The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Emerald Gigbags

For those of you with the latest Emerald gigbags, please comment on their quality, sizing, durability and accesssories storage. Are they very form-fitting to the various guitar models? I assume they now are, but I ask because the gigbag that originally came with my Chimaera was about 6" too long at the headstock and an overall loose fit, so I have since obtained Emerald's hard shell case designed for the Chimaera...nice case.

When I've travelled back and forth by air between my home in Canada and winter home in Florida, I have shipped my Chimaera as checked baggage in its hard shell case all enclosed in the box the case came in. My understanding is that Emerald now has a form-fitting gigbag for the Chimaera and based on the quality you all are finding with their gigbags, I'm considering ordering one, but wondering if they are considered durable enough to ship my Chimaera in the gigbag and in a box, with extra padding in the box if required. Thoughts?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Can't speak to the Chimaera gig bag, but the one my X7 came in is very nice; definitely fit to the size of the guitar. A good fit, nice protection. There is some storage on the front of the bag, but I use it just for small stuff (capo, picks, an extra set of strings, a cleaning cloth) - it would certainly hold more than that.

I was not a gig bag appreciating kinda guy until I bought a Taylor GSmini shortly after they first came out. That gig bag changed my opinion of gig bags, and I now appreciate the light weight and protection a good bag offers. And, the convenience of the backpack straps. I feel the bag for the X7 is every bit as nice as the one for the Mini, different shape, though.

I don't fly commercially if I can help it, and it has been decades since I carried a guitar on a commercial airline. The gig bag works for my style of travel: boat or motorhome, where I am the only one handling my guitar.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
.......When I've travelled back and forth by air between my home in Canada and winter home in Florida, I have shipped my Chimaera as checked baggage in its hard shell case all enclosed in the box the case came in. My understanding is that Emerald now has a form-fitting gigbag for the Chimaera and based on the quality you all are finding with their gigbags, I'm considering ordering one, but wondering if they are considered durable enough to ship my Chimaera in the gigbag and in a box, with extra padding in the box if required. Thoughts?
No. I never trust the airlines any farther than I can throw them. There have been way too many bad experiences over my 800,000+ air miles of business and personal travel. I am trying hard to *never* fly commercial again, to the point where I'll close up the business and retire first. Now ask me how I really feel....

If any guitar could survive being checked inside a gig bag and a sturdy shipping box, it would be a carbon fiber guitar. Still I would go for the hard case that you already have, inside the box. Use your gig bag as a suitcase for clothing during the flight. Even airlines would have a hard time breaking clothing. When you get south, it is then easy enough to choose either case depending on your needs of the moment. I've used my SKB i-Series flight case for the guitar, and a gig bag as a checked suit case, then switched to the gig bag on the other end for more portability.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 PM

I actually really love the X20 gig bag. I use the shoulder straps, the bag fits the body well, is extremely well padded and has those big high quality zippers (you know the ones). It's my go to guitar any time I'm leaving the house, and barring a situation where something heavy would go on top of it I trust it like a hard case
Old 12-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
No. I never trust the airlines any farther than I can throw them. There have been way too many bad experiences over my 800,000+ air miles of business and personal travel. I am trying hard to *never* fly commercial again, to the point where I'll close up the business and retire first. Now ask me how I really feel....

If any guitar could survive being checked inside a gig bag and a sturdy shipping box, it would be a carbon fiber guitar. Still I would go for the hard case that you already have, inside the box. Use your gig bag as a suitcase for clothing during the flight. Even airlines would have a hard time breaking clothing. When you get south, it is then easy enough to choose either case depending on your needs of the moment. I've used my SKB i-Series flight case for the guitar, and a gig bag as a checked suit case, then switched to the gig bag on the other end for more portability.
Smart solution!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks gentlemen.

I was thinking that since CF guitar builders are often shipping guitars in boxed gigbags likely without much adverse affect, perhaps the Emerald bags are comparatively quite robust and thought to be able to handle airline checked baggage.

But...Earl, your point is well-taken. In terms of using a gigbag for stuffed luggage, good idea, but we travel quite light, having wardrobes at both residences. I do want to have a gigbag for the Chimaera for local lugging around, so perhaps the best solution would be to continue to ship my Chimaera as checked baggage in its boxed hard shell case, and buy two gigbags, one kept at each residence.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:40 PM

Tom ! Save money on all those cases and bags. Travel even lighter.

Simply get another Emerald guitar to keep at your other place.

You're welcome.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Tom ! Save money on all those cases and bags. Travel even lighter.

Simply get another Emerald guitar to keep at your other place.

You're welcome.
You know LJ, I actually thought about that. The problem is, I'll probably like it so much I'll want to enjoy it in both places. But...the Chimaera isn't even a travel guitar, it isn't even a normal size guitar (though really, apart for the width of the two necks, the body is only about an inch wider than a GA, yet thinner), yet I like it so much for all it offers that I want to travel with it. Life is sooo tough.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
You know LJ, I actually thought about that. The problem is, I'll probably like it so much I'll want to enjoy it in both places. But...the Chimaera isn't even a travel guitar, it isn't even a normal size guitar (though really, apart for the width of the two necks, the body is only about an inch wider than a GA, yet thinner), yet I like it so much for all it offers that I want to travel with it. Life is sooo tough.
Tough indeed. 'Round these parts we call that a "first world problem".
Old 12-15-2016, 11:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Tough indeed. 'Round these parts we call that a "first world problem".
Ya got that right!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:37 AM

The Emerald gig bag that came with my new X20 a couple months ago is really nice. It fits the X20 very snugly, the padding seems dense and firm, the zipper is very high quality and seems like it will last, and there's a pretty large storage pocket on the outside that's big enough for sheet music plus capos, tuners, etc (and uh, a beer or two). Only weakness is the shoulder straps should be longer. I'm 6'2" 210 lbs and I have to extend the straps all the way and it's still a little tight and one of the straps pulled past the stop at the end but the other held on so it didn't fall.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
For those of you with the latest Emerald gigbags, please comment on their quality, sizing, durability and accesssories storage. Are they very form-fitting to the various guitar models? I assume they now are, but I ask because the gigbag that originally came with my Chimaera was about 6" too long at the headstock and an overall loose fit, so I have since obtained Emerald's hard shell case designed for the Chimaera...nice case.

When I've travelled back and forth by air between my home in Canada and winter home in Florida, I have shipped my Chimaera as checked baggage in its hard shell case all enclosed in the box the case came in. My understanding is that Emerald now has a form-fitting gigbag for the Chimaera and based on the quality you all are finding with their gigbags, I'm considering ordering one, but wondering if they are considered durable enough to ship my Chimaera in the gigbag and in a box, with extra padding in the box if required. Thoughts?
When you flew and checked your guitar did you pack anything around it? Put any 'fragile' stickers on it? How dented was the box after the trip? Ken
Old 12-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
When you flew and checked your guitar did you pack anything around it? Put any 'fragile' stickers on it? How dented was the box after the trip? Ken
Ken, the hardshell case fits snug in the box it came in, so no, I didn't need to put anything around the case in the box. Although the guitar fits snugly in the case, I did place a towel under the necks. I used a heavy marker pen to write "Fragile - Musical Instrument" on the box, but at the airport, they also put large red/white stickers on it. The box wasn't dented at all, pretty much unscathed. However, customs did open and repeal it. They even opened the guitar case. I know this because they left a form inside stating it had been inspected. I checked the guitar, all was good. Probably shocked the agent(s) to see such a radical looking doubleneck beast.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

Excuse me for hijacking your thread but I'm not sure if you received my response to your suitcase guitar suggestion. First, thank you, the instrument you suggested might well make an acoustic guitar that would fit in a suitcase.

However, I am not travelling much now-a-days and I am now focused on a nylon string, slim, hollow, no sound hole, electric guitar. It's a type of guitar that I have not really explored and curiosity drives the focus. I've ordered an
Antonio Lopez and look forward to a new experience.

And thanks again for your many contributions to this an other forums dealing with carbon fiber instruments.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Smile

I'd be afraid to put my axes in the cargo hold. If they break it they would only pay you a certain amount. I think it's $600 or something. If you ship it it you could insure it. Do you think your chimera would fit in am overhead compartment? Probably wouldn't in a puddle jumper.

Chimera= double barrel weapon under X-ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber