The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Default RainSong NGD and string question

I use a lot of alternate tunings and just bought a RainSong Shorty. It sounds really nice but I was wondering if I could pull out a bit more bass response by using medium lights (012 016 024 035 045 056). The guitar is set up for lights but being a carbon fiber I know that it can handle the extra tension- and this coupled by the fact that the short scale should actually benefit from the extra tension when dropping the low E to a C or C#.

Any thoughts? Anybody try bluegrass strings on their RainSongs, the Shorty in particular?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Congratulations on your new guitar! I love my Rainsong.
As for your string question, I'd recommend contacting Rainsong for a definitive answer. I suspect they will say it is ok but better safe than sorry.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats on acquiring your Shorty. I can only offer that this same question has come up about the CA Cargo, and although I prefer lights on mine, I have tried mediums as have many others, all without any problem whatsoever.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:43 PM

I pulled out a bit more bass simply by switching to PBs from the 80/20 that it shipped with.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 PM

I don't have a shorty, but on my L13 I changed from 12s to 13s recently and found a great difference on the lower end. From now on, I think I'll only consider medium lights or just mediums. I'd probably prefer medium lights, but I'm currently using nickel strings and have only found mediums for them so far.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I really don't want to have to modify the nut even though I have full confidence that the guitar could take take the added tension. I think I'm going to go with AZ's suggestion to try out the light PBs to see how that changes things tonally.

The guitar is super fun but I will need time to adjust to the neck. It is just an awkward feel from what I'm used to. I would not say it is awkward in a negative way and I'm actually starting to like it quite a bit. All of you RainSong owners out there know what I'm talking about regarding the punch and piano like clarity and quality of these guitars. I have had nothing but positive responses from those who have heard me play it how beautiful it sounds. I have never heard an OM fill a room like this Shorty. Very impressed and happy.

BTW guys, you all have good taste in guitars (those who list them anyway).
Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 AM

I would suggest trying John Pearse New Medium PBs. The two plain strings (high E and B), ply the low E string are basically medium gauge, the other strings lights. Really beefs up the tone (IMO) without increasing tension too much.

Shoreline Music (an GF sponsor) has good prices (especially if you order multiple sets), with free Shipping. Contact them for a discount code.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I thought the Elixir Poly's were the best I had found for my shorty until I tried some Martin SP's .....much much much better. good luck and enjoy.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I thought the Elixir Poly's were the best I had found for my shorty until I tried some Martin SP's .....much much much better. good luck and enjoy.
why would you say these were better? Did you just get lights or did you go with a bluegrass (medium-lights) set? I'm really not wanting to have to re-slot the nut so sticking with lights would be ideal for me I think.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I would suggest trying John Pearse New Medium PBs. The two plain strings (high E and B), ply the low E string are basically medium gauge, the other strings lights. Really beefs up the tone (IMO) without increasing tension too much.

Shoreline Music (an GF sponsor) has good prices (especially if you order multiple sets), with free Shipping. Contact them for a discount code.
Thanks Brian. One thing that I did notice with the Elixir 80/20 lights that the guitar shipped with is finger squeak. These are coated strings to boot so I would not want to add to this undesirable attribute by playing uncoated strings. I actually like coated strings anyway even though I realize that many do not. What the solution will be remains to be seen. I think the Polywebs are popular on this guitar because the have more coating than the nanos.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I don't have a shorty, but on my L13 I changed from 12s to 13s recently and found a great difference on the lower end. From now on, I think I'll only consider medium lights or just mediums. I'd probably prefer medium lights, but I'm currently using nickel strings and have only found mediums for them so far.
It would be fun to let you play my Shorty for a while while I played the L13. Seriously- if you lived in the Denver area I would consider meeting with you. Blackbirds are rarer than California Condors.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFast View Post
Congratulations on your new guitar! I love my Rainsong.
As for your string question, I'd recommend contacting Rainsong for a definitive answer. I suspect they will say it is ok but better safe than sorry.
Thank you. They are stunning instruments and the Shorty was their best seller back in 2012. I can hear why!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:52 PM

I have the poly light/medium on mine and really like the sound.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
I have the poly light/medium on mine and really like the sound.
Did you modify the nut for the 056, 045 and 035?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I had SPs on my L13 for a few days but found them excessively bright and the people around me thought so too. I play blues though and feel I need to tame the brightness you can get from carbon fibre, especially those twangs when you hit the string too hard at an angle. I find pure nickle 13s much better in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It would be fun to let you play my Shorty for a while while I played the L13. Seriously- if you lived in the Denver area I would consider meeting with you. Blackbirds are rarer than California Condors.
I'd love to, if you're ever in Barcelona on holiday

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber