The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Intonation varies with string brand?

This is a little different question than the other intonation thread on this page. I have an entry-level Ramirez that will tune ok with certain brands/types of strings and terribly with others. Savarez Alliance were ok, Oasis drifted high at the 12th fret, Labella 900 were off in the middle of the board, Aquilla bass are fine but the 3rd treble is off by 20 cents at the 12th! The guitar is a decent guitar and I know that it's not the instrument because the intonation problems change with each pack of strings (moreso on the trebles).

I'm very well-versed on intonation when it comes to steel-steings and electrics and I make my own saddles and adjust the nuts for nearly every guitar I buy. But, before I do that on my classical I want to find a favorite brand and figure out if this odd intonation is more specific to brand, material, tension, or what?
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 PM

My experience is that certain brands seem to be better intonated at particular scale lengths, not necessarily on individual guitars. I've had nylon guitars from 640 to 664 mm, and besides the usual peculiarities regarding each instrument's string "preference" for tone, some strings did better from an intonation perspective based on scale length.

D'Addario Pro Artes preferred the somewhat standard 650mm. Hannabach are good on 655. And Luthier were the best on the longest scale, 664.

This could be total bollocks but it represents my empirical observations with about half a dozen guitars.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
My experience is that certain brands seem to be better intonated at particular scale lengths, not necessarily on individual guitars. I've had nylon guitars from 640 to 664 mm, and besides the usual peculiarities regarding each instrument's string "preference" for tone, some strings did better from an intonation perspective based on scale length.

D'Addario Pro Artes preferred the somewhat standard 650mm. Hannabach are good on 655. And Luthier were the best on the longest scale, 664.

This could be total bollocks but it represents my empirical observations with about half a dozen guitars.
That makes sense and I'm sure it comes into play. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Default String Brand

I used this older thread to point something out recently in changing string brands. I have owned a D-28 for almost two years. I put 13's on it originally and thought they were a little heavy. Changed to 12's and played on them until recently when I put John Pearse 13's on because I just happened to have them. I can't believe how much I like them. It's almost like a new guitar in my hands.

Flat picking, finger, strum all three play and sound wonderful. Maybe need to point out the this is a 1993 that showed signs of little play. Was and still in excellent shape with zero wear, scratches or dings so maybe it has opened up a bit as well. Anyway, couldn't be happier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical