The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Default Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen) acoustic-ish cover!

Howdy folks,

Today, I decided to record a cover of this song that's been very popular as of late.

Link: http://youtu.be/nv5a1gOE-b0

Notes on the recording:
I had my vocals along with guitar recorded and was going to finish it like that, when I decided to throw in a simple bass line to beef it up a bit. That kinda went on with the mandolin, a shaker and the electric guitar when I finally decided to call it a day. Because of this unplanned addition it's not very spot on the beat because a metronome was never used. And the base recording wasn't very tight either.

Some background info:
So I've started singing again. Why? Well I was going to play at a local event. Played part of one set while I was going to play 2. Bad organization.

Since then I've decided that I'm going to pick up singing again, warm up my voice every day, sing some songs, watch my technique and that I hit the notes right and stay relaxed and everything. Articulation is an important aspect for me to improve also. When that's done it's on to work on my tone and last comes the feel, like when everything goes automatically the right feeling will show through my singing.

Anyway, I started with a cover of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" just to get something new out on my channel again. I got C&C on that and practiced a bit more. Tried to hit my notes right, articulate a bit more, sing a bit more relaxed and this cover (what this topic is all about) is what came out.

Comments and critiques are much welcomed.

Thanks for checking out!

CZ

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 07-12-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM

The guitar playing is fine. Nice picking technique, nice rhythm.

The vocals, on the other hand, are barely passable.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
The guitar playing is fine. Nice picking technique, nice rhythm.

The vocals, on the other hand, are barely passable.
Thanks! Yes, the guitar is always the strong part in these kinds of covers. Do you have any tips for me? I would greatly appreciate that.

*** EDIT EDIT EDIT: Hold on, rewind, I mixed up the links! Sorry for wasting your time! :O
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Nicely done, Cue. Isn't it fun multi-tracking? I think you could have brought in the mando sooner, but it all sounded very good together! Keep them coming!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Nicely done, Cue. Isn't it fun multi-tracking? I think you could have brought in the mando sooner, but it all sounded very good together! Keep them coming!
Yeah, at first I liked it and then found it to take a lot of time. But now is my holiday and I have time to get better at everything. And time to do these kinds of multi-tracking projects. Primary focus is guitar (acoustic and electric) and singing, I'll do mandolin, bass and cajon on the side. Thinking of getting some more percussion instruments for these kinds of recordings, always sounds great (tambourine/beat ring is at the top of my list).

I'll do it better next time, really (timing wise).

Thanks for checking out and commenting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell