The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 PM

Default Might be cutting my own compensated TUSQ saddle

I measured the compensated plastic saddle on my Gibson, and Graph Tech doesn't offer a perfect fit. Height I can deal with, just sand down the backside of the saddle, but the width in the slot is wider on my guitar than any compensated saddle they make.

I think what I'm going to do is get a TUSQ XL blank and try to copy the compensated shape.

I'm sure this is going to be a lot harder than I think it'll be. Anyone have any tips, tricks or advice for a newbie?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

My tip would be; go with bone instead.
Cutting saddles is easy. I use a small file set and numerous grades of sand paper. At this point, I couldn't imagine buying a pre-compensated one. The intonation is just never right. Maybe close, but not close enough for me. I definitely recommend doing it yourself and cutting it for correct compensation on your instrument (don't just copy the generic one).
Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 AM

As Bowie said, go with bone and do your own. It doesn't take any special tools, just a file and sandpaper, and it's not difficult. Besides, blanks are pretty cheap, it's not a big deal to ruin one.
et al
Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM

You might try something simple I use to keep cutting edge tools sharp, and that is to glue sandpaper on a piece of glass. It makes a perfectly flat sanding surface on which you could prepare the bottom of the saddle.

For my chisels and such, I found an old glass supermarket grade kitchen cutting board. It was never very successful as a cutting board, but it's thick and made of tempered glass and makes an excellent sanding station. I just spray the back of the sandpaper with adhesive and stick it on.

For sanding, use 120 and then 220 grit. For sharpening tools I use 800, 1000 and 1200 grit automotive body shop paper.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 08-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Sandpaper glued to glass is a common method used in sharpening tools, as you mentioned. If one already has that setup one can certainly use it, otherwise it is overkill for preparing nuts and saddles.

After a point, how flat the surface is for preparing nuts and saddles doesn't matter. Even with the flattest of surfaces, one can easily still make nuts and saddles with rounded bottoms in both directions and out of square. Technique matters as much or more than the flatness of the surface to which the sandpaper is attached. Sandpaper attached to a relatively flat piece of MDF or plywood is sufficient for preparing nuts and saddles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair