The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue in VT View Post
Howdy all,

I've recently been really drawn to archtop guitars....not sure why exactly but its a fun new area to explore.

Just curious how many of ya'll play fingerpicking tunes on their arch tops...and what kinds you have?

cheers,

Blue
I probably play an archtop 1/2 of the time and fingerpick it 1/2 of that time. I've got an old one-off Gibson L4-C-something (oval hole) from the 40's, and a 4 or 5 year old Eastman 803ce (f holes). I think at the acoustic low levels I tend to play at that they're just terrific for fingerpicking.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
This is some seriously nice music.

I don't buy much music, but I like this enough to maybe even spring for a CD.

And I might buy a slide a some point too.... cool stuff!
+1!!! Some VERY tasty playing there, Howard!
1950's Hoyer Meisterklasse
2003 Santa Cruz Vintage Artist
2013 Haxton Special (Nick Lucas model)
2019 Fairbanks Nick Lucas
a bunch of other stuff I really ought to sell...
Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I love the sound that Howard and Riovine get from fingerpicking their archtops. As a fingerpicker, I have tried many, many different archtops in the hopes of getting a sound that I like; I haven't succeeded yet. Either I just haven't found the right one, or my playing style simply isn't suited.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Wow some superb playing there boys...Howard I've always enjoyed your tunes...and you are in the same musical genre that prefer. My question for you is can you still palm mute comfortably on the arch top?

Cheers,

Blue

Larrivee OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
Silvercreek T-170
Composite Acoustics Cargo RAW
Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue in VT View Post
Wow some superb playing there boys...Howard I've always enjoyed your tunes...and you are in the same musical genre that prefer. My question for you is can you still palm mute comfortably on the arch top?

Cheers,

Blue
Hi Blue,
Thanks for the kind words!

Playing an archtop is not so much different than playing a flattop from my perspective, especially from a tonal/sustain point of view because I've got such a freaky instrument.

If it were like your typical archtop with sharp attack, limited bass response and quick decay, it would be a different story, but it's not any of those.

I actually don't mute with my palm, so much as the side of my hand down from the pinky, and in truth I really don't do a lot of muting.

I look at muting like any seasoning: A little, used judiciously, adds flavor.

I'm certainly not from the Chet Atkin's school in that regard, especially his older electric stuff!!

Some of the muting that I do entails grabbing strings that I don't want to ring with fingers that are otherwise idle. I refer to this as 'spidering'

There's also the muting in back of the bottleneck with my trailing fingers.

I suppose because I tend to pluck my strings closer to the bridge than many other players it might appear as if I'm resting on the saddle, but most of the time I'm just hovering above it.

The saddle is the most controllable location from which to mute as it's closest to the fulcrum point. Too far forward and the string stops dead in its tracks. Too far back, nada.

Hope that explanation helps some.

Regards,
HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Hi Howard!

Yes, it's me, in Arizona. Hope all is well back east. When's the next CD due out?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Howard!

Yes, it's me, in Arizona. Hope all is well back east. When's the next CD due out?
Hi David,
The next CD..........hmmmmm.......Very reasonable question.

I don't know, but it is not for lack of having enough material. It's primarily just a function of me trying to keep my nose to the grindstone on construction and renovations around the house.

If I have to concentrate on one thing at a time, that thing will benefit enough to assauge my frustration:-)

Yeah............that's the ticket.......

I'm so easy to convince............and hanging out here has definitely helped me learn how to use my time wisely.

I'll keep you, and all the rest, posted when I'm fixin' to get into the studio again!

Best,
Howard
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi David,
The next CD..........hmmmmm.......Very reasonable question.

I don't know, but it is not for lack of having enough material. It's primarily just a function of me trying to keep my nose to the grindstone on construction and renovations around the house.
The sound of hammers and especially circular saws can really spoil a good take. Not to mention how tough it is to play guitar with one hand while you're driving a nail with the other.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
The sound of hammers and especially circular saws can really spoil a good take. Not to mention how tough it is to play guitar with one hand while you're driving a nail with the other.
Hi Brent,
Actually I use a table saw and pneumatic pin & nail guns..........I use a Bosch jig saw in place of a circular saw when I need to be 'portable'.

Nothing cracks plaster like a hammer's repeated blows!

HE
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
I've got an old one-off Gibson L4-C-something (oval hole) from the 40's.
Hi Papol, if you're still following this thread, could you post pics of your old oval hole Gibson? I've got a similar guitar - a one-off 1948 L7-P round hole, and I'd love to see it's cousin.

-Arch
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM

I do some picking on an old Gibson L-50 (I think it is...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WagBNucykpo
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I do some picking on an old Gibson L-50 (I think it is...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WagBNucykpo
Hey Frosty,
Wow...........Great sounding, played great!

That guitar is probably late 1930's I think, but possibly early '40's.

Nice arrangement.

HE
Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Christian,
I can lend you $35.

That's all my L-5 cost me back in 1976.

Here's another taste of it, in video, if you'll just fast-foward to 3:40 in the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Gho...eature=related

HE
[software here deleted a common expletive not considered serious enough to censor on every other forum I've ever seen. Yet a thread can be titled "Lap Dances" and begin by talking about a 12 year old girl! Go figure.]. I way overpaid for mine in the same year.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Howard -- just ordered both the CDs. After hearing the samples from the first one, I was kind of hoping the second one wouldn't be as good so that I'd only end up popping for one. I should have known better. Both are clearly must-haves.

Archtops really are visually striking. As part of my recent swap of a mandolin for a guitar (more about that later, perhaps), someone sent me some pictures of a great looking flat top with f-holes and archtop-like appointments. I think it was a Dell Arte, maybe. I have no idea what it sounded like but it was a very pretty guitar, having a lot of that archtop vibe visually. I suspect it would run less than an archtop because carving those puppies is a really time-intensive proposition (although some are pressed, I realize). Although less than an archtop, my impression was that it was still a pretty expensive box. Guitars come in so many different styles, it's little wonder that we all go crazy over them.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
[software here deleted a common expletive not considered serious enough to censor on every other forum I've ever seen. Yet a thread can be titled "Lap Dances" and begin by talking about a 12 year old girl! Go figure.]. I way overpaid for mine in the same year.
Oh poop, Howard,
In Roman numerals, what'd it setcha back?

Yes, the priorities are a little odd sometimes.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops