The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-25-2007, 08:11 PM

Default re: Squier Tele pickups

I know little about acoustic pickups, (All I know is I like K&K and it's all I've used) and I know less about electric. I bought a 2nd hand Squier Tele just to fool around with. I have an opportunity to get a pretty good deal on a complete set of USA Fender Pickups, pots, and switch, all prewired. Would this be a decent upgrade to the Squier or are the two guitar's parts too similar to begin with to notice any difference. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:38 PM

I think upgrading is an excellent idea. There is a significant difference between the American and the Asian pickups (I was a Fender authorized service technician for 20 years). I've a Squier Strat that I've played and loved since the early 80's. Many Squiers (especially the Japanese) benefit from better electronics and tuning machines and can be made into very serviceable players. Of course, some need a great deal more. I'd readily suggest trying the pickups, pots, switches and jacks. Good Luck to you, Bill.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 AM

Thanks for that Bill. A few of my friends have Strats and Teles, and I really couldn't see any _substantial_ differences when I picked this one up. (I really got it for a song) and now I"m having fun with it, both by playing it and tweaking it to make it better. One thing I noticed was the fret edges weren't smooth like on the upscale models... so I filed and buffed them a little now they're fine. I also noticed that the output from the pickups was less than on my Larrivee or Taylor both of which have K&K passives in them, and the pots weren't exactly quiet. That's why I started thinking about swapping in the first place. Anyhow, once again thanks.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Reworking the fret ends is not unusual for many of the Squier guitars. At the volume the workers are expected to put out at the price point they must achieve, they don't have a great deal of time to spend on the little details (yet details which still matter-like fret ends that aren't sharp). When I was tech-ing, during slow periods one of my responsibilities was to check and fine tune these kind of details and incomplete fretwork was very common not just on Squiers. Good luck on your Squier and Happy upcoming New Year. Regards, Bill.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:43 PM

i've a few squires around the stable ...some come with outstanding pups..some not so great..some have very "finished" appointments..some do not. it has been my experience that if you're thinking of buying a squire you should play the one you are considering..the very one..they tend to be a bit inconsistent.
i've been lucky so far in that the ones i have purchased on line were either pretty good or quite serviceable. however, the one that i picked up on a closeout from mars music some years ago (a strat type) is a real gem and was dirt cheap..it happens..if you have the patience to play alot of them.
on the other hand, the duncan designed pups in my tele are , shal we say, not stellar but, satisfactory ( a future mod, i think) while the noiseless pups in my fender strat are, to my mind, weak but, very mellow ( another mod?)...my , my but this can get complicated...
so, back to what i originally said...if you like the one you played i wouldn't hesitate because someone else will find THAT one before you decide ( we're out there looking, ya know...) or, be prepared to do some tinkering to get what you want...
btw...fret dressing is one of the most erratic things i have found.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 PM

And really, what you're saying should apply to most ANY brand or type of musical instrument. Wooden instruments have such variety that you should try before you buy. My own Squier is a Japanese from the 80's and has been a superb guitar. I changed the pickups to early 60's Danalectro lipsticks, changed the machines and electronics and have been happy ever since. Like you say, I auditioned several at the shop and this was the one I preferred. It's lightweight, its neck fits my hand perfectly and it sings for me. To top it off, I got it on clearance for $150 new from a shop which dissed Asian instruments. Truly, one man's trash is another man's Stratocaster. Regards, Bill.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
Truly, one man's trash is another man's Stratocaster.
i got a big amen to that one, brother!...i'm the original "low rent connoisseur"...i pride myself on finding the diamonds in the rough at atrociously low prices and , in my experience, the squires have been some of the best finds (especially the "crafted in china" models) with ibanez hot on their heels (also chinese built models) ...now, acoustics are a different ball game but, i still just love a great cheap find!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification