The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM

Default Is 60% humidity too much?

This is a pretty short question, I live in West Virginia, and ever since I got my solid wood guitars, I'v been watching the humidity. It hasn't gotten below 40% where they're stored, but alot of times its right at 60%. I haven't seen it go over that range yet, but my humidity guage might be off by at most four letters, possibly higher.

Should I buy a dehumidifier and take the humidity down to 50%? I'v been checking for the signs of a damp guitar, and so far, they act fine, but I dont want to take any chances.

Thanks for your alls opinion!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 PM

just to be safe, i'd buy a dehumidifier
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 AM

Most humidity problems occur due to too little humidity, not too much. Between 40% and 60% is a good target, and a little higher shouldn't be a problem. Winter is usually a time when low humidity is a problem due to indoor heating. Consider yourself lucky that you don't have to add humidity at your latitude this time of year.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC
Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbs View Post
Most humidity problems occur due to too little humidity, not too much.
I agree. Higher humidity than was present in the environment the guitar was assembled in might cause unwanted variation in the guitar's action as the top takes on more of an arch, but it most definitely won't contribute to cracking.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 AM

I live in South Florida and my humidity range is usually between 50 & 60%. 60% is not a problem for me, or my guitars, but things start to get a little "tone-muddy" above 65%. I usually turn on the AC to bring it down when it gets to be above 70% for more than a day.

As I write this, I'm at 62% in my house (100% outside); but a front is passing today that will bring drier air so I'll leave everything as is.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary0319 View Post
I live in South Florida and my humidity range is usually between 50 & 60%. 60% is not a problem for me, or my guitars, but things start to get a little "tone-muddy" above 65%. I usually turn on the AC to bring it down when it gets to be above 70% for more than a day.

As I write this, I'm at 62% in my house (100% outside); but a front is passing today that will bring drier air so I'll leave everything as is.

Gary
That is what I've found with higher humidity conditions, things might muddy up a little.

I'd say humidity swings are more detrimental than a constant (either high or low) reading. Within reason that is... not below 35% or above 75% or so.

Also keep in mind it takes a while for wood to take on or lose moisture. If things are at 60% for a long time and one day is at 70%, the guitar is most likely not going to jump up to 70%. If it stays 70% for a few days, it might be a problem.

I live in Baltimore. During the summers, we can get week long stretches of 80% and higher. The only humidity related problem I have ever had was a dry crack one winter. I no longer worry about high humidity but I have room and case humidifiers.

Ed
Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 AM

I prefer the sound of my guitars when it's below 60% ... when it gets into that 55-60% range, it's not as crisp ... so I dehumidify. In winter 50-55% is good, as I feel like the moisture is starting to get sapped out of my skin below that. During the rest of the year, I like it a little drier, 45-50%. I almost never need to humidify, but I do have a humidifier that kicks in at 40% if necessary.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I see 60%+ where I live fairly often. In my studio I use a dehumidifier to control humidity at 50% or slightly below. But the guitars I keep in the house when exposed to 60% humidity have not had any problems. I think they sound a little better when slightly drier (at, say 50%). If you can keep guitars between 40-60% RH, you'll be OK based on my experience and what I have read.

Regards, Glenn
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Down here it's hard to keep the humidity below 60-70% in the winter when a front comes through. It's too cold to turn on the A/C and the heater doesn't run long enough to drop it sufficiently. Here we rarely worry about low humidity even in winter except for a very few days a year.

Oddly enough, in the summer with high humidity, the house is closer to 50% because the A/C runs almost 24/7.

But to answer your question anywhere between 35%-70% really doesn't bother me. You can tell the difference in playability when the humidity gets real high but that's about it.

High humidity and high temperature would be the only thing I would worry about, and even then it would have to be over an extend period not an overnight thing.

When my A/C died last summer with 90+deg and about the same humidity, I packed up the guitars and had my neighbor hold them for a few days, till my new unit was put in.

P.S. I've got a 30 year old guitar that never had any humidity manipulation and looks just fine so far.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM

60% will keep your guitars just fine. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Runs around 60% here...no problem.
Here is a link to Kevin Ryan's guitar/humidity chart;
http://www.ryanguitars.com/NewsandEv...dity_Chart.htm

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Ok, thanks guys! Now that you mention it, I might see if I can get one, just so they dont get "muddy" sounding. I'm relieved to hear that they should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy27 View Post

High humidity and high temperature would be the only thing I would worry about, and even then it would have to be over an extend period not an overnight thing.
I'v heard that too, about temperature making your guitar less flexible. I usually keep my room around 70, give or take, but sometimes at night I let it get to 65 at the minimun. Think I should leave my heater on at night to keep it a little warmer?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzam12 View Post
I'v heard that too, about temperature making your guitar less flexible. I usually keep my room around 70, give or take, but sometimes at night I let it get to 65 at the minimun. Think I should leave my heater on at night to keep it a little warmer?
Gets down to the low 50's in my house at night.
No problems.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Gets down to the low 50's in my house at night.
No problems.
I'm sure my guitars would be fine at "low 50's" but my old body would give out, I believe.

Brrrrrr
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion