The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Firsthand experience with Roberto Venn

As I approach retirement and contemplate the next chapter of my life, I've thought about learning to build and repair guitars. I was wondering if anyone has firsthand knowledge about the Roberto Venn School of Luthiery or can recommend another good program to learn the trade. Truth be told, I'm really more interested in learning repair than building. Thanks..........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Sounds like wonderful plans for post-retirement! I have no real knowledge about this school but I did comission a guitar from a builder who not only attended there but spent some time teaching at the school after graduation. His name is Kent Hamblin (web site is something like www.hamblin-guitars.com). Wonderful guitars, by the way.

Anyway, Kent is a very friendly person and I bet he would be willing to speak to you about it if you contacted him.

Good luck with this new chapter in your life!

Last edited by wthurman; 08-05-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Corrected link ;)
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM

You might want to also take a look at Bryan Galloup's school.

I didn't go there, but I know some folks who did. Bryan seems to have a repair as well as building curriculum.

You might also see if you have a (good) repair shop close by and see if you can hang around and help out (for free). That is a pretty good way to learn too. IIRC Jimmy D'Aquisto did that at John D'Angelico's shop... and look at where it got him.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM

According to their website, the Music Emporium's guitar tech is a graduate, you might contact him. www.themusicemporium.com

Great plan, I've had much the same post-retirement idea, right after I grow the ponytail, buy the hog, dress in leather, learn biker-speak, don the sunglasses and tour the country, an occasional postcard to the wife and kids, lots of time in the southwest. Seriously.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info about Bryan Galloup's program. Looks a lot more do-able...........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post

Great plan, I've had much the same post-retirement idea, right after I grow the ponytail, buy the hog, dress in leather, learn biker-speak, don the sunglasses and tour the country, an occasional postcard to the wife and kids, lots of time in the southwest. Seriously.
I had the ponytail several years back and just sold the Harley (but never did fit in). I'd still like to visit the southwest. Going to Roberto Venn in Phoenix would accomplish two goals..........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

I'd also talk to Kent Hamblin (mentioned above). He attended and later taught there. And I agree that there are other places, as well as ways to learn... including apprenticeships, or using kits, or just jumping right on in there.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops