The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Default NRD...

New Recorder Day. When I got up this morning, the tracking showed that the Zoom H4n Pro package had arrived at the destination Post Office. We knew we'd be going that way to pick up some tickets for a spring training baseball game... just have to get there before noon (when the Post Office closes).

Back to the motorhome...

The box was heavier than I expected; turns out the rather thick Sweetwater catalog was a good portion of that weight. And, the case that was part of the bundle I ordered...

Nice case. The stuff in the bundle fits in there nicely...

I have been checking out tutorials on-line, but having the recorder in hand sure makes a difference. I put in the batteries and the SD card and fired it up... takes a while to come up with a 32 gig card. I tried a, "Mic check, one, two."

Yep, it works.

I set it on the galley countertop in the motorhome (yeah, lots of hard surfaces in there), and got out the X20. Just as I pressed the record button, the neighbor fired up his Harley. And let it warm up. It isn't quiet. After he finally pulled away, I could see there was some kind of noise on the meters... the very quiet overhead fan in the bedroom. I shut that off and the meters zeroed out.

Pressing record again, I played an abbreviated song... much better than trying to record with the built-in mic on the iPad. I will get something posted here after I learn how to compress the file - even the smallest wav file is large.

So, first impression: seems well-built and reasonably easy for an old dog to learn new tricks with it. I think I am going to enjoy it. I had been thinking about getting some kind of recorder; the lovely tone of the new X20 makes me want to record that sound. The Blonde will be very happy about that. And, making her happy... well, you know.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Cool....looking forward to your thoughts on the quality.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Cool....looking forward to your thoughts on the quality.

From the one test I've done (recorded on wav44, 1kHz, 16 bit), sounded great through my headphones. I need to load some other recording software and play with it... when I get a chance. Between the Blonde and our kid, they keep our time here pretty occupied.

I'll be studying up more on this the next couple days, as time permits.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

An update with the H4n Pro...

The recording quality of this unit is good. Since all my other guitar stuff is at home, I picked up a guitar cord locally (a minor painful experience at GC) so I could play directly into the recorder, as opposed to using the built-in mics. On the bright side, it lets me know the pickup on the new X20 is functional, and sounds decent. The not-so-bright side: a lot of hard surfaces in our motorhome, so it is not a good "mobile recording studio."

We have been busy the last week, so I haven't had much time with the recorder, other than discovering how to find different modes, recording quality, effects, etc. The few times that I have actually recorded have confirmed that it will be good when I can get in a quieter situation and have some mic and EQ options.

Early on, I'll say it is impressive for the size and features. And, when I do get a few free moments (this week), I have been enjoying the X20.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Time for a change - off with the D'Addarios that were on the X20, and on with a set of Elixir Phosphor Bronze...

The kitchen galley counter in the motorhome makes a decent guitar work station; nice lighting under the upper cabinets makes for good visibility. Gave me the opportunity to really look the guitar over - flawless construction.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/03...or-change.html

The Elixirs have an initial "jangly" that will play-in in a short time. I do like the feel of these strings much better. The guitar has been an impressive delight from day one, now feels even more "like home" with these strings.

No adjustments needed; love the action!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Out on the patio at sunset...

Some harsh light as the sun peeked under our awning just before it went down. Joan thought "the sparkle" off the X20 was pretty. No mention of the contrasty light on my face.

After the sun went behind the RV just west of us...

Enjoying the X20 every day.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM

I bought a Sony PCM-D50 recording unit a couple of years ago for business purposes, and also to make simple living room recordings. However, I have not quite gotten around to the guitar project. I have tried multi-tracking in the past and found it way too time consuming. The idea of a one-take direct recording with decent on-board microphones really appeals.

If your main living room is too "live" then try recording in the bedroom of the RV. The absorption of the bed and bedding, plus any open closets with clothes in them, will take that edge off the recording.

Always good to see CF guitars - and kitties. My cat interferes with my practice - whenever he hears the guitar, he comes in to listen and eventually wants to settle on my lap. "If you have time to play with that thing, you have time to pet ME".
Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Our little furry girl always comes to sit by me when I play. She doesn't ask for attention, just likes to listen and watch.

Great little traveler, too.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM

Living on the edge that cat be
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

The cat lives a pretty luxurious life. As it should be.

A hot time in the old town today. Got up to 95º. Last night was a record high low temperature... yeah, the low overnight was warmer than any previous overnight low for that day... um, night. The weather weasels here have to come up with different ways to say, "Another hot day in the desert."

My wife was engrossed in a book this morning, and asked me to come outside to play... guitar, that is. And, to bring the cat. The X20 went from the A/C in the motorhome to the warm outside air, no fuss. I played and sang quietly, but not a neighbor in sight for most of the morning.

Another 10 days or so, and we'll start our trek east, then south... home... to the house and the boat... the dolphins... and a good place to do some recording. Hard to do in the bedroom of the motorhome when the A/C needs to run more often than not.

A dry heat today, so not much in the way of clouds to make the sunset more dramatic...

Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Living vicariously through you Captain! Hopefully just a few more weeks before my woody takes a trip from the ol' Emerald isle....to Chicago.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I'm just up the hill from you Jim, temps were OK yesterday (80) but the humidity was 12%, it's better today at 18%....all the woodies are in their cases or little room with the humidifier while the CF sit around the house ready to be played with no complaining. A left wrist injury and several major house projects going on, so it's hard to find the time to play them this week. I will get to them soon though! Thank goodness for the CF guitars.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Hey, John - yes, the two Emeralds here are fairing better than the old guy who plays 'em... pollen, heat, low humidity... a trifecta of fun in the desert! None of which bothers these carbon fiber beauties.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Captain Jim...

2 things....

1. Your Emerald is definitely one of the best looking guitars I've seen in a while. Congrats! I don't know about you...but I know that with my Blackbird El Capitan... just looking at it and seeing how beautiful it is makes me go over there and pick it up and start playing. Can't wait for my Emerald Woody! Should be done in a few weeks.

2. Any further updates on the zoom recorder? Samples posted...really trying to figure out if that is a good option for me.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Hi Todd,

Here in the motorhome, both Emeralds live in their cases... no good place to leave them out. That will change once we get home (guitar room). They both get played as often as I can, and I still get that gasp that escapes when I open the case on the X20.

I have played with the Zoom H4n Pro, but the motorhome environment isn't conducive to getting a "clean" recording. I can turn the a/c off, but I'd sweat like a farm animal. On cooler days, with the windows open, there is always some outside noise. Nothing that I would consider "postable" , for now. Again, that will change when I get home. (a few weeks from now)

The recording quality of the Zoom is very nice. Well, based on using the two onboard mics; another reason for waiting 'till we are home, where I will have a couple other mics to try. For the price, the features and ease of use are all I hoped for. I have done stereo recording, and played with the 4 track feature.

For all the years I've been playing, I have done little recording. Some band stuff back in the 70s, but other than that, it has been the occasional video or the recordings I did with the iPad Mini last year for the Blonde. The H4n Pro will definitely move that up a notch or twelve.

Looking forward to seeing images of your new Emerald when it arrives.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber