The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-13-2015, 06:40 AM

Default Interview with Ed Gerhard at the Squareneck Journal

Great insights on musicianship from my latest interview with GRAMMY AWARD winning guitarist Ed Gerhard
http://squareneckjournal.com/2015/02...st-ed-gerhard/

Last edited by Rob Anderlik; 03-13-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up thank you

Ed is my all time favorite fingerstyle player.

thanks for posting

d
Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 AM

GREAT interview, Rob! You elicited some very nutritious food for thought, not only for squareneck players, but for anyone contemplating attempting to perpetrate music on any instrument.

Thanks also for asking about gear. Does me old heart good to learn that a heavyweight who plays custom instruments is satisfied with his sound through a sub-$100 pickup. One thought re gear: In future interviews, you might consider asking about the players' bar choices-- what currently works best, what they've tried and what problems they found, etc.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the great article. As a player who is transitioning to Weiss, this was great. To read how he learned about acoustic lap style was cool. I'm acquiring a second weissenborn style axe soon and will also begin experimenting with a pickup on it. I Think it will be an appropriate 'last third of my life' music project.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks, I'm glad you like the interview! John, that's a good point. I probably should have asked him which steel he uses.

It's always tough to strike just the right balance between discussions about gear vs. musicianship. On the one hand most readers want to know what kind of guitars someone plays, what gear they use, etc. On the other hand, many of the interviews that I've read over the years - especially interviews in magazines or platforms which depend on advertisers for revenue - can, at times, place too much emphasis on gear.

Part of what I'm trying to do at The Squareneck Journal is create a space which emphasizes musicianship. Not that gear isn't important, but the vast majority of online discussions that I've seen focus on gear over musicianship. What I'm trying to do is reverse that order at the Squareneck Journal.

Last edited by Rob Anderlik; 03-14-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Rob: I agree that articles often emphasize gear info (the commodity part of playing) over method, inspiration and approach. I rather enjoy hearing about the path that artists take. As a visual artist I am acutely aware of the path, experimenting, mistakes, etc. Artists tend to pressure themselves to be perfect. Stumbling about, making mistakes is good. There is beauty in distortion. I look forward to what new sounds and phrases I discover on the Weiss. Thanks for the blog.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 AM

When he first hit the scene it was quite a breath of fresh air. Great player. Thanks for all your work bringing us this stuff. It's very enjoyable!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That was great! I knew i liked his playing but it is great to find out that he thinks like me as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments