The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 PM

Default Converting to 12 String

I have a cheap 6 string guitar I purchased for my wife some years back, I have never really played it, because I Luuurrrvee my Maton. Can't even recall what brand it is at the moment (probably Ashton or the like). Now to the Question. Given that 12 stings are going to exert much more pressure on the neck and Bridge. Will

a) the neck withstand the extra tension without anything other than a possible truss rod adjustment, and,

b) obviously the bridge is going to need a bit of work to cater for the extra strings, will the standard bracing support the extra tension or will I also have to add bracing to the guitar to handle it?

I might just attempt to build an electric 12 out of a bit of Jarrah that I have lying around here.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 AM

Jarrah is not a good tone wood, (I am assuming you are in Australia and in fact in Perth by the wood choice).

It is a great wood for strength, looks good as a fretboard. However IMO, no good for acoustic bodies or necks acoustic / electric. Perfectly fine for an electric body construction.

12 Strings acoustic tops, have typically heavier bracing, from unusual non conventional layouts to approximately 30 percent thicker on standard designs.

Unfortunately Ashtons suffer neck and top issues as a 6 string with heavy strings (Well 13-56's), I would not ever consider converting one to a 12.

If you need more local info, feel free to PM me.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 AM

Find the nearest CashConverters & see if they have a 12 string you want.

Use whatever they offer for the el cheapo 6 string as credit to help you get it.

I wouldn't even try to contemplate the logistics of what you're suggesting.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:01 AM

hi
It is not uncommon to see twelve string guitars buckling under the strain. Necks coming loose and bending , bridges pulling the sound board in to a bulge . I think converting a guitar that is not used in something you might be use is a good idea, and it will be an interesting exercise. If you use a light gauge string set you might be able to ply it for a bit ? if it starts to bend under the strain, you will know what to look out for when you buy a twelve string.

Last edited by gauchita; 08-19-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

All of the above, plus - a 12 string needs at least a 1 &7/8" nut width.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

For all practical purposes, this cannot be done.

Even if it was done, it wouldn't "work".

If it was done and somehow worked it would spontaneously rip itself apart.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 AM

Thanks guys, it's pretty much as I had expected.

Actually, Steve, I'm in South Aust and the Jarrah is an old fence post which is at least 50 years old. I wouldn't even consider it for an acoustic instrument, but wondered how it would go as an electric given that, IMO, tonewood does not affect the sound of an electric nearly as much as the pickups and electronics.

Unfortunately, my finances do not run to a decent 12 string at this time, so Cashies might be getting a visit from me. I'm certainly aware of the potential issues with 12 Strings. My first guitar was cheap 12 string with a stuffed neck which I replaced with a bolt on 12 string neck back in the 1970s. It played all right until the block that I used for bracing started pushing though the backboard. (I knew nothing of guitar construction back then). My next 12 string was an Ovation which also ended up with a twisted neck after I moved to Darwin in the late 70s. My most successful 12 was a cheapie I purchased as a backup instrument in the 90s. I did extensive work on the action to make it suitable to me and ended up giving it to a traveller a few years later.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:15 AM

The real problem would be fitting another half dozen tuners on the headstock. The conversion is one of those things that could be made to work, but it would take a large amount of highly skilled labor to pull it off. Might as well commission a custom build, and get the specs you want. It would be cheaper.
et al
Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM

I have gone the other way - cutting a new nut on an existing 12-string as a way to test a 1-7/8" neck width with six strings. But as already said above, it probably is not feasible to add the extra strings.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
I have a cheap 6 string guitar I purchased for my wife some years back, I have never really played it, because I Luuurrrvee my Maton. Can't even recall what brand it is at the moment (probably Ashton or the like). Now to the Question. Given that 12 stings are going to exert much more pressure on the neck and Bridge. Will

a) the neck withstand the extra tension without anything other than a possible truss rod adjustment, and,

b) obviously the bridge is going to need a bit of work to cater for the extra strings, will the standard bracing support the extra tension or will I also have to add bracing to the guitar to handle it?

I might just attempt to build an electric 12 out of a bit of Jarrah that I have lying around here.
There are so many good cheap 12 string options, I might suggest looking into one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair