The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
Thanks for al the replies!

I probably should have clarified a couple of things:

1. We don't use monitors with our current set up. So in louder environments it can be tough for everyone in the room to hear and not blast ourselves out / create feedback issues. Plus, standing to the side of the speaker, we don't hear what everyone else hears.

So, 2. When I say a "simpler" option, I mean simpler in the sense that it's easy to get a quality sound that everyone can hear, including band members, and not have to deal with feedback issues.
I use and like my Bose L1, especially since it's usually just me and my guitar. Are you in a position to borrow or rent one to try with your group? You'd need to match it's features with your group's needs, so perhaps a small mixer would be in order. (My Bose T1 Tonematch mixer/effects unit has 4 channels, and is quite handy, and since I bought it and the L1 used, a good value.) On the other hand, I like your current equipment, and can't help but wonder if small personal monitors might be all you need to add. I suspect you'd need two. I know, that adds to the system's complexity, but it also keeps you from having to buy some fairly expensive equipment. I'm pretty "frugal," okay, cheap, so I tend to look for the simplest, least expensive answers first.

cotten
Old 02-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Anyone have experience with the LD Maui series? They seem very well priced compared to the Bose.

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/
Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Anyone have experience with the LD Maui series? They seem very well priced compared to the Bose.

I had never heard of these before....they look quite promising, although there are no dealers in my local area. Since you mention it, I am curious about the pricing.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I had never heard of these before....they look quite promising, although there are no dealers in my local area. Since you mention it, I am curious about the pricing.
Another alternative that seems to get good reviews and even better pricing are the Turbosound IP500,1000 and 2000 systems.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

Quote:

LD just redesigned the Maui Mix series, now called G2. They are good units, but the new DPS controls aren't exactly clear to me. There is nothing but a level control for each of the channels. I suspect it will sound good because they have a good reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-23-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM

Default Any Advice on Portable Line Array PAs? (BOSE, etc)

I just finished reading the review of the HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i on S.O.S. I also downloaded their mixer app for my iPad to see what features were offered. I haven't had a chance to listen to one of these, but the technology appears to equal, or potentially, rival the Bose L1 Tonematch. Very impressive system for $1600. I think if I were someone willing to drop $2,000 to $3,000 on a Bose L1, I'd want to demo this unit first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Bose/Fishman

I've used both and bought the Compact. Both were good and not all that different but the Bose had more bass and suited my voice better, so I turned that say in the end. No regrets. Folks like what they hear and it is easy to hear. Never had a room it didn't handle, maybe sufficient for up to 100 folks for acoustic music. If you want something LOUD and earsplitting, look elsewhere than these two.

As others have said, they are designed for a single performer, but with the addition of a mixer can do quite well for groups.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 PM
Cocobologist

Have been a Bose L1 user for over a decade now. Currently have the Model 2 w/ 2x B1 and T1 mixer.

From my experience, the L1 is great for solo and duo type acts (That's how I use mine). Once you start adding more to a single array, the mix starts getting mushy and the instruments lose definition. My experience is based on 2x acoustic guitar+violin+bass, and acoustic guitar+bass+violin+percussion (Cajon/snare/hand percussion) setups.

The best I've heard/performed with is no more than two instruments per array. YMMV...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Another alternative that seems to get good reviews and even better pricing are the Turbosound IP500,1000 and 2000 systems.
I have three friends who all bought the IP2000 and rave about them. One sold his Bose and bought this. Tons of power, has Bluetooth for break music. I'm told Turbosound is a very reputable company overseas?

Anyone else tried one? For the price, I'm very tempted.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have a Maui 5. Love it so far. I bought their VIBZ 8DZ 8 channel mixer along with it and it's a great addition for more players. Separate sub woofer with separate control for sub and highs as well as the main volume, and input volumes. The BT ability made it a staple in the living room of our place here. The wife uses it constantly to stream music.

IMG_20161204_151505616-1336x1002 (1).jpg
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM

That is a great photo! I love the way that line array looks in conjunction with your art and décor.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll chime in. We have been using a Bose L1 Model II for our acoustic trio for a little over a year. We use 3 vocal mics and usually 3 instruments (instruments vary: guitar(s), banjo, mandolin). We play coffee-house and restaurant gigs in several different sized rooms with audiences ranging from 20-ish to 75-ish. Some of the rooms can be loud. We run everything direct to a Mackie ProFX mixer. Haven't found a room it won't fill and we get lots of compliments on our sound. Best part is it takes 3 trips to get everything into the venue and about 25 minutes complete setup. We ran a traditional PA for a long time and I'd never go back to that.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Our instrumental duo has been playing though a Fishman SA220 for 5 years and it has a nice natural tone and really good volume. It's very portable and takes less than 10 min to setup; I'd say one could do it in 5 min easily..
Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I have three friends who all bought the IP2000 and rave about them. One sold his Bose and bought this. Tons of power, has Bluetooth for break music. I'm told Turbosound is a very reputable company overseas?

Anyone else tried one? For the price, I'm very tempted.
Turbosound used to be known for their speakers especially. Though I think they recently got bought by Behringer.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Our instrumental duo has been playing though a Fishman SA220 for 5 years and it has a nice natural tone and really good volume. It's very portable and takes less than 10 min to setup; I'd say one could do it in 5 min easily..
Five minutes -- yes, including a short nap!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification