The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-29-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I too love Isbell, his writing, and the song "Elephant," but am not a fan of the F-bomb as a word in general (or what it means/how it's used). I understand exactly why he chose to use the word in the context of the song, but if I played it live, I wouldn't use the word. So maybe I wouldn't perform the song.

One of the main reasons for not using the word is because the song is about love and intimacy and loss and yet, some drunk idiot in a bar would tune out my performance entirely until hearing the F-bomb and then start screaming like I was playing the opening riff of "Free Bird." No thanks.

My position is somewhat similar...

If a person is uncomfortable singing Jason's lyric as written, or if the audience would be offended, or behave in a juvenile fashion like you describe (and I've seen some crowds that would definitely do so) then the song shouldn't be performed, especially in a censored manner...I think an artist's intellectual work should be respected, and I've personally never heard anyone who was offended when Jason performed the song as written...

Jason Isbell has a pretty solid repertoire, and I believe a singer can easily find a good piece of his music to comfortably perform in any venue...

Last edited by Denny B; 01-29-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

In regards to the "F word, it just seem to be the only word he could of used. Any other word would have demished the meaning of the line, and the song.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
In regards to the "F word, it just seem to be the only word he could of used. Any other word would have demished the meaning of the line, and the song.
It was absolutely the correct word. In the song, the two of them are friends, not a couple, and that's what they were and are. It would have been, as they say, a friendship that moved into the benefits realm, and thus the F word.

At least that's how I read it, or over-read it.
1970ish Harmony Buck Owens American
2012 Martin D1AXE
Old 01-30-2017, 11:09 AM

I am a big fan of Jason Isbell. His writing is some of the best. His playing compliments his songs very nicely. The link is for Hurricanes and Hand Grenades. Lousy video, but a great song played simply and tastefully.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48C-2MLDC0

(The imbedded video isn't working for me, so you'll have to click on the link to watch the video. Or not.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write