The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Default Banjitar strings?

Hi....I just bought a Gold Tone BT-2000R. Im really enjoying it, but its almost time for new strings. What brand, guage and source do you use? Thanks!
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Many sources I've read recommend electric strings in one of the middle gauge ranges. I use D'Addario XL J21 12-52 on my Deering D-6 for Irish and rhythm work, but at ~14 pounds with a traditional tone ring it's built like a tank; I'm thinking your Gold Tone, at 8 pounds, is of somewhat lighter construction, considering the OEM strings run 10-52 (an electric light top/heavy bottom set). A good starting point for all-around use might be the D'Addario XL115W set; at 11-49 with a wound G it'll give you tighter, punchier highs and a more "banjoey" low end with comparable overall string tension. If you're predominantly a fingerstyle player and/or want a crisper, looser tone, the XL110W set (10-46/wound G) might be a good choice; should you go this route, however, you may also need to adjust the coordinator/truss rods and/or head tension to compensate for the lighter strings (and if you're not experienced in this area, I'd leave the job to a reliable tech). A third option is to substitute the low E and A strings with an .010 and .007 respectively, and tune them to first-string E and A (open/5th fret); FWIW, I've only seen this done successfully on shorter-scale instruments (yours is 25.5"), but it gives a good approximation of 5-string tone when fingerpicked...

Hope this helps...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 PM

I use DR electric guitar sets 9's on my dean backwoods 6. use open G and drop D tunings for a more "banjo" like tone.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM

Good info. Thanks!
Voyage Air VAOM-04
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I use XL super light gauge.

Todd
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM

OnTheLedge, I have a Deering B6 guitar-banjo, and string it with light gauge strings. The B6 ships from the factory with extra lights on it, but those strings were a little too willowy for my tastes.

I've also tried mediums on it, but it doesn't sound good with them, so lights it is, and lights it shall stay.

My favorite-sounding strings on my B6 are John Pearse phosphor bronze lights, but the use pattern I have with that instrument is to get into it and use it heavily for a few weeks or couple of months, then leave it alone for a while.

So alone out of my major instruments, it generally has coated strings on it, either Cleartones or Elixir Nanowebs.

Something to be aware of with guitar-banjos is that the necks on them can shift a lot. I noticed this when I had a no-name Korean-made guitar banjo, and it still happens with my Deering.

When I met Greg Deering at a music trade show and explained the problem I was having with this, he pointed out that it's a long neck under a lot of tension and it's sticking out there with none of the structural support that a guitar neck gets from the upper bouts of a guitar.

So what I do is leave the truss rod cover off of my B6 and carry the correct socket wrench in the case pocket to make adjustments when needed. I've taken the instrument out of its case and found the strings fairly high off the fretboard, and I've had it go the other direction, too, with the strings laying flat on the fingerboard and buzzing like mad when I played them.

So for me tweaking the neck on my guitar-banjo is just another little chore that sometimes needs to be done, no different than tuning the strings or attaching the strap to the strap buttons. It takes all of about twenty seconds to do once you get used to doing it.

Just be aware that this might be an issue with your Goldtone guitar-banjo, too, and if it occurs it isn't a sign that the instrument is defective, it's just an additional chore that can come with the territory when you've got a guitar-banjo.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up on neck shifting, Wade. I've never heard of that and I would have freaked! Now I'll be prepared.....
Voyage Air VAOM-04
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Have a Deering B6 open back with a Maple Tone ring. I do think pure nickel strings are the best, ring better on Banjo. The easiest way to get them is an Electric set. I believe I got 10--- 46 with wound G.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

I recently purchased a Deering B6 and was wondering if anyone tried D'Addario EXP 80/20 Light acoustic strings on it. Or has anyone tried Elixir Nanoweb Light electric strings on it?

norm <><

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

2003 Taylor 714ce-LTD Cocobolo | Taylor Holden Village GS Mini | Baby Taylor Rosewood | Martin 00-15SM Custom | RainSong Shorty SG-FLE | Kamaka HF-3 | Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-pf120...a&kw=ghs-pf120

I bought the GHS strings actually made for a 6 string banjo, and they were the best strings I have had. Very much of a banjo sound. Only issue is that they are made for the old banjos and have loop ends. I took the brass ends out of my old set of strings and used them to make it work. Not sure I would do that again, but they were very nice.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the tip on the GHS strings Steve. I'll give them a try!

norm <><

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

2003 Taylor 714ce-LTD Cocobolo | Taylor Holden Village GS Mini | Baby Taylor Rosewood | Martin 00-15SM Custom | RainSong Shorty SG-FLE | Kamaka HF-3 | Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I have owned & played a Deering Boston B6 for about 5 years. The best strings I have ever used on this is the Elixir Extra light gauge 10 - 47 Nano Coated Phosphor Bronze. The 80/20 Bronze set in the same gauge is also a fine choice but I prefer the more meaty tone of the PB set. They still have plenty of cut but add a little more to the overall tone.

Maybe just my ears but I've tried different Nickle wound electric sets and while it sounded interesting to me they sound way better with an acoustic set.

Good thing about strings is that it's pretty cheap to experiment so have fun!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM

I think one key are fairly light bass strings. I don't think banjos by nature take well to the lower bass that 6 strings have. The thinner strings I think ringer better. A heavier bass can sound kind of dull and thuddy. The GHS strings made for banjo 6 string has low end at 42. That is pretty thin.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I think one key are fairly light bass strings. I don't think banjos by nature take well to the lower bass that 6 strings have. The thinner strings I think ringer better. A heavier bass can sound kind of dull and thuddy. The GHS strings made for banjo 6 string has low end at 42. That is pretty thin.
A lot depends on your right hand attack. I've tried extra lights on my B6, but they just don't give me the the sort of punch and projection I want from the instrument.

The guitar-banjo is one of those offbeat instruments that is still rare enough that most people and most musicians don't have preconceived notions about it, aside from any ideas that they might have about banjos in general.

When I got my first guitar-banjo back in the early 1980's, they were largely unknown, and often despised by those musicians who DID know about them. Greg Deering truly did significantly advance the guitar-banjo as a viable musical instrument with his introduction of a carved intonated bridge.

Anyway, what works well for you or me might not work as well for the next person. It's still a rare enough instrument that we can sort of figure things out for ourselves and find different ways of using it.

whm
Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
A lot depends on your right hand attack. I've tried extra lights on my B6, but they just don't give me the the sort of punch and projection I want from the instrument.

The guitar-banjo is one of those offbeat instruments that is still rare enough that most people and most musicians don't have preconceived notions about it, aside from any ideas that they might have about banjos in general.

When I got my first guitar-banjo back in the early 1980's, they were largely unknown, and often despised by those musicians who DID know about them. Greg Deering truly did significantly advance the guitar-banjo as a viable musical instrument with his introduction of a carved intonated bridge.

Anyway, what works well for you or me might not work as well for the next person. It's still a rare enough instrument that we can sort of figure things out for ourselves and find different ways of using it.

whm
All true, I like that bright, snappy? 5 string sound and am draw to getting strings to reproduce it. Deering makes a incredible 6 string, action better than most of my guitars. And these are just a hoot to play. Such a happy instrument.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments