The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Shorty owners: What do you think?

I'm about to turn 73. My wife and I have been playing "out," doing folky singing with guitar, fiddle and sometimes bass, at the local level, for the last 25 years or so, and are just finishing a busy summer with local gigs.

Since '05, when I acquired a Rainsong OM (the older, all-carbon-fiber model with no neck adjustment), I've used that guitar for almost all of my playing outside the house - gigs, song circles, parties, whatever. Although I have several wood guitars, a couple of them much nicer than my playing skills merit. It's just so much more rugged and dependable that wood guitars make no sense, except for playing in ideal temperature, humidity, and acoustic conditions, which we just don't do in the real world.

For the last couple of years, I've been bothered by pain in the joint at the base of my left thumb when playing, especially using barre chords. I think it's what the web medical advice pages call "basil joint arthritis." (I'm definitely left-handed, but have always played guitar right handed. When I learned, it never occurred to me that there was a choice.) I've switched to using either Newtone Heritage, or Martin FX strings, for less tension with adequate volume and "twang," and that helps some. It would also help if I did less splitting of firewood with a maul, but we need to stay warm! And less cross-country skiing, especially uphill, and less hard pole planting during downhill skiing, but I need the outdoor exercise in the winter!

The point of all of the above is, of course, that I'm looking very hard at the Rainsong Shorty models. I definitely have too many guitars, and have resolved not to acquire more. I've sold off a couple in the last year, but acquired a couple as well. I'm sure a lot of readers of this have the same character flaw. I'm interested in the idea of the unidirectional top giving a more "natural sound," but what really attracts me is the shorter scale. Not only for the decreased tension permitting less pressure on the fretting hand, but the shorter reach to the lower frets making for less bending of the wrist.

I think it might help. But I'm also afraid I may simply be trying to rationalize my instrument-buying habits.

Has anyone who's played both the long-scale and short-scale Rainsongs noticed any real difference in playing comfort? Any drawbacks to the short scale? (I'm not worried about access to the highest frets. They're a foreign country for me anyway.)

Thanks, Peter
Old 10-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Hello Peter, I have finger and thumb joint pain too, the more I play the more it hurts. To answer your question, I find the body size and scale length of the Shorty to be very comfortable and one of the main reasons i love that guitar. Hopefully you can find one to play and decide if it helps you or not. I had one of the older OM's years ago, but don't remember how they would compare comfort wise. I do know the Shorty sounds a lot better than the older one that I had. Reason enough for me! If you can afford it, why not give it a try! You may want to talk to LA Guitar sales or another experienced dealer. Good Luck!
I doubt you find many here that will try and talk you out of it!!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM

I can relate. I think you are correct about protecting your hand during your other activities. I love to flintknapp, making arrowhead reproductions out of stone. I am 63 and find my hands are much less forgiving to the shock they take hitting stone. I try to wear gloves for padding now and try not to over do. I have had both your guitar and a Parlor short scale and I am not sure the change will be significant. What will change is the neck profile, try to play the NS or N2 neck in a store and see what you think, some say the fuller neck is easier on old hands. I have found my easy hands guitar by going Cargo type short scale 22 3/4. Also I find a 1 11/16 thin neck is better for me. At this scale length you really feel the decrease in tension. Best to drive and try some options, so dependent on your style of play, and size of hands.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Hello Peter,

I am moving my modest guitar collection to all having short scale. I used to have a RainSong WS size guitar with the 25.4 inch scale, but changed it out for the RainSong Shorty.

I do notice a reduction in string tension with the Shorty's 24.875 inch scale. I also enjoy the shorter reach across frets with the Shorty's reduced scale, . . . since my hands and fingers are medium size at best.

I find the neck profile of the NS neck, as I did with the N2 neck, to be very comfortable, and results, for me, in less hand fatigue than with guitars that have noticeably thinner neck profile.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 10-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Another Shorty owner, but a young 61. I do notice it is much easier on my left hand when playing my Shorty or Taylor 522e (same 24.875" scale) compared to my 814 (25.5" scale). It also feels like there is less downward pressure needed due to the 12 fret, but that may be wishful thinking.

One other thing that might help: a couple decades ago, we started escaping the frozen northland in the winter, for the Tropical Tip of Texas. Dipping into the soft water on a paddleboard or kayak is just as much exercise but less impact than skiing on that evil frozen white stuff. We used to do that winter outdoor sports thing, until my wife said, "Take me someplace warm," one cold February in the 80s. My hands definitely prefer the warmth. Just something to consider.

Regarding the reasoning, the 522 came after the Shorty, with the realization that the small difference in scale length does make a difference to me.

Good luck with the decisions,
Captain Jim
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM

I don't have any direct experience with the Shorty (mostly for lack of seeing one in person, not for lack of interest) but my wife recently bought a CA Cargo (1-3/4" neck, 22.75" scale) and just loves it. It has a surprisingly big sound for such a small body. She likes it a lot better than the Rainsong WS-1000 we've had for years. That was originally hers, but has become mine.

I feel your pain. Somewhere around age 50 my left hand suddenly decided that it really hated Martin 1-11/16" necks. All of my guitars are now 1-3/4" or even a touch wider. I can play a Martin for 20-30 minutes and my hand aches all day, but can play any of my Taylors or either Rainsong for hours without pain. Go figure. Just keep trying things until you find the right combo for your hands.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Lastly on a easy hands guitar is setup. My easy hands guitar has just about a flat neck truss rod adjustment and a saddle that gives me 5/64 on the low E at the 12th. I dialed in the exact same setup on my Rainsong Jumbo, the Shorty with the truss rod with give you that same precision. The 5/64 with the 22 3/4 scales is as easy as it gets. I think I could go to medium strings, which I will try sooner or later but for now like the ease.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Shorty owners: What do you think?

The shorty is not a 22 and 3/4 scale......

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 PM

In all honesty I can't feel a difference between standard scale and short scale. Because of the 12-frett design and slightly shorter scale it is a shorter reach, and that may help a bit with my left shoulder, but I certainly can't feel any tension difference in my fretting hand.

The Shorty has the N2 neck. This may be a more comfortable shape than on your OM if your OM is old enough to have the N1 neck.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber