The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-31-2017, 05:08 PM

Default Exploring the *back* half of the neck

I started out playing a lot of thumb over bass F chord and thumb over bass D7 chord blues songs, but recently for fingerstyle am discovering the joy of that untraveled back half of the neck for thumb position.

Going back behind the center of the neck with the thumb places the fingers even more vertically, making it even easier to fret the strings and sound chords cleanly and it seems to put less stress on my elbow.

Only recently that I ever tried this much less find success with it. Anyone else?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
I started out playing a lot of thumb over bass F chord and thumb over bass D7 chord blues songs, but recently for fingerstyle am discovering the joy of that untraveled back half of the neck for thumb position.

Going back behind the center of the neck with the thumb places the fingers even more vertically, making it even easier to fret the strings and sound chords cleanly and it seems to put less stress on my elbow.

Only recently that I ever tried this much less find success with it. Anyone else?
Hi AB
Two things as a teacher I personally learned and teach are to glide the thumb behind the neck when you can, and elevate the headstock to between chin and nose high.

Both these created a much more relaxed fretting hand style for me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-31-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Thumb behind the neck is standard for most people though using various thumb positions is fine also. Watch some classical guitar youtubes to see what those guitarists normally do when playing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 AM

I find myself on very rare occasions playing that thumb-wrap F, but not a lot. I like to float my hand, particularly when playing single note runs between chords. Often my thumb isn't actually touching the neck at all, I am floating my left hand. For some chords my thumb finds itself on the middle of the back, but when I am running down II-V's (Cm7 - F9 at the 8th fret, for example) my thumb is stuck up in the air and I am anchoring at the fleshy base of my index finger. The key is to free up and relax your fingers, since they are doing the work and your thumb is just along as a supporting act...
Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
You just discovered what all classical players are taught on the first day. (To be fair, it matters more for classical because the neck is wider.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write