The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Guest 928

I am surprised that the company does not monitor this forum closely enough to deal with an issue like this the minute it hits public notice.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hopefully this is just a one-off issue for KM Guitars that they'll make good on, but because of Ellis Seal's involvement in their design, and as he was former owner/designer of Composite Acoustics Guitars up until about 2010, I can't help but wonder if KM is having a QC problem such as what lead to the demise of CA. Again, hope not. Maybe I shouldn't even post about this notion.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Lulu,

I am not sure about your description as the design of the KM is with a cantilever neck where it joins the body. I have owned a KM and the quality was wonderful ... I would either check with Macpherson or a dealer to review these concerns.

Chris
I'm guessing the OP is referring to a space between the neck heel and the body.

OP, any update on this?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I'm guessing the OP is referring to a space between the neck heel and the body.

OP, any update on this?
Yeah, cuz that would be a problem... [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 01:24 PM

I'm not sure what is going on with that bracing...just glad it's on the inside!

But yeah--neck problems/changes are the one thing that you should never have with a CF guitar! And after a dozen+ CF guitars from various builders, I can say that changes due to time/climate just don't happen. (I did own a few pre-Peavey Composite Acoustics with necks that seemed too flexible with pressure, and with poor neck angles...two design/material issues that Peavey apparently put a lot of effort into correcting.)

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the neck/issue. If the neck bolts on, I guess it could be as simple as bolts failing or not originally being tightened properly.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Kevin Michael is a composite guitar, even more so than the typical "carbon fiber guitar."
We've all used the term "carbon fiber" broadly, as all CF guitar manufacturers use other composite materials to varying degrees.
But comparatively, the KM contains less of what we specifically consider to be "carbon fiber:" woven carbon fiber cloth.

Other than the top (which I'd bet arrives in rigid, pre-cured sheets that are CNC'd/routered to top shape), the only other woven carbon fiber on the guitar are veneers on the headstock faceplate and the heelcap (oh, and that bracing, it seems).

The back/sides/neck are molded, as I understand, with a mix of loose fibers and resin/compound. (Compared to other CF manufacturers, you might say this is closer to what Ovation did for their bowls, after abandoning fiberglass layup in '80ish--except, instead of using sheet moulding compound and loose glass fibers, the KM uses some kind of compound/resin and loose carbon fibers...and they're doing this for the neck too, which I'd assume is reinforced by carbon fiber rods for strength). Since it's proprietary, there's no information about the ratios of this mixture, or strength...so I'm not saying it's bad--maybe it's great stuff! But the process/material is different, and this is a composite guitar with a carbon fiber top.

(My primary concern after the strength of their proprietary composite: given what might be called "manufacturing shortcuts," why doesn't the KM have a lower price? I understand, niche market, investments, etc...but other builders' processes seem far more intensive and expensive, so why not take advantage of that to undercut competitors? If that kind of question isn't allowed on AGF, please PM me or edit this out.)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
I'm not sure what is going on with that bracing...just glad it's on the inside!

But yeah--neck problems/changes are the one thing that you should never have with a CF guitar! And after a dozen+ CF guitars from various builders, I can say that changes due to time/climate just don't happen. (I did own a few pre-Peavey Composite Acoustics with necks that seemed too flexible with pressure, and with poor neck angles...two design/material issues that Peavey apparently put a lot of effort into correcting.)

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the neck/issue. If the neck bolts on, I guess it could be as simple as bolts failing or not originally being tightened properly.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Kevin Michael is a composite guitar, even more so than the typical "carbon fiber guitar."
We've all used the term "carbon fiber" broadly, as all CF guitar manufacturers use other composite materials to varying degrees.
But comparatively, the KM contains less of what we specifically consider to be "carbon fiber:" woven carbon fiber cloth.

Other than the top (which I'd bet arrives in rigid, pre-cured sheets that are CNC'd/routered to top shape), the only other woven carbon fiber on the guitar are veneers on the headstock faceplate and the heelcap (oh, and that bracing, it seems).

The back/sides/neck are molded, as I understand, with a mix of loose fibers and resin/compound. (Compared to other CF manufacturers, you might say this is closer to what Ovation did for their bowls, after abandoning fiberglass layup in '80ish--except, instead of using sheet moulding compound and loose glass fibers, the KM uses some kind of compound/resin and loose carbon fibers...and they're doing this for the neck too, which I'd assume is reinforced by carbon fiber rods for strength). Since it's proprietary, there's no information about the ratios of this mixture, or strength...so I'm not saying it's bad--maybe it's great stuff! But the process/material is different, and this is a composite guitar with a carbon fiber top.

(My primary concern after the strength of their proprietary composite: given what might be called "manufacturing shortcuts," why doesn't the KM have a lower price? I understand, niche market, investments, etc...but other builders' processes seem far more intensive and expensive, so why not take advantage of that to undercut competitors? If that kind of question isn't allowed on AGF, please PM me or edit this out.)
I think that was a strategy CA took with the Cargo under Ellis Seal and in hindsight likely contributed to CAs demise (until Peavey took over). I don't think Ellis or McPherson would want that to happen again.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Sorted.

Very pleased.
They have exceptional customer service.
They are sending me a new guitar.

This is the only guitar I ever want to play for the rest of my life.

Good company. And good guitars.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullabalulu View Post
Very pleased.
They have exceptional customer service.
They are sending me a new guitar.

This is the only guitar I ever want to play for the rest of my life.

Good company. And good guitars.
That's great news, hulla. Did you happen to get any explanation as to what was going on with the guitar and why it left McPherson with the apparent issues?
Old 12-30-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
That's great news, hulla. Did you happen to get any explanation as to what was going on with the guitar and why it left McPherson with the apparent issues?
I'm also wondering about this, but there may be rules at play since the guitar is flat out being replaced. Thanks for posting regardless- there is not much presence here at all from McPherson or from Ellis so we are left to wonder with not much else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber