The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Quackbuster ? for rainsong

Hi rainsong,

Is your Quackbuster-on-order intended for a Fishman Matrix-equipped guitar? (Its my vague recollection that you have a Matrix-equipped guitar, in addition to the Baggs Element-equipped Rainsong dread.)

If so, Coachdoc49 (over on the AG mag Gear forum) may need the benefit of your soon-to-be Quackbuster/Matrix experience. He's currently trying to tweak the bridge/saddle setup to get a better performance from the Fishman Ellipse VT system in his Martin J-40. (Its basically a Matrix system with a soundhole mounted control panel. Doc is unhappy with its performance, especially in comparison to the DTAR Wavelength system in his other guitar.) If the bridge/saddle tweak doesn't help, I've suggested adding a Quackbuster as one of the possible fixes.

Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=1;t=027517

And of course, I'm also quite interested in learning how your Quackbuster experiment turns out, whether its relevent to Doc's situation or not. I suspect that others might be interested as well. Please keep us updated.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-21-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 AM

Hey Gary,
I haven't recieved it yet. I ordered it on Dec 7th and figured David needed some time to wire up the on/off switch so I haven't bugged him on it. Guess it's been enough time so I'll e-mail a gentle reminder... I was hoping to get it this week so I had enough time to hook it up and try it out at the next open-mic I'm hosting on New Years Day (not my idea, but I host on every first Tuesday and the bar owner wants to be open. Hope it's not just me and the crickets!) I will keep you posted.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Mike

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Sorry, in answer to the 2nd question: Yes, it will go in my Matrix equipped Yamaha FG-345 which I run through a PADI.

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Thanks, rainsong. I look forward to the report.

Once again, I think you were smart to get the switch with it, even though that custom add-on is apparently causing some delay. It will make A/B comparisons very easy. It would also make sample comparison recordings very easy if the Quackbuster happens to works especially well. It that event, an A/B/C comparison might even be interesting. I'm thinking Matrix vs Matrix with Aura vs Matrix with Quackbuster.

In any event, I'm looking forward to the report.
Gary

PS I just recalled that you're also an open mic host. You might find this amusing.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...;f=23;t=000076

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-21-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
PS I just recalled that you're also an open mic host. You might find this amusing.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...;f=23;t=000076
That's a good one! I think I'm pretty luck compared to a lot of open mic hosts. For one, I only host once a month so it doesn't get too old for me or the participants. Two, we usually have a pretty good pool of talent (occasionally a clunker, but for the most part good musicians. Once we even had Bo Diddley's son!) And three, they tip pretty well. I usually make between 80-100 bucks (which I have to split if the other half of the duo I'm in is able to make it). We still get the occasional stumbling bumpkin which is why I usually have everybody play the loaner Yamaha (if they don't have their own instrument) and keep my Aura and Rainsong safely out of harms way and only use it for myself. Yes, I will have to make a good A/B/C comparison between the Matrix/Aura/Quackbuster. I have a pretty nice 8-track Fostex recorder that I will need to dust off and figure out how to make M3's and post them...

www.donohoeandgrimes.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification