The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Taylor expression question.

Hello,
I bought an older Taylor 310ce. The pickup does not seem to work. It is the older version that uses AA batteries. I heard the most common problem was the corrosion on the battery box. I checked it out, and the circuit seems to be good. The board that the 1/4" connectors plugs into did not want to stay in the plastic holder, so I placed a little paper on the bottom to add a little friction to hold in place. I don't use the pickup, just use it acoustically, so it doesn't matter if the pickup works, but would prefer it to work. I was curious if there were any other common problems with the expression system. Also, I was going to get a setup done and some fretwork done. I was going to ask them to take a look at it, as long as they had it. Does it make sense to fix the pickup, or would I be just better off with an aftermarket, if I ever needed it?
Thanks for you help and insight.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 AM

Among Taylor aficionados, the AA battery ES1.2 is liked the least. I prefer the 9V version ES1.3. I have also read threads here about people who pulled the whole system out, and replaced the entire endpin battery box with a cover plate and a conventional strap button. Many people like the K&K Pure Mini system as a pickup, if you remove or abandon in place.

Let your shop do some troubleshooting while they have it (assuming they know Taylor electronics). Repair may not be a big deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair