The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Default New Capos - NS Pro, NS Lite, Shubb Deluxe ... Comparisions (with pics)

Hey All. Last month I received my Shubb Deluxe capo from Strings & Beyond. Today I received the Planet Waves NS Pro and NS Lite. The NS Lite is based on the NS Pro but weights less (more of a plastic material) and is less expensive. I really just wanted to show the two NS capos but figured I'd throw in the Shubb for visual comparisons.

I only tried the NS capos on a couple of guitars (I'll try it out on my Taylor custom BTO later this week-end). Nice. I really couldn't tell any differences between the two ... perhaps after some wear and tear the NS Pro will hold up better. I find the Shubb slightly more comfortable for my index finger on the fretboard side of the high E string when playing in the 1st position.

Weights (All capos were positioned directly on the center of the digital food scale):
NS Lite: 17 grams
NS Pro: 23 grams
Shubb: 46 grams

Compare the NS Lite (red text on left) and NS Pro:

The NS Lite (on left) actually has a wider arm than the Pro:

Comparison of all 3:

Who else has compared the NS Lite and NS Pro?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Dru, have you looked at the twelve string version of the shubb -its a bit longer and i think easier to use than the standard shubb .

Im kinda set in my ways -ive tried alot of these fancy smacy capos but always seem to come back to the shubb or the old fashioned dunlop strap capo .
I like how the 12 string shubb works on my OM -its nice to have a bit more length .
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Dru, have you looked at the twelve string version of the shubb -its a bit longer and i think easier to use than the standard shubb .

Im kinda set in my ways -ive tried alot of these fancy smacy capos but always seem to come back to the shubb or the old fashioned dunlop strap capo .
I like how the 12 string shubb works on my OM -its nice to have a bit more length .
I haven't tried the 12 string Shubb at all. Currently, I like the Shubb Deluxe I'm using the best. It does fit my 1 3/4" nut guitars, although there isn't a lot of wiggle room on the length. Thanks for the tip, Tony.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey All. Last month I received my Shubb Deluxe capo from Strings & Beyond. Today I received the Planet Waves NS Pro and NS Lite. The NS Lite is based on the NS Pro but weights less (more of a plastic material) and is less expensive.
Hi Dru...

I cut my own capos, and the Planet Waves Lite capos are useless for that because they are made of plastic instead of aluminum. And they are only $2 less than the aluminum model. I've never had one marked Pro - hope that is not a marketing tool to ratchet up the price. I usually buy and cut half dozen capos a year for friends or students.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM

This is weird...I actually have all 3 of these in my cart at S&B right now and can't make up my mind.

Any thoughts on them other than how much they all weigh?

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyD View Post
This is weird...I actually have all 3 of these in my cart at S&B right now and can't make up my mind.

Weights are listed in the OP.

NS Lite: 17 grams
NS Pro: 23 grams
Shubb: 46 grams
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyD View Post

Hi Dusty

The Planet Waves NS (aluminum) is one of the best all around capos out there. It works well, is more quickly adjustable than the Shubb. I like the radius of it's upper bumper better.

I own both, and the NS is my go-to capo when I'm gigging with friends, or jamming. Light, fits in the pocket, and doesn't dampen the strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dusty

The Planet Waves NS (aluminum) is one of the best all around capos out there. It works well, is more quickly adjustable than the Shubb. I like the radius of it's upper bumper better.

I own both, and the NS is my go-to capo when I'm gigging with friends, or jamming. Light, fits in the pocket, and doesn't dampen the strings.

Thank-you! I already have the Standard Shubb and a Paige but was looking for something a little different to try. I really like how small it looks. I'll probably give it a try.

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM

Default New Capos - NS Pro, NS Lite, Shubb Deluxe ... Comparisions (with pics)

I just purchased the Shubb 12 string model and the NS to compare to the standard 6 string Shubb I have.

The 6 string Shubb is not quite comfortably wide enough for a 1.75 neck.

Last edited by michaeljohnr; 01-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Hi Dru...

I cut my own capos, and the Planet Waves Lite capos are useless for that because they are made of plastic instead of aluminum. And they are only $2 less than the aluminum model. I've never had one marked Pro - hope that is not a marketing tool to ratchet up the price. I usually buy and cut half dozen capos a year for friends or students.

Hi Larry. I paid $9 ($9.99 - 10% off) for the Lite so I figured I'd try it out just to compare against the Pro. I wonder if Planet Waves is marking the "Aluminum" as "Pro" now just to differentiate it from the Lite? When I ordered, I thought the "Pro" was the NS Capo everyone was discussing here. My order form states "Planet Waves Ned Steinberger Design Screw Capo". ($15.99 - 10% off).
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Larry. I paid $9 ($9.99 - 10% off) for the Lite so I figured I'd try it out just to compare against the Pro. I wonder if Planet Waves is marking the "Aluminum" as "Pro" now just to differentiate it from the Lite? When I ordered, I thought the "Pro" was the NS Capo everyone was discussing here. My order form states "Planet Waves Ned Steinberger Design Screw Capo". ($15.99 - 10% off).
Hi Dru...

Amazon has Planet Waves in aluminum for $12.50 or less all the time. Your Steinberger Design Screw Capo probably is the same as the Pro is the same as the aluminum.

I watch for them to go on sale for $11.50 or so and get 3 or 4.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Hi Dru...

Amazon has Planet Waves in aluminum for $12.50 or less all the time. Your Steinberger Design Screw Capo probably is the same as the Pro is the same as the aluminum.

I watch for them to go on sale for $11.50 or so and get 3 or 4.

Thanks Larry. I just read the capo package (wrapper) and it stated aluminum. Amazon.com is great but up here in Canada I'd pay more for shipping/etc (free shipping from Strings and Beyond USPS no brokerage fees) and Amazon.ca doesn't stock them.

Edit: I just checked Amazon.ca and they have the "Lite" capo for $19.99 ... ouch, that is expensive. No "Pro".
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Interesting post, Dru... The recent NS capos I have purchased have been called "Pro". They are aluminum.

For me, the key to making the NS capos work well without undue damping is locating them very close to the fret wire.

I have so many different capos, it's ridiculous. The truth is, when you learn how to use each one, they all work pretty well. As Larry has commented the curvature of the capo bar and how it fits your particular guitar fretboard has a lot to do with how the capo works and particularly with intonation issues. I tend to like bumpers made of harder, more resilient elastomers because they help maintain sustain more reliably, but much of that can be mitigated by placing the capo very close to the fret wire.

- Glenn
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Dru, thanks for the timely post. I have one of the Jim Dunlop acoustic trigger capos - the gold one shown below - but I feel like it doesn't provide enough downward pressure on the strings on my acoustic. Particularly the bass strings resonate way more without the capo than with.

I was going to order the Shubb deluxe from stringsandbeyond (yah free shipping to Canada!) but I'm going to take a closer look at the Planet Waves NS one now.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
Dru, thanks for the timely post. I have one of the Jim Dunlop acoustic trigger capos - the gold one shown below - but I feel like it doesn't provide enough downward pressure on the strings on my acoustic. Particularly the bass strings resonate way more without the capo than with.

I was going to order the Shubb deluxe from stringsandbeyond (yah free shipping to Canada!) but I'm going to take a closer look at the Planet Waves NS one now.

Order both and see which one works best for you! This way you never second guess your choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion