The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Default Which Los Angeles stores have a good selection of USED guitars in the $1,500 + range?

Looking for a nice used acoustic. I have up to $3,000 to spend. I want to buy a used guitar that has already opened up. Which stores in the So Cal area have the best selection of used stuff these days. Not interested in new guitars, just used ones and I want to play them before I buy. I am willing to drive if the selection is worth it. Which stores do you recommend?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Contact Ted at LA Guitar Sales, He always has a great selection of new and used at terrific prices.
Can try McCabes too. Won't get the pricing but usually a nice selection.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Which Los Angeles stores have a good selection of USED guitars in the $1,500 + range?

Another vote for Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM

plus 2 for LA Guitar sales, and you should also visit "Norm's Rare Guitars" on Ventura Blvd. I've bought a few guitars from Norm, and his inventory is usually pretty good.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks I have never been to LA Guitar Sales. I will go tomorrow and check out the Guitar Center and the shops in that area as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

If you are wiling to drive a bit further south you could drop in on Buffalo Bros

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/ They always have many used guitars in stock that you can play and compare with the new ones.

Col
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

hollywood guitar center often has some good stuff, sometimes doesn't. when we're talking used, there's some luck of the draw involved. i prefer the downstairs used acoustics to the downstairs and upstairs vintage acoustics.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Here's another vote for Ted @ LA Guitar Sales. He's a great guy, very knowledgeable and he has a good selection
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 AM

Hands down - Norman's Rare Guitars on Ventura Blvd. in Tarzana. An absolutely orgasmic display of used wonders of all sizes, shapes and grooves. Anything you don't see, Norman has - ask and he'll bring it to the store. Enjoy to the max!

McCabes on Pico is next, then Westwood Music on Westwood Blvd. Big dark horse vibe to California Vintage Guitars on Van Nuys Blvd. in Sherman Oaks - bought my D-28 Marquis from them and I trust these folk much.

Last edited by Landru; 11-09-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
If you are wiling to drive a bit further south you could drop in on Buffalo Bros

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/ They always have many used guitars in stock that you can play and compare with the new ones.

Col
There inventory was way way down last time I was there. I would say it was down by more half from what it was a couple of years ago.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
hollywood guitar center often has some good stuff, sometimes doesn't. when we're talking used, there's some luck of the draw involved. i prefer the downstairs used acoustics to the downstairs and upstairs vintage acoustics.
Yeah I know it is luck of the draw. Last time I was in Westwood Music they had several nice pieces. I will have to swing by there as well.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightblues View Post
There inventory was way way down last time I was there. I would say it was down by more half from what it was a couple of years ago.
That's a pity, it used to be great down there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion