The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
How about one of these for 80 bucks??...

I saw this used Epi EB-0 bass at GC a few years ago, snapped the pic, and then promptly just left it hanging on the wall... What was I thinking?...

Don't feel bad -- those things are awfully dark and tubby. The real Gibsons were, anyway.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 AM

I've picked up a couple of decent ones at garage sales over the years. Its a good cheap bass amp thats hard to find.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I've picked up a couple of decent ones at garage sales over the years. Its a good cheap bass amp thats hard to find.
Get an old powerblock from Crate and run it through a homemade cab. The amp is never the problem with bass. It's the speaker. And this thing has 150 watts. I bought mine back in the early 2000s and it replaced my showman for surf gigs. I had to hide it behind everyhting or be judged by the purists, but before they saw it, nobody complained about my sound I paid $85 for it. They seem to be getting popular though and go from just over $100 for used to near $300 for NOS ones...

Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
...It's a good cheap bass amp thats hard to find.
'Taint necessarily so - you'll have to shop around a bit, though. While you can easily find used - and even new - practice-amp (20W or less) bargains in the under-$100 price bracket, I'd recommend something in the 40-50 watt range to start (it's all about clean power and headroom rather than sheer volume) and a 12" speaker minimum if you expect to reproduce those bottom notes satisfactorily. I've seen used '70s/80s Peavey, Kustom, Randall, and Univox combos - some of which have 15" speakers and 100+ watts power BTW - as well as similar late-model Acoustic, Fender, and Hartke combos routinely going for $100-150 at the big-box stores, and if you're lucky you might find the occasional early-2K's Ampeg Portabass 250W combo (total tone monster, BTW) or SWR Workingman for comparable money on CL or at a garage sale. If you're more inclined toward buying new - and there are many valid reasons to do so - $200-300 sets you up with a number of good-sounding. lightweight combos from the major makers:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c579--Bas...B4IDEwXCIiXX19
Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

If you can stretch your budget to a used Squier vintage modified, or Classic Vibe, I would say it would be well worth it. Especially the Classic Vibe imo can be excellent for the price.
As for amps, I have encountered some used Carvin combos that sounded great considering the very reasonable price point, as around here at least, Carvin does not seem to retain value.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
...As for amps, I have encountered some used Carvin combos that sounded great considering the very reasonable price point, as around here at least, Carvin does not seem to retain value.
MB12 (the dedicated bass-only version of the AG300) owner here:

I've been familiar with Carvin equipment since the mid-80's - had a former band-bud who owned one of those oak-cab X-100 Boogie-clones (still kicking myself for not buying one back when) and worked with a couple sound guys who used their power amps - and all their stuff is well-engineered and tough as nails, not to mention the extremely reasonable prices even when new; that said, I find their bass gear skewed toward a distinctly "modern" sound. Perhaps it's the fact that mine is a 3-way system (12"/6"/tweeter), but it's definitely pitched to the slap-&-pop/roundwound crowd; even with the tweeter turned off it has a glassy "in-your-face" quality, and in spite of the advertised -3dB@50Hz response (approximately low G#) there's no natural warmth - my flatwound-equipped Gibson SG bass requires extensive EQ tweaking to get a useable tone, whereas every other bass amp I own (including my cheapo '80s Peavey Minx 110) is a plug-&-play affair. It's got a few good things going for it - 30-pound total weight (I'm not getting any younger), compact size (not much bigger than my Minx), 250W power, switchable pre/post DI, the aforementioned EQ flexibility, on-board compressor - and in that light it'll be my grab-&-go rig for a while. Although it's got the 'nads to play a medium-size gig, you're going to need a 15" (or 18", if you can get it) cab to put the rumble back in that lowest half-octave - and forget about using it as a stand-alone if you're a 5- or 6-string player; unfortunately Carvin discontinued their full-size 1x15"/1x18" bass cabs a couple years ago (the current MB15 cab is -3dB@60Hz - useless in this application) - and the extra bottom kinda defeats the purpose of a compact rig anyway...
Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

GC has lots of them for under $100 on their site.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

The best guitar shred narrow nut width 30" scale length for 189$ is the Squier Mustang. I put EMG noiseless PU's in mine and it is so fast.

GOTO 6:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWj...em-subs_digest
Old 08-05-2017, 06:53 AM

I've been playing bass for over 40 years. Forget the Squiers and Epiphones. The best cheap basses are made by Rondo: http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

They also have an Ebay store, which is how I bought mine. Paid $110 over 10 years ago and the price hasn't gone up much since then. (Tried to link a photo of my bass but doesn't show up - it's a Fender Jazz copy in turquoise with a rosewood neck)

I bought mine when they had the original headstock design similar to Fender and apparently there was a copyright issue and they had to change it to the current ugly headstock. (But I see at least one bass on their website with the old headstock so I don't know what the deal is)

This bass feels more solid and not cheap like a Squier or Epi. It gets rave reviews on the TalkBass forum. They have medium and short scale basses and also 3/4 size basses.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
If you can stretch your budget to a used Squier vintage modified, or Classic Vibe, I would say it would be well worth it. Especially the Classic Vibe imo can be excellent for the price.
As for amps, I have encountered some used Carvin combos that sounded great considering the very reasonable price point, as around here at least, Carvin does not seem to retain value.
I agree with this. I shopped around for a long time and bought a Squier Vintage Mod Jag bass. Has both the jazz and P bass p/ups, battery control for tone,etc, long scale. Balance is real nice and plays excellent with very good fret finish, actually better than most of the "real" Fender bass guitars I tried off the rack. For home use or even gigs, ( I spoke to more than one active bass player who bring these to live gigs and have no complaints about their tone) they are a great value.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Would something like the TC Sub-n-Up ( @ $129 ) work ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-16-2017, 04:32 PM

I have one of the Rondo Music SX 3/4 Ursa basses I bought a couple of years ago just to learn bass at home...I got the package with the little bass amp (not too great but ok for low practice at home, I have a Zoom B1on Multi FX pedal which I love, helps out). I think it was on sale for $120 or so and it seems fine fit and finish wise and sounds good to me. I have a Rumble 40 amp which is also good for my at home playing...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars