The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-19-2016, 11:55 PM

Default Guy Clark - The Guitar

Words fail here. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxOego2Sso

Cheers from Alberta, Canada
Old 12-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Yup... just a classic "ghost story"-type of tune! Guy Clark is/was a National Treasure, and it's a shame that more folks didn't recognize that before he passed from this plane of existence...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Pretty sure Guy made the guitar he is playing.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Guy Clark is one of my greatest musical heroes.

For me he epitomises the aesthetic aspect of Texas singer-songwriters story tellers.

Guy wasn't the greatest singer nor was he the most gifted of guitarists, but he wrote and performed wonderful songs.

I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting him twice - the first time was at a modest venue in London and after the gig, we met up and he let me play his Heiden Jumbo.

Some time Later I was rambling around at a large British folk festival, unwashed (rough camping) wearing a scruffy pair of shorts and flip-flops, when I found my self face to face (well face to chest - he was a big guy), and he stopped, shook my hand (big hands too) and chatted fr some time. He seemed surprised that people knew him and appreciated his music and seemed genuinely tickled when I told him which of his songs I performed. He was a real gentleman.

The third time he came to the UK I had two front row tickets but sadly they were empty that night as I was in hospital having a heart op.

His recording methods were surprisingly casual, but very effective, and he was great at finding the right musicians to play with him, not least Verlon (Dam') Thompson, who was his sideman for many years.

I used to be a member of a "Yahoo list" called Friends of Guy Clark -and we made collection albums - and my recordings were always included.
Someone gave Guy a copy and he gave us permission to record covers of his songs. Later I got a signed copy of his "The Dark" plus some other unreleased stuff.

Few knew that despite suffering from ill health fr some time, he also cared for his wife Susannah who had Alzheimer's for some years.

All,(I think) of his albums had one Townes Van Zandt song as a mark of respect for his old friend and his family.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Pretty sure Guy made the guitar he is playing.
Yeah, he made a few guitars - 000 models I think - gave most of them away.

He worked in the Dobro factory for a while in the '70s.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

This song started as "class project" in one of Guy's songwriting classes. A friend came up the "name on the case" idea. With all the input, however, he never did anything without a lot of thought and tweaking. I believe the end result was Guy & Verlon.

A good example of his fine-tuning was the first song he wrote- "Step Inside this House Girl" which he didn't record for a long time because he felt it "unfinished". Guy even said he would shutter a bit at his good friend Lyle Lovett's version. Lyle often said it's a song he always wish he had written.

If you love his music and haven't heard about this yet... a great Christmas present for yourself. It's his biography written by Tamara Saviano with Guy's blessing and input. She did a fabulous job. $16/22 softcover/hard, it's a deal!

https://www.amazon.com/Without-Getti.../dp/1623494540

Guy LOVED to cowrite. I thought it was a once-in-while thing, but he did it often. He was very generous and would go out of his way to promote talented people.

As most have said above, he wrote tremendous songs and that smooth delivery of his with Verlon's accompaniment was all ya needed.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Default Singer/Songwriters like Guy Clark

(even though technically he was an issue of one) are why the rest of the world should forgive Texas for some of the other folks we've sent your way. Stevie Ray and Willie and a thousand other ones balances out the rest.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 12-24-2016, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
(even though technically he was an issue of one) are why the rest of the world should forgive Texas for some of the other folks we've sent your way. Stevie Ray and Willie and a thousand other ones balances out the rest.
Hi VT,

Texas singer-songwriters became my "thing" in ther '70s on, and whilst Guy will always be the top of the Mesquite tree, ther are other names that deserve recognition :

Townes (of course),
Steve Earle,
Robert Earle KIng
Rodney Crowell
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Billy Joe Shaver
Blaze Foley
Bob Cheevers
Brian Burns
Bruce Robison
Buddy Mondlock
Butch Hancock
David Byboth
Hayes Carll
Jeff Plankenhorn
Jim Bush
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Jimmie La Fave
Joe Ely
Jon Randall
Kris Kristoferson
Kimmie Rhodes
Lucinda Williams
Lyle Lovett
Michael Fracasso
Michel Shocked
Mickey Newbury
Nanci Griffiths
Steve Fromholz
Terry Allen
Terry Hendrix
Tom Russell
Rex Bell,
........ and my old friend Vince Bell
Old 12-24-2016, 07:21 AM

Default I've seen a few of those

...including Nanci Griffiths at Austin City Limits, Steve Earle at an anti-war protest in DC, Ray Wylie back in the day ('73?). I've been to the late Steve Fromholz's house in Austin to record a TV spot with him back when I worked at KLRN, Terri Hendrix, who I saw at the Kerrville Folk Festival a couple of years back with Natalie Maines' dad Lloyd.

But I think the one who takes the cake is Joe Ely, who I saw in a hardcore club in San Angelo. Great first set, and then his band started up the second set without him onstage with a pounding beat. Hearing unmistakable clip-clop horse hoof sounds, I turned to see him ride into the club on horseback. The horse stepped out to the middle of the dance floor, dancers scattering, then reared up. Ely fell off the back of the horse, got up, jumped the white picket fence at the front of the stage, and started singing. Legendary.

Unfortunately, I was out of film by then and missed it, but here's a shot from earlier. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jadina...-5hH71b-5hH6iN
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi VT,

Texas singer-songwriters became my "thing" in ther '70s on, and whilst Guy will always be the top of the Mesquite tree, ther are other names that deserve recognition :

Townes (of course),
Steve Earle,
Robert Earle KIng
Rodney Crowell
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Billy Joe Shaver
Blaze Foley
Bob Cheevers
Brian Burns
Bruce Robison
Buddy Mondlock
Butch Hancock
David Byboth
Hayes Carll
Jeff Plankenhorn
Jim Bush
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Jimmie La Fave
Joe Ely
Jon Randall
Kris Kristoferson
Kimmie Rhodes
Lucinda Williams
Lyle Lovett
Michael Fracasso
Michel Shocked
Mickey Newbury
Nanci Griffiths
Steve Fromholz
Terry Allen
Terry Hendrix
Tom Russell
Rex Bell,
........ and my old friend Vince Bell
Said Cleaves
Darden Smith
Radney Foster ...

+1 on the new bio. Susannah Clark just gave up on life after TVZ died.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-24-2016, 07:50 AM

Default And one more we missed

James McMurtry, who's dad wrote LONESOME DOVE, but he wrote WE CAN'T MAKE IT HERE ANYMORE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbWRfBZY-ng
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell