The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-08-2023, 06:24 AM

Default Godin Multiac SA users

I had one years back, stupidly traded it away, then went through 2 or 3 returns (trying to save money on used at GC) until I finally bought a good one (blem) from a Reverb vendor.

Love the neck on these guitars, it's a keeper. I am running it into a Fishman mini through an Art tube pre, and it seems like that tames the 'plasticy' sound in the highs people sometimes hear (I do, it is my only complaint, the bass sounds incredible). Running it through my fire-eye pre seems to do pretty much the same.

I want to get it to the next level, like the Buster B. Jones Jerry Reed tutorial dvd. Yes I know it is in the hands. Has anyone tried any kind of compression pedal with their Multiac SA. Intuitively I feel like that might be the next (last?) step, I don't mind investing.

Thanks for any thoughts!!!
Old 07-12-2023, 05:26 AM

This one has the newer Baggs electronics as opposed to the older RMC's. Not much difference to my ear, but maybe like the Baggs slightly better. Would some kind of LR Baggs pedal be appropriate with these pickups? I'm mostly looking for a sweeter high-end...
Old 07-12-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I have an A6 Ultra that I love!! Perfect for gigs on a loud stage.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:47 PM

Hi Dory-

I used a Multiac as my main guitar for about 20 years, mostly jazz and fusion type stuff.
I've used a couple of different muti-effect pedals (Boss and Zoom)
so I know from experience that the Multiac responds well to any effect you care to try.
Point is you don't need to worry about which compressor will work-
It's definitely more about what you like than what the guitar likes.
Any compressor or pre-amp will do the job.

One hint I'll give you though is to get an eq pedal. The usual Boss EQ works well.
This will help with the annoying "quack" that all piezo type picks ups produce.
You want to cut the upper mids- Anywhere from 1.5 to 3k depending on your equipment.

I'm happy to answer any question you might have about your Godin.
It's a well made and unique guitar.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I had one for a long time. I wasn’t using the synth anymore and I have an ACS to cover synth just in case, so I sold it to a buddy and bought a Multiac Ambiance Steel. It lets you blend in one of four sims of mic’d guitars. It sounds quite a bit more natural out front than the SA did. Still has some similar quirks but it’s a bit closer to “real”. I use a TC Play Acoustic so I add just a bit of BodyRez also. I use some compression in the TC and have a separate pedal I use sometimes for lead when I want a bit more of a Monty Montgomery kind of sound. It’s a pretty generic compressor pedal.

The inherent nasality of the guitars is the challenge, they can sound banjo-ish. There are so many outboard devices now that help you get a more natural sound, but many (like the Tonedexter) begin with the sound of your guitar and in the case of the Multiac you kind of need to alter it if you want a convincing acoustic voice. So devices with some shaping help. I’ve never used an Aura system but it’s a thought.

They are very nice instruments with their own niche.
Huss & Dalton CM Custom (thin body)
A whole lot more, trapping way too much money

Last edited by xjojox; 07-13-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:38 AM

Thanks for these great thoughts so far. Yes, the Multiac SA in the trebles is the kind of sound I don't want to exactly replicate, but more enhance. I haven't tried the Aura though that sounds like a good idea. Any other options? I thought about an optical compressor... or a Boss RV6 reverb and search for a setting that enhanced the high end.... thanks for any (more) thoughts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical