The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG View Post
Are there plans to produce a left-handed version?
For now just play in front of a mirror .... hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-17-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Most likely we don't have a lefty in this format this year. Due to the wedge design, the tooling costs vs demand make it prohibitive at this point. I expect a year or two down the road we'll have a lefty model.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
No, but it gave me a nice chuckle.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:34 AM

Default Coming to NAMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Kramster, you coming to NAMM? If so, please come by our booth. I feel like you're the legend I've never met!
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Kramster, you coming to NAMM? If so, please come by our booth. I feel like you're the legend I've never met!
Oh stop now...you make a me blush...Yes my 4th year going,,,, where you gonna be so I can photo and video you a bit??
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Visit us at 2015 NAMM Show at Booth 1131 on Jan 22-25
http://www.namm.org/files/X/exhibith...ml?zoomto=1131

Looking forward to finally meeting you!
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 AM

I got my OF-660 yesterday. All but the first two frets are flat and the action is too high for me. Couple the high action with the flat frets and it is a nightmare to play. Lots of buzzing if I don't use a massive amount of pressure because with flat frets you have to press harder than on crowned frets.

It sounds good, looks good, is the perfect size, the pick-up is really good especially for not having any tone controls, but I want to enjoy playing it and so far, no joy. In hind sight I should have kept my Voyage Air until I knew the OF-660 would be a good fit. I have to go on a trip at the end of next week and it is unlikely I will be taking the OF-660.

I will see if I can resolve the flat frets and high action because the guitar is perfect for travel, the size and scale length are a perfect compromise to my full-sized guitars.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 01-20-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I got my OF-660 yesterday. All but the first two frets are flat and the action is too high for me. Couple the high action with the flat frets and it is a nightmare to play. Lots of buzzing if I don't use a massive amount of pressure because with flat frets you have to press harder than on crowned frets.

It sounds good, looks good, is the perfect size, the pick-up is really good, but I want to enjoy playing it and so far, no joy. In hind sight I should have kept my Voyage Air until I knew the OF-660 would be a good fit. I have to go on a trip at the end of next week and it is unlikely I will be taking the OF-660.

I will see if I can resolve the flat frets and high action because the guitar is perfect for travel, the size and scale length are a perfect compromise to my full-sized guitars.
I wonder why 2 frets were crowned and the others flat? Hmmmmm. Hopefully someone can fill me in on what's happening. There's one that's on the MacNichol's road trip right now and it would be good to hear if that is finished the same or if there is a difference.

Anyone?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM

I talked with Rob at Journey and he is going to swap out the guitar.

Thank you Rob, it is good to know Journey stands behind their products. I appreciate the quick response to my email.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 PM

Very nice indeed!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 AM

Very good news. This guitar is definitely in my future.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM

Have been away awhile so just saw this. Just wrote to dragonfly66 with my experiences.

Had action adjusted and have no problems playing up the neck. Frets are reasonably consistent (looking at it more closely, a bit flatter up the neck, but I don't find it to be an issue) and now that the strings have settled down, have no tuning issues. Plays and sounds great.

There were some finish issues so my dealer gave me a bit of a discount. I, like others wonder about the desirability of a gloss finish. I think a matte finish would be just fine and probably look better in real world usage.

Ordered early in anticipation of a couple of trips which came and went prior to the guitar's arrival. Might not have purchased had I known that, but the guitar will probably live most of its life in my office at work and that's worth something.

Glad to hear that the guitar is being swapped out since it didn't sound like my experience. Hope it all works out.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Journey OF 660 availability?

Hi folks. I've been following the threads on the OF660, and figured, based on what I have seen (and very helpful! Thanks) I would bite the bullet and add one to my already (over-extensive, according to my wife) extensive collection.

I placed an order yesterday, but was surprised to get a "might be 30 days, might be 60 days before we can deliver, )but thank you for the deposit)" response.

I wanted a travel guitar because I will be traveling on assignment for a couple of months, but unfortunately, I am not able to wait that long (whichever it might be.. .30 or 60 days).

Could anyone recommend a dealer that is likely to have product available before then please? I see that Journey had brought production back in-house, so hopefully supply is freed up somewhat?

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks, Mick.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick335 View Post
Hi folks. I've been following the threads on the OF660, and figured, based on what I have seen (and very helpful! Thanks) I would bite the bullet and add one to my already (over-extensive, according to my wife) extensive collection.

I placed an order yesterday, but was surprised to get a "might be 30 days, might be 60 days before we can deliver, )but thank you for the deposit)" response.

I wanted a travel guitar because I will be traveling on assignment for a couple of months, but unfortunately, I am not able to wait that long (whichever it might be.. .30 or 60 days).

Could anyone recommend a dealer that is likely to have product available before then please? I see that Journey had brought production back in-house, so hopefully supply is freed up somewhat?

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks, Mick.
First off, welcome to the forum Mick.

As to your question, the OF660 took over a year to start shipping after it was announced, so there was plenty of time for dealers to line up clients for them. Keep in mind that the OF660 is a new model, from a new company. I stumbled on to Rob's booth at winter NAMM 2013 so I don't anticipate they will be flooding the market with OF660's anytime soon.

Having said that, I would suggest contacting Journey to see if they can give you a list of dealers that were shipped OM660's recently, and call each store to see if they have one.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
First off, welcome to the forum Mick.

As to your question, the OF660 took over a year to start shipping after it was announced, so there was plenty of time for dealers to line up clients for them. Keep in mind that the OF660 is a new model, from a new company. I stumbled on to Rob's booth at winter NAMM 2013 so I don't anticipate they will be flooding the market with OF660's anytime soon.

Having said that, I would suggest contacting Journey to see if they can give you a list of dealers that were shipped OM660's recently, and call each store to see if they have one.
Thanks Ted! For the welcome, and of course the advice! I really like the look of this guitar, and like the sound of the Journey in general. I do need something soon as I will be on an overseas assignment so if I cannot get delivery, I may have to just buy the 440 or similar (of course, I was hoping for the ruggedness of the CF model)

I assumed they were shipping (limited) volume due to the comments about pulling in-house, plus obviously some people commented on theirs (I guess I should offer to buy the one with the fret issues!

Thanks again for the very quick feedback.

Regards, Mick.

Appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber