The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 PM

Default Live recording where to place interface in my chain questions

Hi I'm doing a Gig coming up in a few days and I have a question about the best way to hook things up.

First off I have an IPhone 6 Plus, Presounus itwo studio pack interface, Acoustic Play pedal, Behringer 1002FX USB mixer.
Now I made a few recordings in past using the mixer and was not happy with the results into laptop but that could have been me.

So I bought the Presounus iTwo but it won't come until a day or so before I need to use it. I think this will be a better way as just using my built in phone mic and garage band has given me results I'm more happy with. Then mixer to laptop.

The other thing you need to know is that I have a lyric in the guitar and use the acoustic play for my EQ and guitar DI. Primarily the Acoustic play pedal I use also as reverb type effects for my vocals and not really any harmonizing.

Now one option I thought of is running my mic and guitar through the pedal first then into the interface and using the interface as a mic in while recording video from my phone and capture video audio together. All effects would be handled by the pedal but would be recorded that way and could hinder post production audio.

Or I can just use my phone in garage band and capture the evening that way audio only and maybe video shot on another camera or skip video?

I'm wanting to capture this as my wife thinks I'm gigging a surprise party for someone on our anniversary night but it's actually a private gig just for her of some select meaningful songs. So I'm not sure if better audio or less quality audio with video would be best.

Now if I just go audio do I need to worry about the guitar sound going into pedal first or just capture raw and EQ later? I think garage band on my phone is limited though and my computer sucks plus I don't have an iPad. So my phone and garage band on it is what I have to work with.

Normally I run MIC and Guitar independently into the AP pedal and come out independently into two separate channels into my mixer then mono out to my Powered speaker.

So how should I best integrate the interface into my chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM

If you use your Acoustic Play to the interface, you will be recording exactly how you sound "live" 9as if the Play was plugged into a PA system), and you will only be able to do minor adjustments to the EQ, but your reverb and overall balance will be as you have them set in the Play. Plugging straight into the interface and recording those will allow you to do some production work in GB (however that is limited my iPhone use).
You've got to decide which way you want to do it!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 PM

Thanks.
That's the problem though I'll probably have almost no time to figure it out before the day to know what's better.

But now I just realized I don't think my phone will capture two tracks separately even though they are inputed separately to my interface seems on the iPhone will only be possible to capture as a single track. Unless I can figure out how to keep them separately on the iPhone.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 AM

Well that was a recording bust [emoji45]. This performance was done off grid. Set up everything for the evening and my main battery power supply would not fire up even though battery was at 100%. Then my back up inverter which I tested earlier seemed to not work. I found two faulty cords replaced those only to discover that my inverter was only just powerful enough to run my DBR and my Acoustic play pedal. Which I need as a DI and EQ for the guitar. Trying to even run the interface caused the inverter to shut down.
In the end I just recorded a bit with my phones mic. All that rushing to get things to record this live with some quality and it went out the window.

Oh well it was a great night anyway and now I'll work on rigging a better fail safe system for running off grid. Plus I did discover I'm happy with recording into pedal then to interface out to mixer or speaker works fine so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD