The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 AM

I love Julian's sense of design. Always beautiful.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I've just received very excited news from Julian that the guitar has been strung up. It will be in his shop for another week or so for some final tweaking. Here are some pictures:

Beautiful BRW back:

Top, rosette, and bridge:

Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Congratulation Brian, on such a beauty...I was lucky to heard the first few notes from it the other day...the sound match the look to say the least!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendo7683 View Post
I've just received very excited news from Julian that the guitar has been strung up. It will be in his shop for another week or so for some final tweaking. Here are some pictures:

Beautiful BRW back:

Top, rosette, and bridge:

2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Howard!! I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks !!
Brian.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Looks beautiful, Brian--congrats!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Interesting that Julian and his Somogyi classmate Leo Buendia both tend to make long headstocks. Long and very pretty.
Brian, it's just gorgeous; I know you're excited. There appear to be a number of similarities between your Gaffney and the guitar Leo Buendia is building for me, as should be expected.

Regarding the final headstock (not shown in the most recent photos), can we assume there were no changes in its proportions from the photos you've already shown us in post #10?

Rogthefrog, Leo offers a number of headstock shapes one can find at his website for clients to select from, but the design element in all of them that seems to serve as the Buendia 'signature' is his use of a decorative wedge, which may contain a contrasting accent wood or geometric design. As a 'design guy' myself, I admire this choice for the flexibility it affords to customize the headstock shape on request for a client while retaining the characteristic feature that marks it as a Buendia.

Of the other Somogyi apprentices, Kostal has come up with his own unique headstock profile, while others like Kraut, Sands and Gaffney seem to favor more traditional shapes, but with characteristic 'notches' in a distinctive pattern as their signature.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Brian, it's just gorgeous; I know you're excited. There appear to be a number of similarities between your Gaffney and the guitar Leo Buendia is building for me, as should be expected.

Regarding the final headstock (not shown in the most recent photos), can we assume there were no changes in its proportions from the photos you've already shown us in post #10?

Rogthefrog, Leo offers a number of headstock shapes one can find at his website for clients to select from, but the design element in all of them that seems to serve as the Buendia 'signature' is his use of a decorative wedge, which may contain a contrasting accent wood or geometric design. As a 'design guy' myself, I admire this choice for the flexibility it affords to customize the headstock shape on request for a client while retaining the characteristic feature that marks it as a Buendia.

Of the other Somogyi apprentices, Kostal has come up with his own unique headstock profile, while others like Kraut, Sands and Gaffney seem to favor more traditional shapes, but with characteristic 'notches' in a distinctive pattern as their signature.
Thank you! I am excited for both you and Brian; Leo is a wonderful builder and a good friend and I've been watching your build thread intently.

The headstock on this guitar was changed to better suit Brian, it is shorter (then it was in post #10) and slightly wider at the crown then my normal shape. I like it both ways personally, with the longer more exaggerated shape being my current favorite.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Another interesting note about this guitar is that it's my first to feature a surface transducer style pickup. Specifically two Dazzo pickups. Teddy (the designer of the pickup) spent some time with me yesterday testing many different versions in different configurations.

I was very pleased with the results. I do think of my guitars as sort of "purist" acoustics and was somewhat hesitant at first but this was a pleasant surprise. The pickup is very light weight and I couldn't discern a big difference in un-amplified sound. Plugged in the nuances of the acoustic sound were surprising well captured by the surface transducer, without the overly harsh and digital sound of an under saddle piezo.

All that's to say ...I don't want to part with this one Brian!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Julian, thanks for the good wishes for both Brian and me.

Can you say a little more, and maybe show a pic of the 'surface transducer' pickup? I'm imagining something stuck to the top...?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Julian, thanks for the good wishes for both Brian and me.

Can you say a little more, and maybe show a pic of the 'surface transducer' pickup? I'm imagining something stuck to the top...?
Yes, you're right. it's a transducer that attaches directly to the top. I'm my case the bridge plate (which is typical for these). In our testing we decided to place two wooden shelled transducers in a somewhat unusual spot to get the most accurate sound. I understand from Teddy that the challenge is generally getting adequate bass response. This was less of a problem with mine (I would think this would be true of Leo's as well) because of the already bass heavy response of the guitar.

My guitars are built very similarly to Ervin's in that I want lots of top movement. Specifically the monopole mode of vibration. In other words they're engineered to be more mechanically compliant then a traditional style of guitar. A three dimensional transducer like the Dazzo (which is a derivitive of the FRAP) is capable of being excited by more modes of vibration then an undersaddle transducer like a piezo. In this way it can better read and output the high amplitude movement of my tops. That's the theory anyway.

All that said, this is the first pickup I've used in my guitars and my ability to draw solid conclusions is not there yet. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised. If you're considering amplifing your Buendia it's fairly easy to try a surface transducer like the Dazzo, all you have to do is hold it in place to get a sense of the ideal positioning and then make things semi perminant with glue once you're satisfied.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Gaffney View Post
Yes, you're right. it's a transducer that attaches directly to the top. I'm my case the bridge plate (which is typical for these)....
So is it attached to the inside of the top? On the bridge plate? Not the outside?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

that rosette might be the sweetest rosette I've ever seen!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
So is it attached to the inside of the top? On the bridge plate? Not the outside?
Yes. I suppose you could mount it to the outside but that would be an unfortunate look I think :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
that rosette might be the sweetest rosette I've ever seen!
Thank you!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

As classy as they come, love it, superb... 👍🏼
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM

Beautiful guitar. I would've chosen the exact same specs (or almost).

Looking forward to reading your reaction when you receive your new toy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop