The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Default Top E string gets stuck in fret end when pulled off fretboard...

Hi all

On one of my guitars I'm having a problem whereby the there's a tiny gap between the fret and fretboard on frets 1 and 2, on the bottom of edge of the board that is (the part facing the floor). As such, any time the top E is pulled of the fretboard, it gets caught in the gap needs to be pulled back out to be playable again.

How should I go about fixing this?

Many thanks

Max
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 AM

Just to confirm what you are saying, there is a gap between the top (playing surface) of the fretboard and the fret, and not a case of the fret sticking out past the edge where it would snag your finger? A gap would need the fret reseated flush with the board using a small soft faced mallet.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM

This is a common issue on many guitars. If the fret has come loose and is riding high, AND if the fret still holds tightly in the slot, you could try a mallet as another poster suggested. However, if the fret is high, there is probably a reason it is that way, that will possibly require clamping and gluing to rectify.

Another possible scenario that I have seen many times is when the fret is in fact level. This scenario would require careful application of some glue under the fret end (and perhaps filing the fret ends slightly) to rectify the hooking action.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull27 View Post
How should I go about fixing this?
This isn't uncommon: the fret ends in question are not fully "seated". There are a number of ways of fixing this depending on the cause of the fret ends sticking up and what skills/tools you have.

First-off, determine if the fret end is loose and can be pressed downwards onto the fingerboard. You can press on it with the eraser end of a pencil or a wooden dowel, or similar semi-soft surface. If the gap will close, but opens again when the pressure is removed, one option is to put a drop of cyanoacrylate glue under the fret end then press and hold the fret down until the glue sets. There is the potential to make a real mess of your instrument if you are not surgically-careful with the CA glue.

If the fret end cannot be pressed to close the gap, chances are that the fret slot isn't deep enough at the ends or that something is preventing the fret from fully seating. But it could also be caused by a dozen other things that would require first-hand inspection. Unless you are familiar with fret work, that would be something for an experienced repair person.

I posted at the same time Ned did: what he said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair