitars I could bring without pulling a trailer. In addition to Tad (tadol) who is riding with me and will assist at the show, we have just our clothing and the "barrel" along with stands and a change of strings.

The table will be dread heavy as I plan to have not only the Mod-D but both the AGF and UMGF dreads as well as a (new) 2010 Adi/BRW that I think the world of. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Otherwise, I will have the SBAIC giveaway (of course), the Pear 0 (should have sold last year, I'll give you all another chance), and my Adi/Honduras mahogany OM artifact. Not all will be in plain sight, so please ask if you want to play one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop