The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Martin Saddle Too Low

I have a 1976 D-28 (neck set, bridge work) with a very low saddle....... the guitar is used for fingerstyle & has light guage strings.
The volume and tone have suffered because of the low saddle. My question is if I change to medium guage strings will I get back some of the lost volume and tone.
Thank you,
Dan
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Daniel: Not sure if you are saying the guitar has had a neck reset or needs a neck reset.Sounds like it may need one. If your saddle is low,the strings may be getting too close to the top. Check the distance between the bottom of the low e and the top at the bridge. This should be close to 1/2". Much lower and the top does not get worked to it's full potential,thus affecting both volume and tone. Medium strings should bring back some of your volume.

Tom

Last edited by Tom West; 01-05-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Daniel: Not sure if you are saying the guitar has had a neck reset or needs a neck reset.Sounds like it may need one. If your saddle is low,the strings may be getting too close to the top. Check the distance between the bottom of the low e and the top at the bridge. This should be close to 1/2". Much lower and the top does not get worked to it's full potential,thus affecting both volume and tone. Medium strings should bring back some of your volume.

Tom
Tom,
The guitar has had a neck reset and bridge work by a Martin authorized luthier. The distance between the bottom of the low e and the top at the bridge is about 7/16. The guitar has never sounded the same with regards to volume and tone since the neck reset & bridge work. I just don’t know but am thinking that my request to the luthier to lower the saddle even more along with the use of light gauge strings is part of the problem (guitar used for fingerstyle).
Thanks for your help,
Dan
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Tom,
The guitar has had a neck reset and bridge work by a Martin authorized luthier. The distance between the bottom of the low e and the top at the bridge is about 7/16. The guitar has never sounded the same with regards to volume and tone since the neck reset & bridge work. I just don’t know but am thinking that my request to the luthier to lower the saddle even more along with the use of light gauge strings is part of the problem (guitar used for fingerstyle).
Thanks for your help,
Dan
Like in the *other* thread about this: Bad reset.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
...The guitar has had a neck reset and bridge work by a Martin authorized luthier...
Sadly, and from experience, that means nothing with regard to a repairman's ability to complete a complex task properly.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Sadly, and from experience, that means nothing with regard to a repairman's ability to complete a complex task properly.
And sadly apparent from this debacle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair