The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Back brace shaving on 000-15sm

I grabbed this out of the cupboard for a play recently. It is a lovely guitar but has that muted tone I guess is typical of all-mahogany guitars.

Poking about inside, I note that back braces #s 3 and 4 are tall and quite thick, in contrast to the low, wide braces that vintage instruments would have, and that we would probably ask for in a custom instrument.

In order to make the back a bit more 'live', I'm wondering about shaving them down.

I am happy to get my hand inside and plane away a little, but has anyone experience of doing this?

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 PM

I have done many. Shave the two lower braces to about 1/2" tall, and they will be the same stiffness as the low wide braces Martin used before 1990.
Martin changed the bracing to combat issues with high humidity in the plant when bracing the backs. The humidity issue was short-lived, but Martin retained the bracing except on the Authentics which were introduced years later.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 PM

Perfect - thanks John. I'm assuming that the 'parabolic' ie rounded profile is maintained.

I'll post results when done...
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Guest 1928

Like John, Bryan Kimsey has done a lot of this too, including some of my guitars. Similar to removing the popsicle brace (which your guitar doesn't have) I find that it makes the tone a bit more full and rich, not necessarily louder. IMO it's a noticeable improvement with little risk if you keep the braces at 1/2".
Old 03-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Likely to void the warranty, yes? Maybe you bought it used, and/or dont care, but it's something to consider.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM

If the guitar is under warranty, I advise the owner that carving braces will void it.
I round the back braces for looks, but I doubt that it will improve the sound over leaving them square.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair