The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Well, shoot. The app doesn't work on my iPhone.

No it's only for iPad or iMac. Not ideal but to be honest not sure how you'd fit that amount of information on such a small screen.
I use an iPad on my mic stand already with Onsong so was hoping to run both.
If that doesn't work my other thought was a cheap android tablet dedicated to the xr16. Don't know what my best bet is here. Would need as large a screen as possible but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Yeah. It's not a huge issue. It's just that I'm checking email on my iPad on stage, and it would be easier not to have to switch between networks.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 AM

Now that TC and Behringer are owned by the same group, I wonder if they will combine some technologies. Like putting the TC stuff in their mixers. I would just as soon have a mixer that had the Play Acoustic built in so it could be accessed across multiple channels, just as you mentioned. Add a Switch six to it for some control and this would be killer. When it comes to this automation, I need someone else to do the thinking and let me pick presets and tweak a little. I could never do what Martinitdave did.

I love the Play Acoustic. I now run it direct to a small mixer, mainly to eq my vocals before heading out to a powered speaker. It would be great to have that eq functionality built it. I could probably get to it by purchasing a VL2 or 3, but I like things more simple and focused on just my Acoustic and vocals. I guess I have that now with the Play Acoustic. I just need to take the mids down a touch on the vocal - so I use the mixer for that purpose only. I know when I purchased the Play Acoustic, I went from 6 pieces of gear to 2. Would be good to have just one, no matter if I played by myself or with 1-2 additional people.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Default Behringer XR12 Air Digital Mixer Tips and Tricks

Marty,

I wondered the same thing about integration between TC and Behringer. I would expect integration from Midas, as they did. I'm not sure about TC. But, I would welcome it. TC is really technology marketed to singers who don't like technology. The Behringer/Midas synergy seems to be increasing value and features for people who buy and appreciate technology. I wonder if those things are compatible?

Boss seems to be the first to dip a toe in the water with the Acoustic singer amp. I do think it would be appreciated by the market, but I don't think people who buy high end mixers would pay extra for an "easy button," as it were.

And I wonder if the "easy button" crowd would be tempted to go buy a 12 channel digital mixer, regardless. Maybe, they should try to integrate at a specific price point (XR12 Air) and call it the (XR12 Play Acoustic) and see how the market responds?

I would have paid an additional $100 for an XR12 with those features. But, they might also cannibalize the sales of $600 worth of TC gear for a duo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-19-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Marty,

I wondered the same thing about integration between TC and Behringer. I would expect integration from Midas, as they did. I'm not sure about TC. But, I would welcome it. TC is really technology marketed to singers who don't like technology. The Behringer/Midas synergy seems to be increasing value and features for people who buy and appreciate technology. I wonder if those things are compatible?

Boss seems to be the first to dip a toe in the water with the Acoustic singer amp. I do think it would be appreciated by the market, but I don't think people who buy high end mixers would pay extra for an "easy button," as it were.

And I wonder if the "easy button" crowd would be tempted to go buy a 12 channel digital mixer, regardless. Maybe, they should try to integrate at a specific price point (XR12 Air) and call it the (XR12 Play Acoustic) and see how the market responds?

I would have paid an additional $100 for an XR12 with those features. But, they might also cannibalize the sales of $600 worth of TC gear for a duo.

I agree. Thanks for your post here. I learned something this morning. I had been trying to get my guitar to sound similar through the Play Acoustic as it did through my mixer. After many hours of tweaking, I got it where I loved the sound. However when I sang together with it, it seemed the guitar was too loud. I kept adjustmenting the mix level, lowering the guitar output, but couldn't get the volume level low enough to hear the vocal clearly without the guitar dropping out completely.

After reading your post and your description of how you adjusted this mixer to match the Play Acoustic, I saw the comment you made about how TC made sure the vocal set above the guitar in the mix. That's when I realized what I had done. My guitar now sounded like I wanted, but now sit in the same space as my vocal. I never realized (until your post) that TC had a purpose in this.

I have a hard time to understand the basics of sound adjustment to position everything in the mix until each part stands out. I listen to recordings from my music collection and can clearly hear each voice and instrument. It's still a mystery to me and glad someone like TC has an easy button for people like me. I appreciate technology, but just don't have the knowledge or time to learn it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I agree. Thanks for your post here. I learned something this morning. I had been trying to get my guitar to sound similar through the Play Acoustic as it did through my mixer. After many hours of tweaking, I got it where I loved the sound. However when I sang together with it, it seemed the guitar was too loud. I kept adjustmenting the mix level, lowering the guitar output, but couldn't get the volume level low enough to hear the vocal clearly without the guitar dropping out completely.

After reading your post and your description of how you adjusted this mixer to match the Play Acoustic, I saw the comment you made about how TC made sure the vocal set above the guitar in the mix. That's when I realized what I had done. My guitar now sounded like I wanted, but now sit in the same space as my vocal. I never realized (until your post) that TC had a purpose in this.

I have a hard time to understand the basics of sound adjustment to position everything in the mix until each part stands out. I listen to recordings from my music collection and can clearly hear each voice and instrument. It's still a mystery to me and glad someone like TC has an easy button for people like me. I appreciate technology, but just don't have the knowledge or time to learn it. My goal was to determine if I could, with a relative modest investment, improve our folk group's amplification. We struggle like everyone. EQ'ing multiple singers and acoustic instruments is not easy. Attempting it with nothing but helpful volunteers is the biggest concern.

Thanks for the help!
Glad I could help. It's a learning process for me. As acoustic people begin to adopt more technology in our performances, we have to get up to speed on it. As a solo act, you're quite often the talent, roadies, business manager, promoter, and the sound guy rolled into one. It's nice for TC to serve this market with a proverbial "easy button." The rest is hard enough for folks.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post

I have a hard time to understand the basics of sound adjustment to position everything in the mix until each part stands out. I listen to recordings from my music collection and can clearly hear each voice and instrument. It's still a mystery to me and glad someone like TC has an easy button for people like me. I appreciate technology, but just don't have the knowledge or time to learn it.
My suggestion:
Try recording your vocal and guitar hard panned left and right (2 channels) with the Berhinger having EVERYTHING FLAT, then playback and EQ to taste. Then you have what the audience hear. Save & Name the settings

Then play again check if it works as far as monitoring goes. You can EQ differently aux outputs to have your own mix in the monitor.

Finally, wait one day or two. Record again something different FLAT and apply
the saved setting. Compare FLAT and EQ+FX, if it's still good, you are good to go.

The mistake is to over EQ or treat the signal. It can soon become un-natural.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-19-2017, 04:14 PM

I got my XR12 on Friday. Had a Gig Friday night so I had a basic (to the best of my understanding) config that I flashed to it within minute of the UPS driver leaving it on the doorstep (right after the FW update), and off to the gig I went.

Left the same config and played 2 gigs yesterday with no issues.

Today one of the venues I play at least weekly had their stage available and let me setup there to do some further configuration.

HOLY HEEHAW!!!

I think I'm in love! Totally replaced my Fishman Loudbox Artist, and I didn't bother with my Digitech Vocalist that I generally only use for reverb and compression.

Made a great change for me in lightening my usual Gig setup, and I have so many more options now that I didn't have before.

I added my stompbox to a channel and rolled off the highs, and added a little reverb & it sounds awesome.

Looking forward to playing with it some more when time permits, but I'm impressed!
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
I got my XR12 on Friday. Had a Gig Friday night so I had a basic (to the best of my understanding) config that I flashed to it within minute of the UPS driver leaving it on the doorstep (right after the FW update), and off to the gig I went.

Left the same config and played 2 gigs yesterday with no issues.

Today one of the venues I play at least weekly had their stage available and let me setup there to do some further configuration.

HOLY HEEHAW!!!

I think I'm in love! Totally replaced my Fishman Loudbox Artist, and I didn't bother with my Digitech Vocalist that I generally only use for reverb and compression.

Made a great change for me in lightening my usual Gig setup, and I have so many more options now that I didn't have before.

I added my stompbox to a channel and rolled off the highs, and added a little reverb & it sounds awesome.

Looking forward to playing with it some more when time permits, but I'm impressed!

Great news! Glad to hear you were able to put it to good use. I had to take my whole system down due to some flooding of my basement. It's dry now. So, I intend to put it back together this week and do more experimenting. If you don't need the vocal harmonies, or stomp boxes, or loopers, this box replaces a lot of gear. Pair it with a powered speaker, or two, or a compact system, and you get power and clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Looking for someone to share their experience, or some ideas.

I play solo gigs, I want to record several dry tracks (vocal, acoustic, both) to a USB stick then be able to route them through the effects and separate channels.

Reason why is I want to use these tracks as a sound check. I want to take a table and walk to the back of the venue and set different effects and levels for each venue.

Please share!
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Behringer XR12 Air Digital Mixer Tips and Tricks

That's a good idea. There is a recording interface. Two channel. L&R. The playback is evidently part of it too.

These might help. I don't have headphones handy.

https://youtu.be/K6gczOPB_eo

https://youtu.be/mdVcoD5HpAI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-20-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
Looking for someone to share their experience, or some ideas.

I play solo gigs, I want to record several dry tracks (vocal, acoustic, both) to a USB stick then be able to route them through the effects and separate channels.

Reason why is I want to use these tracks as a sound check. I want to take a table and walk to the back of the venue and set different effects and levels for each venue.

Please share!

I like your thinking. Someone here mentioned recording yourself flat eq no fx(vocal on one side, guitar on the other)then play it back and add eq, compression and fx to taste.
Not sure if one would have to add everything on the main L R buss to the prerecorded material and then copy it over to whatever inputs you would use live.
This is similar to what your thinking.....I think

I play solo or duo as well and my plan was to set it up to my liking and leave it alone unless there's feedback issues.
I would like to be able to switch between a long or short delay and may try to hook up a midi board of some kind to switch fx but haven't delved that deep into things yet.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM

Man. Finally got a minute to fiddle with the XR16. There's a definite learning curve. This is gonna take some real time to dial in--especially the reverb.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Man. Finally got a minute to fiddle with the XR16. There's a definite learning curve. This is gonna take some real time to dial in--especially the reverb.

Yup, but once you get it, you'll feel empowered. You'll be dying to mix a whole group!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yup, but once you get it, you'll feel empowered. You'll be dying to mix a whole group!

That's what I keep thinking: once I get a reverb and compression setting I like and get used to the interface, it'll be pretty sweet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification