The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM

Default Emerald X20 neck

After nearly two years with my Emerald X20...I still haven't adjusted to the neck. I went from a Larrivee L-03R that felt right and was very comfortable for me to play to the Emerald. I noticed that I had to apply more pressure to fret chords than what I was used to on the Larrivee and I find myself only playing it for short periods. I just thought it would take some time to get used to. Still hasn't happened. Played a Lowden O23 a few weeks back and it was immediately more comfortable to my left hand and reminded me somewhat of the Larrivee I used to have.

Anyways, I absolutely love the tone and looks of my Emerald...but my left hand isn't happy with it. I guess I should mention that I have had surgery on my left thumb and it definitely isn't as strong as it should be. I'm just now trying to do some research so I can figure out if I need to custom order an Emerald with some changes to the neck or move to a different guitar altogether. Anyone with experience with an Emerald, Larrivee (and/or Lowden)...are the necks beefier on the Larrivee and Lowden compared to the Emerald? What about the frets? It seems like the frets were taller on the Larrivee, but I just didn't think to do a direct comparison when I had the chance.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 PM

My first question is: has your guitar been set up to your preferences by a GOOD tech who listens to what you want? That can make all the difference. From your description, the strings may be too high at the nut slots for you.

Neck comfort is a complex combination of neck shape, fret board radius, set-up, scale length, nut width, string gauge, and even things like the degree of corner / radius at the fret board edge (if you thumb over). It gets even more complicated when you are dealing with left hand issues - I'm there too. I like Larrivee guitars, but don't currently own one. Staying in the carbon fiber world, is it feasible for you to try a Rainsong or CA or a Blackbird? I don't know how amenable Emerald is to different neck profiles - maybe they could try to duplicate your Larrivee neck....
Old 01-02-2017, 05:05 PM

I believe Alistair can do anything with the neck shape/thickness that you desire. I have a custom X7 on order, and asked for a Ryan-style thin shape, and it's in the queue. In spring when it arrives I'll gladly report on the outcome.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM

As Earl49 pointed out, your Emerald may need to be set up properly to your playing preferences. I've owned/played Larrivees over the years and I currently own an Opus X20. I find the Emerald to be very easy to play—at least as easy on my hands as my Larrivees were. I'm not sure what the fretboard radius spec is on the Emerald, but I believe the Larrivee is 16" and may feel feel flatter than the Opus. If you haven't had the guitar set up, do so before giving up on the guitar.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 AM

I'm planning to take it to a good tech sometime soon just to see what they say, but I don't think the strings can go any lower at the nut and I'm pretty convinced that the neck just isn't beefy enough for me. I would also prefer some taller frets. They have a lot of high end acoustics where I plan to take the Emerald, so I can do a little playing around to find that right fit.

I'm not planning to get rid of the Emerald, but I want to figure out what works best for me when it comes to neck profile, fret size, and scale. The Emerald will at least be the go-to guitar when hitting the road and going to the beach or playing outside. I'm actually putting up my PRS SC245 for sale locally along with my Mesa Express 5:50+ amp (love them, but I'm an acoustic guy) in order to buy "the one". That could mean a custom Emerald or a wood guitar to go along with the Emerald I have.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
I'm not sure what the fretboard radius spec is on the Emerald, but I believe the Larrivee is 16" and may feel feel flatter than the Opus.
Larrivee guitars have a compound fretboard radius from 16 inches at the nut to 21 inches at the soundhole end.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber