The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-14-2016, 04:26 AM

Default Presounus interface monitor output too quiet help needed.

I have an important live show I want to record with my new Presounus in 48hrs so I'm hoping someone can help. I've been on the phone with a few guys but they didn't seem to know the product and I can't find any info online. I hope I'm missing something simple.

My input levels are fine I can set to clip easily. It records levels fine and play back of files is fine through a speaker or headphones direct from my IPhone.

I'll add I'm using my iPhone 6+ and Garage Band as my DAW. In GB the input levels read good capture and play back as they should.

But even if I set the levels to clip and max out the headphone output dial on the iTwo and adjust the input mix dial to where it's loudest it's about half as loud as what I would consider normally setting cans to hear the mix or level check. It's not loud enough even in a quiet setting to hear what's happening. As a rough guide is say about 25-30% volume of an iPod or iPhone to give a rough idea of how loud it can be heard. If I set headphones output level to 50% I can't hear anything.

For headphones I'm using the Presounus ones included in the studio kit. I've also hooked up my Sony MDR-V9000 and although they are louder it's still not loud enough. The Presounus headphones go loud enough when listening directly back from the phone and it's only an issue when trying to monitor through the ITwo. As I understand it the monitoring through the iTwo input full should result in bypass of the iOS device and giving zero latency but also should take the DAW out of effecting the volume.

I hope this is just user error. Perhaps I have to hook up to a computer input s setting that keeps? The guys I've spoken with so far said no there shouldn't be anything to set.

I was waiting all day to hear back from a tech guy today but I never heard back.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Assuming nothing's wrong with the interface, it sounds like you need a headphone amp. Assuming you can plug in a wallwart power supply, this one is the cheapest option.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-14-2016, 05:42 PM

Assuming nothing's wrong with the interface, there should still be no need for a headphone amp. It's an all in one unit with built in headphone amp under some reviews I've read gives lots of gain.

In all my searches I've not read of one fail and the only issues with poor output gain have been user error which I'm hoping is the case with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2016, 05:30 AM

+1 on that cheap Behringer headphone amp.

Every USB audio interface I've tried (including Presonus, Roland Quad and Duo Capture, RME Babyface) has a weedy headphone amp.

USB 2.0 spec only allows 0.5 amps which at 5 volts is only 2.5 watts to drive headphones, main outs, phantom power and all the internal circuitry.

I use Sennheiser HD25SP and AKG K702 headphones.

You may be able to find some very efficient low impedance headphones but the Behringer headphone amp pretty much fixes things for me on the cheap.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD