The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-10-2023, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Default nails and typing

Well... I am here to kvetch (for lack of anything better to do). I have grown out the nails on my right hand. And ever since, my typing accuracy has tanked. I do a lot of writing for my job. The errors are mildly annoying, sometimes a little more than mildly, depending on how long I've been at it and what kind of a deadline I'm staring down. Between my errors, and autocorrect, it can become hilarious, in a dark way. LOL Anyone else notice this?
Old 08-11-2023, 03:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I noticed it at first, but as I've had nails for around twenty-five years, I no longer find that might right hand is behind my left.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-11-2023, 05:55 AM

The worst thing I've noticed is that all the letters on the right side of the keyboard are worn off due to my nails - ugh!!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-11-2023, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Another good argument for playing without nails!

Even as a lefty playing righty, so the nails are on my non-dominant hand, I found them getting in the way of everything, frequently broken or burred and hard to maintain.

Since I am a beginner and a hack, it wasn’t worth it at all and a figured I would just learn from early on playing with flesh.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:39 AM

While to each their own, your nails shouldn't be so long that they impede basic function. Most players aren't growing their nails much beyond the tip of their finger just to clear it. Really the best tone on nylon is to strike about where the flesh and nail meet. It really shouldn't just be all nail tip on the string.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I never learnt to type, but I used to work for IBM and one day I found a "monitor (3277), a very heavy metal cased keyboard and a "mouse" taking up most of my desk.

My life changed - and with no formal instruction, I started to use the contraption.
I am left haded but do most things , including playing guitar right handed (long story).

I often see young women following the current fashion for ridiculously long (false?) finger nails (I think they look ridiculous) but they seem to be able to type (I should say "keyboard" as if it were a verb) very efficiently.

I believe that they adapt their style to hitting the keys with the flat of the finger rather than with the finger tip ?

Unnecessary info: I was once told that pianists used fingertips, and organists the flat of the finger - am dat so?)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingsea View Post
While to each their own, your nails shouldn't be so long that they impede basic function. Most players aren't growing their nails much beyond the tip of their finger just to clear it. Really the best tone on nylon is to strike about where the flesh and nail meet. It really shouldn't just be all nail tip on the string.
Yes, I think they need to be a bit shorter. Thanks
Old 08-11-2023, 03:24 PM

aLaska PiKs.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:09 PM

I also play with a flat pick and my nails need to be short enough for that to still work properly. This forces a compromise.

But anyway, yes, my right hand typing accuracy is ratjer [oor.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:52 PM

I use my hands for too many other applications - carpentry, plumbing, wiring, wrenching on engines, working on bikes, gardening, chores to cultivate fingernails. I can't and don't want to maintain long fingernails.

I prefer the sound of my fingertip flesh on steel strings to the sound of fingernails or finger picks.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a little bit of nail now so I'm flattening my fingers a bit before I strike a key, otherwise it's a bit annoying.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical