The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I see you have narrowed it down, but, I feel like I need to 2nd the Fishman 330. I have gigged with the Fishman 220 for years and get nothing but unsolicited compliments. For what I do, solo voice & guitar) I have not heard anything I like better and it ultimately portable and comes with all one would need in terms of EQ, reverb, anti-feedback, ground lift, etc in one unit.

Also, with the introduction of the 330, there are lots of GREAT deals on 220s out there.

Best of luck,
Steve
Totally agree with you, Steve -- depending on what the OP is trying to accomplish. Which is not clear to me. But in your situation, I bet the Fishstick is an excellent choice.

Joe
Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInOttawa View Post
Totally agree with you, Steve -- depending on what the OP is trying to accomplish. Which is not clear to me. But in your situation, I bet the Fishstick is an excellent choice.

Joe
Initial thread ...
Will be using as mains and monitoring. Routing acoustic guitar and Vx's through a TC Helicon VL3X.

Had a 220 years ago. They sound good but lack in bass for tracks. The stand sits too wide for some venues I play at.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss38 View Post
Initial thread ...
Will be using as mains and monitoring. Routing acoustic guitar and Vx's through a TC Helicon VL3X.

Had a 220 years ago. They sound good but lack in bass for tracks. The stand sits too wide for some venues I play at.
I know you have eliminated the Fishman but if more bass and the stand are an issue, for an extra $569 you can get the sub which also doubles as a stand for the upper unit of the SA330, reducing the footprint and adding a 300 watt subwoofer.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
I know you have eliminated the Fishman but if more bass and the stand are an issue, for an extra $569 you can get the sub which also doubles as a stand for the upper unit of the SA330, reducing the footprint and adding a 300 watt subwoofer.
That just became a ton of money...
Old 03-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
That just became a ton of money...
If that's a ton of money, I made a ton of money last Friday and Saturday with my Fishman and my guitar. Granted the Turbosound and the Maui are great values and more powerful. They are heavier and require a mixer to get to where the Fishman is from the factory. I play solo most of the time and the Fishman would also require a mixer if more folks are playing,The Fishman has customer support that is unsurpassed. Bose stand behind their stuff too. They are reliable, flexible, and a breeze to set up and tear down. I play for money and I need reliability. A failure at a gig or a problem not quickly resolved will cost me plenty. How fast can those German units be repaired or replaced?

I have played out for many years and all these units are cheap! I bought a Yamaha powered mixer in 1989 that was $1200. My speakers cost $500+ apiece back then, and inflation has made the money I spent back then seem like a ton of money.

These new Sticks are great compared to what I used in the past and they are cheap compared to the old days. it's great to have all the options that we do now!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
If that's a ton of money, I made a ton of money last Friday and Saturday
The Fishman 330x is $1000, the sub is $550. Two thoughts:

1 - That's about $600 more than the Maui 11 G2.
2 - If you made $1600 in two nights at gigs small enough to play them with a Fish Stick, I need to move to where you live.

Joe
Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:

2 - If you made $1600 in two nights at gigs small enough to play them with a Fish Stick, I need to move to where you live.

Joe

Exactly! The Maui has a great sub. I love the small footprint also. I sometimes have to setup in a small space. Never an issue.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Fishman 330 or the new EV?
Martin J40
Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 PM

I've decided on the Maui 11 G2.

in no particular order ...

1. The subs 3x6.5" drivers will work right fine. (I enjoy playing in DADGAD or just drop D)
2. Foot print is pretty small
3. Overall performance to price point
4. Price point. $760.00 shipped from MF (today)
%. German engineering (after my dieselgate Jetta fiasco). I'll give 'em one
more shot.
6. Bluetooth

Thank you for all the input. Film at 11
Old 03-14-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss38 View Post
I've decided on the Maui 11 G2.

in no particular order ...

1. The subs 3x6.5" drivers will work right fine. (I enjoy playing in DADGAD or just drop D)
2. Foot print is pretty small
3. Overall performance to price point
4. Price point. $760.00 shipped from MF (today)
%. German engineering (after my dieselgate Jetta fiasco). I'll give 'em one
more shot.
6. Bluetooth

Thank you for all the input. Film at 11

$760? Wow, great price. Is that a Deal of the Day? I see $899 on their site.

I'm confident you'll be happy. Those 3x6.5" speakers do a good job. I run our bass player, my acoustic and three vocals through it and it sounds fantastic.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
$760? Wow, great price. Is that a Deal of the Day? I see $899 on their site.

I'm confident you'll be happy. Those 3x6.5" speakers do a good job. I run our bass player, my acoustic and three vocals through it and it sounds fantastic.
15% off right now on many items. I called and spoke to sales.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Joe
I was referring to the extra $569, the difference in price between the units, not the total price. Are they giving away those Mauis for free? Also I often use my Fishstick as a monitor and tailor my sound to my liking, then with the integrated mixer, send the signal to the house P.A.

Personally, I have found that the cheapest purchase price is not always cheapest in the long run. Customer service, reliability, and ease of repair are worth a lot to a musician who gigs a lot!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the extra $569, the difference in price between the units, not the total price. Are they giving away those Mauis for free? Also I often use my Fishstick as a monitor and tailor my sound to my liking, then with the integrated mixer, send the signal to the house P.A.

Personally, I have found that the cheapest purchase price is not always cheapest in the long run. Customer service, reliability, and ease of repair are worth a lot to a musician who gigs a lot!
I will let you know if I feel that the extra $300 I spent on the Maui 11 G2 versus a used 220 was money well spent.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the extra $569, the difference in price between the units, not the total price. Are they giving away those Mauis for free? ...Personally, I have found that the cheapest purchase price is not always cheapest in the long run. Customer service, reliability, and ease of repair are worth a lot to a musician who gigs a lot!

My apologies. You said Fishstick and sub, and you made more than that this past weekend. So that was the basis of my comment. I think I also mentioned the $600 difference, but no matter...

I agree with you: Cheap is sometimes exactly that, cheap. But going into my purchase a couple of years ago, all I knew about Fishman was that lots of people had put down money on the new model, and had heard nothing for literally months (there are multiple threads about that here on the forum), and I knew almost nothing about LD's North American reputation. Lucky for me, I've found LD very forthcoming with help and information, although I have no experience with their service (haven't needed it).

Honestly, I was going to need a mixer no matter what, and the LD ends up being smaller, easier (no stands!) and more robust than the Fishstick, and also better suited to my needs, so even at the same price (no $600 differential) I'd have still gone with the LDs, myself.

Of course, and as usual, your mileage may vary, depending on what you're actually doing with the system.

Joe
Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Hey all ~

Just want to chime back to say that I am thrilled with the Maui 11 G2. Crystal clear with lush, tight bass. PLENTY of headroom. Very articulate sound reproduction.
Bluetooth works flawless. I'm hearing things in music playback that I've never heard before. For live play I am using a Voicelive3 with a Heil PR35 mic for vx's and Larravee LV09e acoustic.

Great value and would purchase again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification