The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Default 1996 Somogyi Classical in spruce/EIR-- $7500 OBO

Looking to sell my Somogyi classical. I believe it is sitka spruce and E.I. rosewood. It has Brazilian bindings, endgraft, and headstock veneer, and a nice maple veneer on the reverse. I think the bridge in wenge, but could be wrong. Awesome black/abalone Gilbert tuners.

The condition is very good for 20 years old. It has quite a few of the usual bumps and dings in the top and back from honest use, and the French polish on the top has worn a bit thin and unevenly. It has a few plastic films adhered to the treble side for an ErgoPlay system and a previous owner had a very makeshift position marker for the 7th fret made in the side of the neck (almost feels and looks like solder?). There have been no repairs or other modifications made. It has a number of scratches on the back, one of which is quite straight and suspect looking, but is confirmed to be a scratch only, and not a crack.

I have owned a little of everything and can say the tone of this one is truly magical. Its very punching and arresting, clear and bell-like across all registers, with exactly the right amount of overtone content. I was asked to describe it previously and the best I could come up with is: think of the most powerful and perfect negra you can imagine, but with notes that explode off the top and continue to bloom and hang around, as opposed to getting out of each other's way as would be expected in true flamenco fashion. Somogyi discusses building guitars one hair above the point of implosion; this is a perfect description of it.

Measures as follows (for the metric-ly challenged):
Scale: 25 1/2"
Saddle spacing: 2 1/4"
Nut Width: 2"
Upper bout: 10 7/8"
Lower bout: 14 5/8"
Depth at heel: 3 1/2"
Depth at endblock: 3 3/4"

I was going to hang onto it both to enjoy, but also as an investment assuming Somogyi will one day retire, but I guess plans change.

I am looking for $7500 OBO plus shipping and fees. I will leave it up for a week or so, and then it will go for consignment at almost twice my asking.

PM or emails to gandhi85 AT aol DOT com

Last edited by gandhi85; 01-26-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Default wow

Wow, that a beaut!! I've never played one but I imagine heavenly tones when i see one. GLWS
Pics Of My Guitar Herd
'03 Martin 000-JBP (#64 of 305)
'06 Martin OM-28V
'90 Martin D35 Shadetop (Genuinely Aged)
'19 Martin 00-18V Ambertone (Custom Order)
'11 Taylor T5 Koa Deluxe
Awaiting - PWGC Single 0 Brazilian Shadetop

Live life loud, so when the silence falls, everyone will know that you are gone.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

this one's probably going for trade, so act fast if you want it!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

This one is off to a new owner, thanks to all who showed interest

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars