The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Default CA for Drop Fills

Hello - I have a spruce top poly-urethane finish (BlueRidge) that I'll want to try my hand a drop filling a pretty good sized gouge in the top.

Will regular CA from the hardware store (Loctite) work for this. or is the Stewmac CA far superior for this repair?

Thx
Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Loctite has MANY different CA products/formulations. Each has somewhat different properties and intended target applications. I haven't found anything "special" about Stewmac's CA glue though they sell a few useful add-on/tips.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:12 PM

My favorite CA glue by far (in medium viscosity) is from Loctite. It's hardware store variety labeled "professional liquid" and in a blue bottle. I buy thin and thick from Stewmac.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Pretty deep gouge in this top. I noticed that Stew mac has an amber tinted CA. The top at issue has an aging toner applied.

[IMG][/IMG]

The color more resembles this next image.

[IMG][/IMG]

Any opinions on using the amber tinted CA on a drop fill like this one? I suspect matching the color is next to impossible. Having never attempted this repair, I've a few wall-hangers I intend to experiment with first. I've seen the Stewmac drop fill video, and wouldn't even try this having watched it.

Thanks for the feedback on CA options. I've had good results with Loctite in the past for other tasks.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Amber is gonna be too dark for that.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:43 PM

Most any dent in spruce where the fibers are damaged will end up darker than the wood when drop-filled.
In other words, I would stick with clear CA (no pun intended).
I use thin CA for most drop fills, but the extra working time of medium viscosity may be useful for a novice.
For application, a toothpick or similar item works fine for me. Just drop some glue from the bottle onto a shallow dish, dip the toothpick in it and touch it to the dent. My 'dish' is a thin piece of aluminum sheet similar to a soda can. I bend the edges up a little to keep the glue from running off of it.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:03 AM

Thanks John for your input. I always feel a little more confident going forward with repairs when you weigh in on my questions.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I have a spruce top poly-urethane finish (BlueRidge)
To clarify, it is a polyester finish, not polyurethane.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair