The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Overdrive on acoustic?

Is there anyone here who has had success using an overdrive or light distortion pedal with a piezo-eqipped acoustic?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 PM

The Visual Sounds Route 66 pedal has a nice vintage tone to it I've not used it personally to any great extent except a short test drive, but I've seen Phil Keaggy use it in concert and it has a neat effect on certain passages.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 12-21-2007, 04:46 AM

I use the Route 66 occasionally with a Songwriter Deluxe and a 814ce...I probably use the compression side of it more than the OD, but I've had decent results using the OD, particularly using it with damping techniques...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajwp View Post
Is there anyone here who has had success using an overdrive or light distortion pedal with a piezo-eqipped acoustic?
Hi nosajwp...
Sure, I've used overdrive pedals for fun with acoustic guitar in the past. I made sure to use ones with output control so I didn't get into a feedback loop with the amp.

Recently I've seen both Dave Beegle and the aforementioned Phil Keaggy using the Route 66 with good effect to play lead parts on their acoustics.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajwp View Post
I have on my modest Crate amp, which has an "overdrive" push-button. No, it isn't as sophisticated as the pedal systems, but occasionaly on some "Gospel Rockers"--one which we really like is the old tried and true "Just A Closer Walk With Thee"--hardly "contemporary" but it has some kick, I'll cut in a bit of overdrive for a solo verse on my 855. At that point, it REALLY sounds like an electric. Just for variety. Works for me!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification